JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community
We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 1233 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

Hi brother's and sisters, if any of you want any free Zoom logos for the meeting, just reply to this post with a link to a spiritually appropriate image and your full name, and I'll make you a nice Zoom logo. Can also make general Zoom logos for a congregation (like we are the Nigel South African Congregation). The Zoom logos work on MixLr too (but just smaller).

Let me know!

spacer.png  spacer.png

spacer.png spacer.png

Edited by bradsmithsite

No disrespect my brother, but could you please explain to me why?

Not all people are tech savy, so at meetings when someone wants to answer over Zoom, I've heard, go ahead "Samsung J4" to answer.

I believe there is a copyright after JW Broadcasting and other videos. This This is to stop misuse of using the videos by apostates.

Edited by bradsmithsite

3 minutes ago, bradsmithsite said:

No disrespect my brother, but could you please explain to me why?

Congregations can use an account paid for by the Branch and that account disables the profile pictures.

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

Our congregation does not block Zoom profile pictures nor have they been instructed to. People are using pictures of their cats, aeroplanes, etc., their children, etc.

Was just trying to be friendly. Thanks for clarifying.

Edited by bradsmithsite

2 hours ago, bradsmithsite said:

Our congregation does not block Zoom profile pictures nor have they been instructed to. People are using pictures of their cats, aeroplanes, etc., their children, etc.

Was just trying to be friendly. Thanks for clarifying.

You have to wonder why the Zoom provided by our organization does not include the feature you are holding forth on. Could it be that there are wiser heads at work here?

Maybe they don't want us to be friendly? That borders on ridiculous.

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

Thanks for offering Brad. Some congregations are able to have pics shown (like mine for example), but it seems some don’t I guess. 

No need to bash Brad for offering. You can still use a personal picture for personal use or when you visit other zoom meetings that can allow images to show.

The brothers here in my congregation ALLOW the use of Zoom profile pictures when you connect to the meeting. They don't block them.

They haven't been notified by the organization NOT to use Zoom profile pictures.

Edited by bradsmithsite

9 hours ago, bradsmithsite said:

The brothers here in my congregation ALLOW the use of Zoom profile pictures when you connect to the meeting. They don't block them.

They haven't been notified by the organization NOT to use Zoom profile pictures.

You are correct....there is no specific instruction to block this feature.....

it’s left up to the BOE and whoever hosts the meeting.....

but as you noted some people abuse the privilege and could have inappropriate pictures.....

a simple picture of yourself and/or family should not be offensive

nor something spiritual...

but cartoons....comics ...even snaps of pets might be viewed by some as inappropriate for a spiritual event- meeting /service

after all we would never dress in  clothes Like cartoons / pajamas or bring our pets to the meetings......

and all of us vary in maturity.....

if we are greeting each other before and after the meeting....I’m not bothered if your animal walks by onscreen

but it is mildly annoying when friends shove the animals into the camera and go on and on about their pets....

I want to see my fiends .... not their pets....then again I don’t actually complain....

but my wife .... who is very scared of dogs ... will actually get up and walk away

some friends probably don’t realize they ‘over do it’ with their pets and could be offensive

if its a younger person ...with something like a weird meme or cartoon ....a teenager or such....I have no problem texting them and suggesting 
they consider something that might be more serious for meetings and service.......

sometimes they forgot they put up something funny when they were private chatting with their peers

when we first started ....we were practicing with the brothers with parts...... I had a background of the broadcast studio.....had been playing with it when helping the CO setup for his delivery.....

1 Elder was offended...... he even said I was being presumptuous  like I was governing body....

another Elder told him it looked fine and to stop being so critical......but I took it down .....

more important to be concerned with those with Overly sensitive conscience

so in the end just ask yourself if it’s tasteful...or will offend someone

—— you can always get input form another spiritual brother if in doubt.....

isn’t it beautiful that Jehovah attracts so many of us to him...even of differing personalities and backgrounds

Edited by DarinS

Spelling

In our congregation there are many—I had no idea of this before Zoom—who apparently came from one of those cultures where they think  if you appear on camera it means the camera has taken your soul. You would almost think they would have gotten over this by now. :)

There’s a surprising number of people who never turn the video on. It’s not a huge deal, not something to harp on. People have their reasons—you don’t have to know everything. Still, in light of those verses about ‘encouragement.’ I always leave mine on. What’s more encouraging—to see your brothers and sisters or a blank (or dubbed) screen?

Author of two ebooks and print, one on the opposition to the kingdom work in Russia, and one on the opposition in Western lands. Search: Tom Harley on Kindle and other ebook retailers.

On 12/18/2020 at 4:34 AM, bradsmithsite said:

Hi brother's and sisters, if any of you want any free Zoom logos for the meeting, just reply to this post with a link to a spiritually appropriate image and your full name, and I'll make you a nice Zoom logo. Can also make general Zoom logos for a congregation (like we are the Nigel South African Congregation). The Zoom logos work on MixLr too (but just smaller).

That's a wonderful idea that can be used for many things. Thank you for offering. 

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

On 12/18/2020 at 2:34 PM, bradsmithsite said:

Let me know!

spacer.png  spacer.png

spacer.png spacer.png

Great offer to help @bradsmithsite, however use of the Organisation’s artwork is most likely a copyright violation:

https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/2018364?q=copyright&p=par

Might be best to use backgrounds licensed for free, non-commercial re-use.

3 hours ago, zauser said:

Great offer to help @bradsmithsite, however use of the Organisation’s artwork is most likely a copyright violation:

https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/2018364?q=copyright&p=par

Might be best to use backgrounds licensed for free, non-commercial re-use.

If you have received a book, magazine or whatever you have the right to have that document or picture in any form you desire. It is not a copyright violation. Distributing it could be, claiming it as yours could be, but just using an image from our publications for personal use is not. It will fall under the fair use clause.

The image at lower right is a commercially available image, likely, but I am not sure, it is the intellectual property of NASA or maybe Getty Images. Our publications give credit to the owners of such images. In some cases they pay for the use.

http://www.dmlp.org/legal-guide/fair-use

Copyright fair Use clause

"The policy behind copyright law is not simply to protect the rights of those who produce content, but to "promote the progress of science and useful arts." U.S. Const. Art. I, § 8, cl. 8. Because allowing authors to enforce their copyrights in all cases would actually hamper this end, first the courts and then Congress have adopted the fair use doctrine in order to permit uses of copyrighted materials considered beneficial to society, many of which are also entitled to First Amendment protection. Fair use will not permit you to merely copy another’s work and profit from it, but when your use contributes to society by continuing the public discourse or creating a new work in the process, fair use may protect you.

Section 107 of the Copyright Act defines fair use as follows:

[T]he fair use of a copyrighted work, including such use by reproduction in copies or phonorecords or by any other means specified by that section, for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching (including multiple copies for classroom use), scholarship, or research, is not an infringement of copyright. In determining whether the use made of a work in any particular case is a fair use the factors to be considered shall include --

1. the purpose and character of the use, including whether such use is of a commercial nature or is for nonprofit educational purposes;
  2. the nature of the copyrighted work;
  3. the amount and substantiality of the portion used in relation to the copyrighted work as a whole;
  4. and the effect of the use upon the potential market for or value of the copyrighted work."

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

11 minutes ago, Old said:

If you have received a book, magazine or whatever you have the right to have that document or picture in any form you desire. It is not a copyright violation. Distributing it could be, claiming it as yours could be, but just using an image from our publications for personal use is not. It will fall under the fair use clause.

The image at lower right is a commercially available image, likely, but I am not sure, it is the intellectual property of NASA or maybe Getty Images. Our publications give credit to the owners of such images. In some cases they pay for the use.

"The policy behind copyright law is not simply to protect the rights of those who produce content, but to "promote the progress of science and useful arts." U.S. Const. Art. I, § 8, cl. 8. Because allowing authors to enforce their copyrights in all cases would actually hamper this end, first the courts and then Congress have adopted the fair use doctrine in order to permit uses of copyrighted materials considered beneficial to society, many of which are also entitled to First Amendment protection. Fair use will not permit you to merely copy another’s work and profit from it, but when your use contributes to society by continuing the public discourse or creating a new work in the process, fair use may protect you.

[T]he fair use of a copyrighted work, including such use by reproduction in copies or phonorecords or by any other means specified by that section, for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching (including multiple copies for classroom use), scholarship, or research, is not an infringement of copyright. In determining whether the use made of a work in any particular case is a fair use the factors to be considered shall include --

1. the purpose and character of the use, including whether such use is of a commercial nature or is for nonprofit educational purposes;
  3. the amount and substantiality of the portion used in relation to the copyrighted work as a whole;
  4. and the effect of the use upon the potential market for or value of the copyrighted work."

Ah thanks for the clarification @Old!

14 hours ago, Tortuga said:

That's a wonderful idea that can be used for many things. Thank you for offering. 

Just PM me with a link to your picture you want. You can google "site:jw.org" and select Images, then choose images that ONLY come from jw.org. There are many to choose from, just send me the picture you like and your name and I'll make you a logo. :)

10 hours ago, Old said:

I have a YouTube channel and know about copyrights. Using a picture owned by NASA for hundreds of thousands of people, like the Is There a Creator Who Cares About You? book- will 100% BE AN ISSUE, but a personal logo for a meeting, they won't worry. Making YouTube videos you get a feel for who and what they go after. The worst case scenario is they contact you, and ask them to change the picture, but they not losing money so won't care.

6 hours ago, bradsmithsite said:

There are many to choose from, just send me the picture you like and your name and I'll make you a logo

You mean images like this one would be OK

Install Watchtower Library | JW.ORG Help

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

42 minutes ago, Qapla said:

You mean images like this one would be OK

Install Watchtower Library | JW.ORG Help

That looks like the button Jehovah pushed after Noah loaded the animals into the Ark..😁🤣

Hi,

I don’t really want to be a kill joy or anything but in the instructions that were sent to the elders on how to host zoom meetings there was a very long list of instructions for “settings” at the end that need to be enacted by the main account holder assuming you are not using an organisational account. There is a setting option “Hide participant profile pictures in a meeting?” And the instruction is to have this turned on (yes) so that those attending the meeting are not able to set their own pictures.

You can perhaps understand why we have this direction, for example just in case someone who was perhaps not a brother were to get in to our meeting and have some unsavoury picture up that could cause distress to those in attendance.

I’m not surprised some bodies of elders have missed this, it takes a fair amount of tech savvy to understand and implement the directions, but it ensures many of Zoom’s less safe features are off by default during a congregation meeting. Such as the option to record the meeting, screen share by anyone etc etc etc.

I’m not telling you not to share these pictures, that’s your decision, and I must say you’ve done a great job with them!

WCL.

M

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk