JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Replacing my Wii, help

I don't usually come to this thread because I'm not an overly techie person so I don't know if this has been discussed before, please let me know if it has. 

I just bought new remotes for my Wii and they don't have the necessary components for my Wii to read them.  I had to return them to Amazon and get a refund. I just discovered that Wii is quite outdated, trying to get new remotes is not happening.

I used the Wii for exersise, Wii Sports,  So my question is what kind of thing can I get that I can use for exercise programs or sports programs of some sort, I like table tennis and basketball and bowling. I've heard of XBOX. But is there more out there? 

Edited by bagwell1987

Safeguard Your Heart for " Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks" Matthew 12:34

2 hours ago, bagwell1987 said:

I've heard of XBOX.

Yes, there is a Chocolate Box, Donut Box, but I advise stay away from those. :whistling:

Otherwise all gaming platforms have some sort of "sports/fitness" games to play.

Check Nintendo page for Switch games, and what sort they have..., same goes for PlayStation (5 is the latest one) and Xbox. 

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)

3 hours ago, bagwell1987 said:

I don't usually come to this thread because I'm not an overly techie person so I don't know if this has been discussed before, please let me know if it has. 

I just bought new remotes for my Wii and they don't have the necessary components for my Wii to read them.  I had to return them to Amazon and get a refund. I just discovered that Wii is quite outdated, trying to get new remotes is not happening.

I used the Wii for exersise, Wii Sports,  So my question is what kind of thing can I get that I can use for exercise programs or sports programs of some sort, I like table tennis and basketball and bowling. I've heard of XBOX. But is there more out there? 

Buying a new console altogether can be quite expensive. If you're happy with your Wii and only want the sports I'd not waste money on buying a new console for the same thing when all you need is new remotes. You're sure you can't find Wii remotes compatible for your version? Somewhere should be selling them, I can even buy controllers for my Sega Megadrive still today (and that's from the early 90s!).

https://www.nintendo.co.uk/Wii/Accessories/Accessories-Wii-Nintendo-UK-626430.html

Edited by EccentricM

Nike had a free app. There is also a 'standing' 7 min workout on YouTube by some fitness guru who invented the 7 min workout for business execs. No equipment needed, just what is in a motel room (wall, chair etc...)
You don't need to buy anything if you do not want to...

Old (Downunder) Tone

7 hours ago, EccentricM said:

Buying a new console altogether can be quite expensive. If you're happy with your Wii and only want the sports I'd not waste money on buying a new console for the same thing when all you need is new remotes. You're sure you can't find Wii remotes compatible for your version? Somewhere should be selling them, I can even buy controllers for my Sega Megadrive still today (and that's from the early 90s!).

https://www.nintendo.co.uk/Wii/Accessories/Accessories-Wii-Nintendo-UK-626430.html

I looked around and found quite a few reconditioned remotes but the reviews were awful. Looked for new ones but couldn't find any.

Safeguard Your Heart for " Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks" Matthew 12:34

14 hours ago, bagwell1987 said:

I just bought new remotes for my Wii and they don't have the necessary components for my Wii to read them.

This doesn't make sense to me. Can you link what you bought? The Wii primarily used motion sensing in their early controllers as well as gyros in their later motion plus controllers. Sometimes you can find used Wii consoles locally with controllers for around $50. You can't get OEM parts at reasonable prices anymore, but there are some okay replacements for $20. https://www.amazon.com/Mribo-Wii-Controller-Replacement-Silicone/dp/B07F5FS4ST/

There's some Kinect (motion capture webcam) stuff on older Xbox consoles, but for exercise, it's not what you're wanting. Most consoles are more focused on sit down controller games. Kinect is also out of date and not worth the cost.

The best games for exercise nowadays are in virtual reality headsets. The best value in hardware is the Oculus Quest 2 64GB at $300. It has fully immersive table tennis, basketball and bowling games for around $15-20 each. There are also free games like Rec Room that include some of them in similar form to the Wii. The Quest platform requires a Facebook account to log in and purchase things. https://www.amazon.com/Oculus-Quest-Advanced-All-One-2/dp/B08F7PTF53

The other option is a Nintendo Switch console (also $300) which has some motion capabilities in the Joycon controllers similar to the older Nintendo Wii. There are less similar games than you're probably used to on the Wii, but there are some. Virtual reality has come so far and is so much better for exercise now though.
https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/clubhouse-games-51-worldwide-classics-switch/
https://gamerant.com/nintendo-switch-games-wii-sports-recommendations/

Edited by Myew