JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

drugs from aborted foetuses

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 1331 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

President Trump is taking a drug which he has touted as a “cure” for Covid-19, and says he will roll it out across the US.

The drug uses a combination of antibodies, and is developed by US based company Regeneron using human cells derived from an aborted foetus. 

But the Trump administration suspended funding for projects using human foetal tissue from abortions in 2019. There is no outright ban however on the use of foetal material in drug research.

At the time of the funding suspension, the Department of Health and Human Services released a statement saying: “Promoting the dignity of human life from conception to natural death is one of the very top priorities of President Trump’s administration.” 

This has raised questions about the president’s use and promotion of new coronavirus treatments which have been developed using the practice.

Remdesivir, another drug used by the president, and some vaccine development projects with White House funding also rely on the same cell lines produced from foetal tissue.

But the policy excluded cell lines made before June 2019. The cells used by most of the companies now trying to find a coronavirus treatment were derived from tissue of a foetus aborted in the 1970s.

So the latest drugs being touted by Trump don’t violate the current regulations as long as they’re not being developed using cell lines from a recently aborted foetus.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/world-54469234

1 hour ago, Mephibosheth said:

Thank you for that information, is there something specific about it that you wanted to discuss?

Not really. Just thought it might be of interest.  If I’m wrong, just delete it, Richard.

I usually am wrong, whatever I say. Anything I say may be found to be critical in some way. Discussion can easily be stifled.

1 hour ago, bohemian said:

Not really. Just thought it might be of interest

Thanks. You might find this is helpful and encourages more participation.

https://jwtalk.net/topic/46716-helpful-reminders-for-jwtalk/

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

38 minutes ago, Mephibosheth said:

Thanks. You might find this is helpful and encourages more participation.

https://jwtalk.net/topic/46716-helpful-reminders-for-jwtalk/

I understand the motives behind this, but the brochure is referring to speech with unbelievers in our ministry.  It is my belief that a strict adherence to this actually stifles healthy discussion of matters not covered specifically by Bible texts or principles.

I feel that I dare not comment any more in case someone should take offence.  Maybe the forum has served its purpose for me and it may be time to stand back.

2 hours ago, Bob said:

Well, one or two things I am gathering:

- Is a pro-life person a hypocrite for using medicine derived from aborted fetuses

- Can a Christian use medicine derived from aborted fetuses

Looks to me like you are gathering questions not information.

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

23 minutes ago, bohemian said:

I understand the motives behind this, but the brochure is referring to speech with unbelievers in our ministry.  It is my belief that a strict adherence to this actually stifles healthy discussion of matters not covered specifically by Bible texts or principles.

I feel that I dare not comment any more in case someone should take offence.  Maybe the forum has served its purpose for me and it may be time to stand back.

The moderators are trying to encourage participation and are asking that new topics have some focus to them, then it's easier for us to do our job to ensure the conversation stays on topic. When just a link to a news item is posted, it doesn't give any direction to the conversation and it's difficult for the moderators to help it stay on topic. We would be happy to discuss the article, we just need to know what you want to discuss..

Edited by Mephibosheth
CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

2 hours ago, Bob said:

- Is a pro-life person a hypocrite for using medicine derived from aborted fetuses

- Can a Christian use medicine derived from aborted fetuses

This is something we have discussed before. This subject has been twisted and presented in an exaggerated way by some media in order to advance their political agenda. They know a lot of people, especially religious people, will be scandalized by the idea of researchers using tissue from aborted babies.

None of the drugs used to fight covid19 are derived from any aborted fetus. That is simply false. The issue has to do with the tissue in which they are tested, not in the substance they are produced with.

Tissue was taken in the 1970s from the lungs of two aborted babies, that's true. Those few cells were cultured in a laboratory and many more cells were produced from them, which were cultured again generation after generation. Most drugs today are tested in tissue derived from those. I understand that some people may still object to that, and their opinion deserves respect, but it's not like this tissue researchers are using was taken from any aborted fetus, or was ever part of fetus. They are completely new cells cultured in a laboratory many years later.

34 minutes ago, bohemian said:

I feel that I dare not comment any more in case someone should take offence.

Chris, nobody has been offended by your comment. You haven't done anything wrong. I am sorry you feel that way.

We are just encouraging members to be a bit more explicit about what they wish to discuss, rather than just posting a link and letting others guess. :)

I think this is a reasonable request. After all, this is a discussion board. :)