JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

My Screen Sharing Keeps Dropping

I have a problem and I'm not having any success finding the solution on Google.  Perhaps someone here can help.

I'm using a Dell Inspiron 15 Laptop.  I screen share wirelessly to my Samsung Smart TV.  Some days the sharing works great and I can last an entire meeting or longer with no problems.  Other days the screen sharing will drop and I have to reconnect.  Occasionally it will drop multiple times during the meeting.

Restarting the computer before screen sharing does not help.  

The problem is very random and I cannot find any pattern or reason why it will work fine some days and other days drop connection.  

Any ideas?

I used to screen share with a Samsung TV.

(What 'Gen'/series is your TV?)

I know there was some kind of driver issue with Samsung, but that came about over a year ago.

It appeared that changes in both the TV and my hp laptop caused an unstable connection. The TV fell off the Samsung support list, and the Laptop was dated.

I am assuming you have updated everything you can.

My solution came with the purchase of a Firestick. It is constantly updated.

It was a good investment.

Prob not the answer you were hoping for.

My #2 suggestion is buy a new 75" (min) Latest Gen, latest everything TV. Hope this is the answer you need to take to the Minister of Finance.

Old (Downunder) Tone

Unlike some here who are promoting Materialism......  😉  i would suggest first to check a few settings and whether there are alternatives..

screen sharing, especially at high resolution uses a lot of bandwidth on your network.

so are there any settings on the laptop to reduce the quality of the video stream?

also are there devices using the network that dont need to be. the more devices using your network will reduce bandwidth or highlight any instability.

also many screensharing solutions such as miracast or samsungs own version of it are ( in my experience ) rather prone to stopping even on a good connection.

so is there another screensharing software you can try - some are better than others but you will be limited by what the tv has the capability to receive.

I use NDI to send video in my home network but I am sending laptop to a mini pc mounted on the back of my "dumb" tv so I have more options than a smart tv.

finally at the end of the day you wont get more reliable than using a hard wired connection, hdmi, DVI,  even VGA is better that an unreliable intermittant or pixilating picture.

22 hours ago, Manwithnoname said:

also are there devices using the network that dont need to be. the more devices using your network will reduce bandwidth or highlight any instability.

Would this matter, though, since the screen sharing isn't through wifi?  Apparently it's not Bluetooth, either.  I don't know what wireless transmission protocol it does use.  🤔

22 hours ago, Manwithnoname said:

finally at the end of the day you wont get more reliable than using a hard wired connection, hdmi, DVI,  even VGA is better that an unreliable intermittant or pixilating picture.

Yeah, I know.  I just don't want to stretch an HDMI cable across my living room

On 1/5/2021 at 2:44 AM, 👇 ꓤꓱꓷꓠꓵ🎵Tone said:

It appeared that changes in both the TV and my hp laptop caused an unstable connection. The TV fell off the Samsung support list, and the Laptop was dated.

I even tried to share with my Roku.  Same result.  It'd work fine, then drop.  Maybe the problem is the laptop.

8 minutes ago, Shawnster said:

Yeah, I know.  I just don't want to stretch an HDMI cable across my living room

While this may not be what you "want" to do, several Brothers in our Congregation have found this to be the best solution.

I use an HDMI cable to connect mine and have never had a problem ... but then, my PC is located fairly close to the TV.

One of our Elders told me he has to "stretch a LAN cable across his LR" for his wife to be able to do the A/V for the Congregation. She kept having issues using the WiFi.  The same can happen with trying to wirelessly send your display to the TV.

It is not really any more inconvenient to run a temporary cable to your computer (laptop or PC) to your TV than it is for some who have to stack up books or boxes to prop their phone or tablet on to get their camera to the proper height.

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

My new laptop had some initial issues with my Zoom dropping out. I did download an Intel driver updater app. This did stabilise my WiFi.
I don't know if it is related, but maybe the glitch in the WiFi may have spilled over to the screen-share as well. Especially if it uses the same hardware. 
(This is only good for Intel hardware) 
Old (Downunder) Tone

IntelDSA.png

Edited by ➕👇 ꓤꓱꓷꓠꓵ🎵Tone

7 hours ago, Shawnster said:

Would this matter, though, since the screen sharing isn't through wifi?  Apparently it's not Bluetooth, either.  I don't know what wireless transmission protocol it does use.  🤔

AHH ok, sounds like it's using a direct connection. so it's still using WiFi but the TV sets up its own WiFi hotspot that the laptop connects to, separate to your main WiFi.

I think it used to be called DLNR or something like that.

I think some Miracast systems and Google/Roku guest connections can do this too.

So if it's that sort of system the range is usually shorter or weaker than a normal WiFi network, and possibly more prone to interference.

The original projector spec for kingdom halls in the UK used this and I never once got it to work properly. I ended up making up an HDMI cable for it.

If your TV has the option to use your home WiFi network instead of it's own hotspot that might help.