JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

What to Expect From the Biden-Putin Summit being held on June 16th, Geneva

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 1070 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

Quoting: "

Biden will very likely reiterate calls for the release of Russian opposition leader Navalny, says Edward Lucas, author of The New Cold War: Putin’s Russia and the Threat to the West,. The jailed activist was poisoned by a military-grade nerve agent last August, an attack Navalny and Western governments blamed on Moscow. The Kremlin denied it was behind the near-fatal poisoning.

In February, Navalny, head of Russia’s Anti-Corruption Foundation, was sentenced to two years and eight months in prison on charges of violating parole from an embezzlement case dating back to 2014 that he said was politically motivated.

Since then, Russia’s crackdown on opponents has only picked up pace, with the Kremlin on April 30 adding Navalny’s network of regional headquarters to a list of organizations involved in “extremism and terrorism”, together with groups such as Islamic State and Jehovah’s Witnesses. The designation means authorities can close the network’s bank accounts."

Source: Time magazine   https://time.com/6053298/putin-biden-summit/

Edited by Sofia

Eph. 3:20 “Now to the one who can, according to his power that is operating in us, do more than superabundantly beyond all the things we ask or conceive”

20 minutes ago, Sofia said:

and Jehovah’s Witnesses.

That’s interesting, isn’t it? Classifying as “extremists” the people who under no circumstance will resort to violence is such a national embarrassment that such a “bargaining chip” just might arise. I’d accept being a “bargaining chip” in that event. The little people always are with regard to the kings ruling the earth.

On the other hand, FECRIS VP Dvorkin has stated it beneficial to his cause that East-West relations are so horrible. It means Russia need not worry that outrages towards JWs trigger frosty East-West relations, since they already are that way.

Edited by TrueTomHarley

Author of two ebooks and print, one on the opposition to the kingdom work in Russia, and one on the opposition in Western lands. Search: Tom Harley on Kindle and other ebook retailers.

39 minutes ago, Sofia said:

Quoting: "

Biden will very likely reiterate calls for the release of Russian opposition leader Navalny, says Edward Lucas, author of The New Cold War: Putin’s Russia and the Threat to the West,. The jailed activist was poisoned by a military-grade nerve agent last August, an attack Navalny and Western governments blamed on Moscow. The Kremlin denied it was behind the near-fatal poisoning.

In February, Navalny, head of Russia’s Anti-Corruption Foundation, was sentenced to two years and eight months in prison on charges of violating parole from an embezzlement case dating back to 2014 that he said was politically motivated.

Since then, Russia’s crackdown on opponents has only picked up pace, with the Kremlin on April 30 adding Navalny’s network of regional headquarters to a list of organizations involved in “extremism and terrorism”, together with groups such as Islamic State and Jehovah’s Witnesses. The designation means authorities can close the network’s bank accounts."

Source: Time magazine   https://time.com/6053298/putin-biden-summit/

I had feeling that JW’s will be brought up in their meeting.

10 hours ago, *Jack* said:

I doubt Biden will apply pressure to Putin regarding us. He has nothing to gain politically since we don’t vote and many people hate us.

During the election time, some asking me who I'm voting for. I said Jesus. Daniel 2:44, 7:13,14. Luke 1:31-33, Acts 17:7. A matter of fact a couple of nurses where my sister worked were very stress about politics. When I told my sister who I voting for and told the nurses, they decided to vote for Jesus. It took the stress away from them.

Breaking News: Russia banned Aleksei Navalny’s opposition group, sending a clear message from President Vladimir Putin to President Biden ahead of talks next week.

source: https://www.nytimes.com/2021/06/09/world/europe/navalny-ban-putin-biden-summit.html?campaign_id=60&emc=edit_na_20210609&instance_id=0&nl=breaking-news&ref=cta&regi_id=67673044&segment_id=60285&user_id=6d4c6c3584f0fc31549b1985cc038d84

sorry

this may be a paid per view article 😣

Edited by Sofia

Eph. 3:20 “Now to the one who can, according to his power that is operating in us, do more than superabundantly beyond all the things we ask or conceive”

2 hours ago, Sofia said:

Breaking News: Russia banned Aleksei Navalny’s opposition group, sending a clear message from President Vladimir Putin to President Biden ahead of talks next week.

source: https://www.nytimes.com/2021/06/09/world/europe/navalny-ban-putin-biden-summit.html?campaign_id=60&emc=edit_na_20210609&instance_id=0&nl=breaking-news&ref=cta&regi_id=67673044&segment_id=60285&user_id=6d4c6c3584f0fc31549b1985cc038d84

sorry

this may be a paid per view article 😣

It’s funny how they lump true Christians who serve Jehovah and political extremists in the same category...

The Hebrew word cushi or kushi is an affectionate term generally used in the Bible to refer to a dark-skinned person of African descent.

1 hour ago, *Jack* said:

It’s funny how they lump true Christians who serve Jehovah and political extremists in the same category...

Now isn’t it???

both extremists 😡😡

6 hours ago, Old said:

Not much.

For Putin yes

I kind of wonder what is not considered extremism in Russia. Terrorists?

🎵“I have listened to Jesus in these troublesome days,

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

It's customary after a high-level meeting to do a joint press conference.  Sometimes they will say that they had "a frank discussion" , meaning they said what needed saying.

Not this time.  Biden has already (pre-summit) said he will not do a press conference with Putin.  Biden and his team will avoid a live , unscripted , no teleprompter , Q&A at all cost.

Will we even learn if JW's were brought up?  The officials will only leak what they want to leak for PR purposes.  Otherwise, the meeting will be considered classified negotiations.