JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

N Ireland: Catholics and Protestants are at it again

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 1132 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

Didn’t see this topic but if someone has already posted it, let me know....

It’s the mix of politics and religion causing issues again. The youths are angry and rioting. 
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.com/news/amp/uk-northern-ireland-56664378

It will be interesting to see how this develops religion wise. 

Jer 29:11-“For I well know the thoughts I am thinking toward you, declares Jehovah, thoughts of peace, and not calamity, to give you a future and a hope.”

Psalm 56:3-“When I am afraid, I put my trust in you.”
Romans 8:38-”For I am convinced...”

Don’t know of the reliability of this channel as I have never watched it before, but started watching this video yesterday:

It seemed to claim that the rioting partially happened because criminals’ actions were hindered.

Edited by LoneWanderer

To this David said: “What have I done now? I was only asking a question!”

– 1 Samuel 17:29

Seems to be a jumbled mess. The videos I watched talked about brexit, political controversy and the religious factor. I am unclear but is there always a barricade between the catholic and Protestant sides of town there?  Or is the barricade just because of the riots?

Jer 29:11-“For I well know the thoughts I am thinking toward you, declares Jehovah, thoughts of peace, and not calamity, to give you a future and a hope.”

Psalm 56:3-“When I am afraid, I put my trust in you.”
Romans 8:38-”For I am convinced...”

30 minutes ago, BLEmom said:

I am unclear but is there always a barricade between the catholic and Protestant sides of town there?  Or is the barricade just because of the riots?

The barricade from what I gather, is an old one, which seperates the protestant and catholic Irish communities. In turn, it may also be the "Berlin wall" of Ireland you might say, splitting Northern Ireland (which is part of Great Britian/the United Kingdom, and Britian of course, is a protestant nation) and Republic of Ireland, who are independant of Britian, and are devoutly Catholic.

In the past, the gates were put there, because of both politics and religion, as they were heavily intertwined in the older days. To be British (aka Northern Irish) was to be protestant, to be Irish was to be Catholic.

Now, with Brexit, there appears to be friction over boarder control and so on, some Irish remaining loyal to the British rule, and the others not standing for it. It just so happens, the people not standing for it, are the ones who are "pro Irish independence", and historically... would have been the Catholics and vice versa. These days, all these youths I imagine are mostly athiest, and it's all about politics, but they may have a "social identity" with Catholicism and Protestantism, even if it doesn't actually "mean" anything in terms of what they believe, it's just a form of tribalism.

Edited by EccentricM