JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

These are some really good ideas, in this thread. like @1MKnight I'm not entirely sure I want the whole bible in it. Adding things by hand helps to think about the items I copy. But we'll see if I get tired of that. I'm also looking in some language tools that I use, Vine's dictionary, trent's synonyms, I use them regularly and having it all work together might be useful. I use bibles in several languages (and translations) all the time, and adding them all sounds like a lot of work...

In previous experiments, with other tools, I ended up playing with the tools instead of studying. So I try to find a balance between the two. I'm using my Obsidian during the meeting and so far it helped me answering 🙂 and making notes during the last two public talks.

What plugins do you use @student?

Two things I would like to add is maps, I like having an idea *where* things take place, timelines, *when* things happen in relation to other things, and overviews of books, like in the study edition before each book.

I use Obsidian as well, primarily as a repository for transcribed talks, illustrations, images, and theocratic research broad in nature that doesn’t apply to a specific scripture.  When a point gleaned from a talk applies to a specific scripture, I copy that specific point to my Gems in Personal Study in JW Library and then put a ✔️ by it in Obsidian indicating that it has been done. In Obsidian, I use the backlink feature when appropriate.  For example, it works well to have one note with the name of a speaker and picture, and then link individual notes containing transcribed talks given by that particular speaker. 

I haven’t put NWT in Obsidian as I think it would make the vault too big and don’t feel it’s necessary because of how I use JW Library. 

I am heavily invested with many notes in JW Library but there is no way that I can see to export all of that data. So I am using Obsidian as a companion app for JW Library. One must be careful to back up everything regularly. I use a Mac and iPad using ICloud to sync and I backup Obsidian to Dropbox and a portable drive. 

There is a fairly step learning curve with Obsidian and I’ve only scratched the surface.