JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Do you know any apps that available for PC and Android phone that we can sync our notes?

For now, I used One Note from Microsoft office and I really loved to use it. I also know the "Notebook — Take Notes, Sync" app on Android phone and on Windows, it also has a sync features.

So, anyone here that can suggest more apps like those two apps?

😃😃😃

10 minutes ago, WilliamChew said:

google keep is also a notepad like application. It too uses google drive for syncing.

I like the Keep Notes app too, it's perfect for short notes and reminders. You can collaborate specific notes with other people so my wife and I use it for shopping list and to-do lists.

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

10 minutes ago, WilliamChew said:

That's a good idea. I didn't think of that. 😁

I like the way you can use check boxes, indent items and easily move them around. You can also attach images, so my wife ensures I get the right item on the grocery list.😁

Edited by Tortuga
CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

6 minutes ago, Brandon said:

Simplenote is really excellent. 

That looks good, thanks.

Check out Obsidian (https://obsidian.md). That’s what I have been using for a while now. It might be a bit more complex than you need, but you don’t have to use all the features. 

They are working on an iOS version—I’m beta testing it at the moment and it’s coming along nicely. 

It’s free, but you can opt to pay to support development. As far as syncing notes, it’s as simple as setting an iCloud folder as your main vault. Then, anyone with access to that folder can edit the notes. 

On 5/23/2021 at 2:36 PM, molnarj said:

I still work with OneNote. I'm using Office 365 so enough space in the cloud. I have OneNote on my mobilephone as well, so everything is in sync: PC, laptop, tablet and mobilephone.

image.thumb.png.15a9d9e1b7e82256880cf792e57d45b7.png

How to create a tabs on OneNote?

If you use the OneNote for Windows 10 version the tabs are not on the top row but they are on the left and the pages in a column next to it. Below left you can add a Tab or section. You cab also search on Youtube for video's. There's lots of them. In the other version simply click on the + on the top row where the tabs are.

image.thumb.png.3ffb98da6fb94174ff134104a6aa519b.png

Edited by molnarj

Added a comment.

6 hours ago, molnarj said:

If you use the OneNote for Windows 10 version the tabs are not on the top row but they are on the left and the pages in a column next to it. Below left you can add a Tab or section. You cab also search on Youtube for video's. There's lots of them. In the other version simply click on the + on the top row where the tabs are.

image.thumb.png.3ffb98da6fb94174ff134104a6aa519b.png

Thank you for this .. I already used One Note on windows 10 .. it is different than the first photo you posted .. But it's a great tool then ....

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/22/2021 at 9:15 PM, niall said:

Check out Obsidian (https://obsidian.md). That’s what I have been using for a while now. It might be a bit more complex than you need, but you don’t have to use all the features. 

They are working on an iOS version—I’m beta testing it at the moment and it’s coming along nicely. 

It’s free, but you can opt to pay to support development. As far as syncing notes, it’s as simple as setting an iCloud folder as your main vault. Then, anyone with access to that folder can edit the notes. 

I've recently gone the Obsidian path as well.

I've been using OneNote for about 7 years now, so I have a TON of notes. The problem is that notes often get lost in a typical hierarchical structure. Finding just the right place to put your note is difficult.   And I very often find myself writing the same thing repeatedly. 

The whole Zettelkasten, Atomic Notes/Smart Notes idea really works for me. It's super useful for talk writing, bible study and other research. So glad I found Obsidian. Linking notes together in such an easy and future proof manner is really a game changer. 

• 1 year later...
On 6/13/2021 at 9:16 PM, 1MKnight said:

The whole Zettelkasten, Atomic Notes/Smart Notes idea really works for me. It's super useful for talk writing, bible study and other research. So glad I found Obsidian. Linking notes together in such an easy and future proof manner is really a game changer. 

I use Obsidian for about 2 years. Before I used different note apps. With MS Office I used Onenote. But how to bring my notes to Android? Then they moved Onenote from Office to Windows. With this move it was impossible to export notes. It's a big issue for me to overtake notes into Obsidian now. 

Obsidian vaults can be synced - I use the early bird offer 4$/month for encrypted sync between tablet, mobile, and notebook. 

I use it for study, talks and other presentations, my work (here I use github.com to sync into the company and back). With note links, and a search I find everything quickly again. And a dear brother here in the forum converted the NWT into Obsidian markdown style to be ready for using it with the Bible Linker plugin! A perfect second brain! (Second brain? Enjoy Tiago Forte: Building a Second Brain 😊 ) For me is Obsidian the perfect tool now. And as a "personal knowledge mangement" (PKM) tool it helps not just taking notes, but making notes - what is a quite different approach.

• 2 months later...
I still work with OneNote. I'm using Office 365 so enough space in the cloud. I have OneNote on my mobilephone as well, so everything is in sync: PC, laptop, tablet and mobilephone.

image.thumb.png.15a9d9e1b7e82256880cf792e57d45b7.png

I LOVE how organized your Notebook is! Just wish it was in English so I can understand the various sections lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 1/3/2023 at 6:20 PM, student said:

And a dear brother here in the forum converted the NWT into Obsidian markdown style to be ready for using it with the Bible Linker plugin! A perfect second brain! (Second brain? Enjoy Tiago Forte: Building a Second Brain 😊 ) For me is Obsidian the perfect tool now. And as a "personal knowledge mangement" (PKM) tool it helps not just taking notes, but making notes - what is a quite different approach.

Wow, so many things here 😃

Can you please share more information on the bolded sentences above? How can I get them?

Thanks

On 3/9/2023 at 1:11 AM, jayrtom said:

Wow, so many things here 😃

Can you please share more information on the bolded sentences above? How can I get them?

Building a Second Brain is a book/workflow popularized by Tiago Forte. Basically it's about building a useful knowledge base for your own personal/professional life. The idea is that you do your thinking with your brain (your first brain), and you do your knowledge management/knowledge storage with your "second brain" (your note-taking system).

Here's how he puts it "a methodology for saving and systematically reminding us of the ideas, inspirations, insights, and connections we’ve gained through our experience. It expands our memory and our intellect using the modern tools of technology and networks.

The general idea of just about any recent "personal knowledge management" movement - including, but not exclusively BASB - is pretty much perfect for Bible study. BASB and other systems are basically systematized meditation. 

As for the NWT in Markdown, I'd have to let someone else explain why they use it and how they obtained it. I personally don't think I'd find it very useful in the software I'm using. The search function in Obsidian.md would be clouded by the entire text of the Bible if I installed the whole NWT into it. And I'm not willing to sacrifice the utility of the search function just for having a Bible in my notes. What I do instead is consistently use the same citation format for scriptures. (the full scripture citation: "Matthew 6:3" rather than "Mt 6:3") This way I can simply search: "Matthew 6" and all my citations of Matthew 6 verses will show up in my search results. If I need to be more specific, I can add the verse. 

3 hours ago, 1MKnight said:

Building a Second Brain is a book/workflow popularized by Tiago Forte. Basically it's about building a useful knowledge base for your own personal/professional life. The idea is that you do your thinking with your brain (your first brain), and you do your knowledge management/knowledge storage with your "second brain" (your note-taking system).

Here's how he puts it "a methodology for saving and systematically reminding us of the ideas, inspirations, insights, and connections we’ve gained through our experience. It expands our memory and our intellect using the modern tools of technology and networks.

The general idea of just about any recent "personal knowledge management" movement - including, but not exclusively BASB - is pretty much perfect for Bible study. BASB and other systems are basically systematized meditation. 

As for the NWT in Markdown, I'd have to let someone else explain why they use it and how they obtained it. I personally don't think I'd find it very useful in the software I'm using. The search function in Obsidian.md would be clouded by the entire text of the Bible if I installed the whole NWT into it. And I'm not willing to sacrifice the utility of the search function just for having a Bible in my notes. What I do instead is consistently use the same citation format for scriptures. (the full scripture citation: "Matthew 6:3" rather than "Mt 6:3") This way I can simply search: "Matthew 6" and all my citations of Matthew 6 verses will show up in my search results. If I need to be more specific, I can add the verse. 

Thanks for your answer!

What I wanted most was a way to write a scripture on a note and a link be created automatically. For what I search on the web regarding the Bible Linker plugin is that it automatically creates this links for any web page where it appears. Then it appears that it can be used also with this obsidian software

I would need the NWT in the Bible Linker format, or something like that...

There is a windows software that has the NWT in epub format and that creates automatically a link for any text to be pasted anywhere (One note, word, etc...)

But when clicking on this link it opens the software and shows the text... But its a bit combersome and slow

In fact we can do something similar with JWLibrary. When taking notes of a talk for example, we go read a verse, and we can click on share, copy the link, and put it on word creting an hiperlink (we need to write the scpriture ourselves as the link text otherwhise it pasts the full link witch its not good)

But its also a slow method...

But its what I'm using now...

11 hours ago, jayrtom said:

For what I search on the web regarding the Bible Linker plugin is that it automatically creates this links for any web page where it appears.

This plugin will not do that for you. What it does is the following:

You are noticing something and need a bible text. For this you use a shortcut (I use Crtl-B) and type in let's say James 3:17. The plugin take the vers from the markdown file called James 3 and extracts vers 17. This will be with the link back to the markdown file of James 3 in your note.

The advantage is: You can find all your links to James 3:17 for further studying. This will not happen in JWLibrary. Here a German example where I combine it with a second plugin (Obsidian42 - Strange New Worlds). This plugin shows the number of connections next to the bible link:

image.png.d53ee5ff6f74dbe223c41f0630d7849a.png

The "2" next to the link "Jak 3:17" tells - you have two notes in your vault using this text. Clicking on the number opens the right pane showing you the twos ources: A Governing Body Update and you own text here.

Also you can open the local graph of the note (it's a public talk) to find the bible chapters used in the talk. Here could be also links to ideas for this final version (in this case the talk was finished in times before Obsidian - so most of these ideas are stores on Google Drive ...):

image.png.19320db12c574c55e0ef138841f63a6a.png

1 hour ago, student said:

Here a German example where I combine it with a second plugin (Obsidian42 - Strange New Worlds).

Thanks for pointing out this plugin. That seems very useful. 

(Gotta admit, as someone who doesn't have a MD bible in their notes, I'm a little jealous of how you've implemented it with the Bible verses. But I still think having the whole Bible in Obsidian would clog up my search results too much)

8 hours ago, 1MKnight said:

implemented it with the Bible verses

A selection of Gen 1 (in German 1Mo). It is a markdown file 1Mo 1.md:

image.png.e0699bbca273461f7469e433be4e4e4e.png

Every file is a chapter in the bible:

image.thumb.png.96ed327d863d2d281e64d6e9aa344a2e.png

The folder GNT is an experiment to work with a second bible translation (Good News Translation). But the text is still incomplete.

The settings for Bible Linker are these:

image.thumb.png.e41f803d8d61e0ffc6c1d12885318cc2.png

image.thumb.png.3672cbd2d1416a16f55ac7183fd2b9db.png