JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

How to be Happy

So I thought I'd start a thread for everyone to share their insights, and helpful Bible principles on being a happier person, overall.
There have been publications that have stated this, and I'm convinced they're right in stating how happiness does not have to be dependent on external circumstances.
Being happy is a skill, I believe, that can be learned and practiced.

Thought I'd start with thoughts from a few publications I liked then adding my own thoughts.

starting with What it Really Takes to Be Happy:

In a nutshell: Avoid “the works of the flesh,” and cultivate “the fruitage of [God’s] spirit.” To be happy, one needs to yearn to have a close relationship with God. A person who strives to attain this will fit Jesus’ description of a happy person.

Therefore, do not mistakenly conclude that happiness is beyond your reach. Granted, at present you may be lacking good health or you may even have problems in your marriage. Perhaps the rewards of parenthood have passed you by, or you may be struggling to find a successful career. Maybe your wallet is not so full as it used to be. Nevertheless, take courage; you have no reason to despair! God’s Kingdom rule will solve these problems and hundreds more. Indeed, soon Jehovah God will make good on his promise expressed by the psalmist: “Your kingship is a kingship for all times indefinite . . . You are opening your hand and satisfying the desire of every living thing.” (Psalm 145:13, 16) As millions of servants of Jehovah around the world can testify, keeping in mind this reassuring promise of Jehovah will greatly contribute to your happiness today

Recognizing Spiritual Needs

Jesus Christ, the Son of God, said in his famous Sermon on the Mount: “Happy are those conscious of their spiritual need.” (Matthew 5:3) The world of commerce tries to mislead us into thinking that the purchase of luxuries is sufficient for happiness. It tells us that happiness is having a home computer, a video camera, a telephone, a car, the latest sports equipment, stylish clothing. What it does not tell us is that tens of millions of people in the world lack these things and yet are not necessarily unhappy. While possibly making life more comfortable and convenient, these things are not vital to happiness.

As did Paul, those conscious of their spiritual need say: “Having sustenance and covering, we shall be content with these things.” (1 Timothy 6:8) Why? Because the satisfying of spiritual needs is what leads to eternal life.—John 17:3.

Is there anything wrong with enjoying good things if we have the money to buy them? Possibly not. Still, it strengthens our spirituality to learn not to indulge every whim or to buy something just because we can afford it. We thus learn contentment and maintain happiness, as did Jesus, even though his economic situation was not the best according to worldly standards. (Matthew 8:20) And Paul was not expressing unhappiness when he wrote: “I have learned, in whatever circumstances I am, to be self-sufficient. I know indeed how to be low on provisions, I know indeed how to have an abundance. In everything and in all circumstances I have learned the secret of both how to be full and how to hunger, both how to have an abundance and how to suffer want.”—Philippians 4:11, 12.

Trusting in Jehovah

Consciousness of one’s spiritual need indicates a willingness to trust in God. This makes for happiness, as King Solomon explained: “Happy is he that is trusting in Jehovah.”—Proverbs 16:20.

Is it not a fact, though, that many people put greater trust in money and possessions than they do in God? Viewed from this standpoint, there could hardly be a more inappropriate place to display the motto “In God We Trust” than upon money, although that expression does appear on U.S. currency.

King Solomon, who lacked none of the good things that money could buy, recognized that trusting in material possessions does not lead to lasting happiness. (Ecclesiastes 5:12-15) Money in the bank can be lost through bank failure or by inflation. Real estate can be destroyed by severe storms. Insurance policies, while partially replacing material losses, can never make up for emotional losses. Stocks and bonds can become worthless overnight in a sudden market crash. Even a well-paying job can—for any number of reasons—be here today and gone tomorrow.

For these reasons he that is trusting in Jehovah sees the wisdom of listening to Jesus’ warning: “Stop storing up for yourselves treasures upon the earth, where moth and rust consume, and where thieves break in and steal. Rather, store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust consumes, and where thieves do not break in and steal.”—Matthew 6:19, 20.

What greater sense of security and feeling of happiness could there be than to know that one has placed one’s trust in Almighty God, who always provides?—Psalm 94:14; Hebrews 13:5, 6.

Accepting Divine Reproof

Counsel, even reproof, is welcome when given in a spirit of love by a true friend. A professed friend of God’s servant Job once self-righteously told him: “Happy is the man whom God reproves.” Although the statement is true, what Eliphaz implied by these words—that Job was guilty of serious wrongdoing—was not true. What a ‘troublesome comforter’! When, though, Jehovah later reproved Job in a loving way, Job humbly accepted the reproof and put himself in the way of greater happiness.—Job 5:17; 16:2; 42:6, 10-17.

Today, God does not speak to his servants directly as he did to Job. Instead, he reproves them by means of his Word and his spirit-directed organization. Christians who pursue materialistic interests, however, often have neither the time, the strength, nor the inclination to study the Bible regularly and attend all the meetings Jehovah’s organization provides.

The man whom God reproves, in accordance with Proverbs 3:11-18, recognizes the wisdom of accepting such reproof: “Happy is the man that has found wisdom, and the man that gets discernment, for having it as gain is better than having silver as gain and having it as produce than gold itself. It is more precious than corals, and all other delights of yours cannot be made equal to it. Length of days is in its right hand; in its left hand there are riches and glory. Its ways are ways of pleasantness, and all its roadways are peace. It is a tree of life to those taking hold of it, and those keeping fast hold of it are to be called happy.”

Being Pure and Peace-Loving

Jesus described happy people as being “pure in heart” and “peaceable.” (Matthew 5:8, 9) But in a world that encourages a materialistic life-style, how easy for selfish, possibly even impure, desires to take root in our hearts! If not guided by divine wisdom, how easy for us even to be misled into seeking financial well-being by questionable means that would destroy peaceful relationships with others! Not without reason, the Bible warns: “The love of money is a root of all sorts of injurious things, and by reaching out for this love some have been led astray from the faith and have stabbed themselves all over with many pains.”—1 Timothy 6:10.

The love of money promotes an egotistical view that fosters dissatisfaction, ungratefulness, and greed. To prevent such a wrong spirit from developing, some Christians before making major financial decisions ask themselves such questions as: Do I really need it? Do I need this expensive purchase or this well-paying, time-consuming job more than the millions of other people who must live without it? Could I perhaps better spend my money or my time in expanding my share in true worship, in supporting the worldwide preaching work, or in helping people less fortunate than I am?

Showing Endurance

One of the trials that Job was forced to endure was economic deprivation. (Job 1:14-17) As his example shows, endurance is called for in every aspect of life. Some Christians must endure persecution; others, temptation; still others, less-than-ideal economic conditions. But endurance of every kind will be rewarded by Jehovah, as the Christian disciple James wrote in reference to Job: “We pronounce happy those who have endured.”—James 5:11.

Neglecting spiritual interests in order to better our economic situation may bring temporary economic relief, but will it help to keep bright our vision of permanent economic relief under God’s Kingdom? Is it a risk worth taking?—2 Corinthians 4:18.

Finding Happiness Now and Forever

Some people obviously dispute Jehovah’s view of what it takes to make humans happy. Overlooking the more important long-term benefits, they see no immediate personal advantage in doing what God counsels. They fail to realize that trusting in material things is vanity and leads to frustration. The Bible writer correctly asks: “When good things become many, those eating them certainly become many. And what advantage is there to the grand owner of them, except looking at them with his eyes?” (Ecclesiastes 5:11; see also Ecclesiastes 2:4-11; 7:12.) How quickly interest fades and things we thought we just had to have end up on a shelf doing little more than taking up space and collecting dust!

A true Christian will never let himself be pressured into ‘keeping up with the Joneses’ in a material way. He knows that true worth is measured, not in what one has, but in what one is. There is no doubt in his mind about what it takes to make a person happy—truly happy: enjoying a fine relationship with Jehovah and keeping busy in His service.

The latter from What Does it Take to Make you Happy?

Some things that have helped me to be happier person overall, well, I'll admit, David has helped a lot, but I don't think it's just being in a relationship in general that's helped, but David has specifically helped me deal with past negative tendencies I've often had, and taught be better coping skills in general.
Things that have helped have been:
1. Accepting my flaws and owning up to them. I've found that when I've learned to be okay with the fact that I'm a flawed person and that I have certain negative tendencies, and that I can work on them, but it doesn't necessarily mean I'll get them right, and thus having realistic expectations of myself have done a lot to help me be, at the very least, more content.
2. Considering other people, and doing as much as I can to lend support to others. I find it has helped me a great deal to focus on other people as much as possible; when I show as much kindness and consideration to others as possible, even if other people are harsh to me, it makes my dealings with others so much easier, and contributes to peace. I've learned to accept that no matter whom I live with, they're likely going to get on my nerves and act in a rude or inconsiderate manner towards me from time to time. I've learned it's a good practice to anticipate things others might do that might get on my nerves, so that I can prepare to respond with kindness. I know I'm not always going to do a good job, but when I do, I can refer to point 1.

3. Praying specifically for joy. It is an aspect of the fruitage of the spirit so why not ask for it?
4. Watching the news as little as possible. I've been cutting down on news watching; it's my goal to only get my news from jw.org, or perhaps look at local weather reports, because I've learned that there's little to nothing on the news that's of any use to us at all. It's all so divisive and is specifically designed to trigger you emotionally. I get so angry every single time I watch the news, so why even do it? There are threads here for secular news, so if I really want to catch up, I can look on there.

5. Exercise, and snack less. I'm going through a regimen, wherein the time of the month when I tend to gain more weight, I don't eat snack food at all, and I watch my calories carefully, especially with carbs. I'm no longer on Keto, but I still try to keep a relatively low carb diet, particularly when it comes to starch and sugar. I find starches and sugar can bring your mood down a surprising amount. Also exercise brings out that dopamine, so it's so good for keeping happy. Also I feel better about myself for being disciplined and sticking to a regimen.