JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

The Night Sky - Jehovahs Celestial display

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 1233 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

Here in the UK we constantly miss celestial displays due to the cloud cover , we are always happy on memorial night to get a wonderful view of the full moon !

This week we have been due a meteor display and the " Great Conjunction" between Monday 21 and Friday 25 December - this is when Saturn and Jupiter are at their closest and can look like one large bright star - this happens every 20 years ! the last time Saturn and Jupiter were this close was 1623 ( before my time) it was predicted from after sunset 6.37 GMT - but as is the UK we were covered in cloud , it can still happen up until 25th - but guess what we are still covered in cloud !

People gathered at Stonehenge as the Winter Solstice is steeped in pagan rituals and the Great Conjunction is often called the 'Christmas star' due to the time it appears.

My friend went to see the Northern Lights a couple of years ago and said it was the most amazing display they had ever seen. Jehovahs glory clearly seen.

Just wondered if any of you around the world have seen or have celestial displays that have amazed them ! possibly in clearer sky the poor old South East of England ?      

Haven't experienced any yet... But I'll love to watch the Aurora Borealis... I watch it on YouTube... Its breathtaking!!! Our Father is Awesome... He designed even atmospheric charged particles from the sun to look so beautiful for our enjoyment...  I Love him sooo much!!

44 minutes ago, Nelly Michael said:

Haven't experienced any yet... But I'll love to watch the Aurora Borealis... I watch it on YouTube... Its breathtaking!!! Our Father is Awesome... He designed even atmospheric charged particles from the sun to look so beautiful for our enjoyment...  I Love him sooo much!!

Oh yes that's one of mine as well !

It shows you do ! The more we look into these things we just love him more don't we.

8 minutes ago, Maria Keerie said:

Oh how lovely , was it just being in the right place at the right time ? 

Yes, the first time I saw one me and my grandmother walked outside to look at the stars and one flew by. She wasn’t in the truth so she said “make a wish baby” lol. The second time I was driving home from work and one flew by very low in the sky. It was very bright and I remember it making a screaming sound.

the last time I saw one I walked outside to put trash in the garbage container and one flew by. I thought to myself I almost missed it!

Oh, and I’ve also seen an eclipse as well as the Jupiter and Saturn conjunction that happened the other day.

Edited by Brother Jack

The Hebrew word cushi or kushi is an affectionate term generally used in the Bible to refer to a dark-skinned person of African descent.

1 minute ago, Mykyl said:

To see shooting stars you just need to make sure its a clear sky and look up. Within an hour you will see at least one. Cities can be more difficult.

If possible get warm and stay dry and lie down looking straight up. 

Oh ok , is this any time of year if its a clear night ? even in the grey old UK

9 minutes ago, Brother Jack said:

Yes, the first time I saw one me and my grandmother walked outside to look at the stars and one flew by. She wasn’t in the truth so she said “make a wish baby” lol. The second time I was driving home from work and one flew by very low in the sky. It was very bright and I remember it making a screaming sound.

the last time I saw one I walked outside to put trash in the garbage container and one flew by. I thought to myself I almost missed it!

Oh, and I’ve also seen an eclipse.

As Mike says. They are quite common, but not easily seen in urban areas due to city lights washing the black out of the sky. I have seen so many having been on a boat at night that I no longer give them more than a passing glance. Occasionally one will get into the lower atmosphere and flare quite brightly then explode. I have been close enough on two occasions when I could hear the boom of their demise. 

Ever see a satellite pass overhead?

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

24 minutes ago, Maria Keerie said:

Oh ok , is this any time of year if its a clear night ? even in the grey old UK

When I lived in Kent (Rochester and outside Maidstone in Bearsted) I would see them regularly. Not as bright or as easy as up here in Scotland but easy enough to see. 

Satelites are fairly easy to recognise by the smooth movement across the sky. Identifying which one can be done with apps on your phone now. 

Only once did I hear a falling star. 

Every time some spectacular thing happens in the sky, and they say, “not for 750 years will this happen again. I think,

I will catch it then”.

The aurora? My dream is just to see it first hand. And, I want to see the ones with purple in them! 

I want to age without sharp corners, and have an obedient heart!

I’ve seen the Southern Aurora. Not as spectacular as the Northern one, because Perth is too far north really to have seen it at all. But for some reason we saw it, and it was gorgeous!

Saw a raft of shooting stars in the countryside outside the city limits. Friends from our cong stayed overnight at a monolith (large rock formation) and watched the Milky Way and the the meteor showers (I think the Geminids).  Amazing!!!

1 hour ago, Miss Bea said:

Only once did I hear a falling star. 

Every time some spectacular thing happens in the sky, and they say, “not for 750 years will this happen again. I think,

I will catch it then”.

The aurora? My dream is just to see it first hand. And, I want to see the ones with purple in them! 

What a lovely way to think of it , we will see them , we have forever !

The purple is the one I want to see also.

Last year in the part of the United States I live in they said the moon was going to be full and pink.  Well it wasn't pink which was disappointing I was watching for it, but it was full and beautiful.  A close friend in a different part of the state and I talked about it on the phone and I said it wasn't pink but it was pretty and she said.  But it wasn't pink.  The way she said it was cute she was so disappointed though.  I don't know if anybody saw a pink moon or not.

11 minutes ago, JW2017 said:

Last year in the part of the United States I live in they said the moon was going to be full and pink.  Well it wasn't pink which was disappointing I was watching for it, but it was full and beautiful.  A close friend in a different part of the state and I talked about it on the phone and I said it wasn't pink but it was pretty and she said.  But it wasn't pink.  The way she said it was cute she was so disappointed though.  I don't know if anybody saw a pink moon or not.

We had a very Pink Moon last year not as you say fully pink but pretty - I did take a picture but it didn't really show it as id hoped .

A list for the new year:

https://7news.com.au/technology/space/top-10-astronomy-events-of-2021-c-1756284

1. Quadrantids Meteor Shower

January 3 to 4

2. Wolf Moon

January 28

3. Lyrids meteor shower

April 22 to 23

4. Pink Moon, Supermoon

April 27

5. Eta Aquarid meteors

May 6 to 7

6. Total lunar eclipse

May 26

7. Perseids meteor shower

August 12, 13

8. October meteor showers 

October 8 to 9 and October 20 to 21

9. The Geminids meteor shower

December 13, 14

10. Total Solar Eclipse

December 4

1 minute ago, hatcheckgirl said:

Oh thank you for this , will definitely look out for these .

We did have last night the most amazing full moon , its 7.33 am here now and its still clear and bright .