JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

She's knocked on New Jersey doors for decades. Then COVID changed everything

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 996 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

Couldn't read it ... wants me to turn off my ad blocker :( 

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

Good thing I have 2 articles left to read for free

Spoiler

Now, in an era of lockdowns and social distancing, adherents like (Susan) Cohen have had to switch to phone calls and letters, in a break with more than a century of tradition. It has proved an adjustment for the 75-year-old (wow!), a self-described "people person" who misses her in-person appeals.

Still, in recent months, she's discovered she can evangelize remotely. In fact, she may be reaching far more people now.

image.thumb.png.5bddf424fb38868f58df623b5907e883.png

"My career now is my ministry," said Cohen, who grew up in a Conservative Jewish family in Passaic before converting almost a half-century ago. "Nothing has given me as much enjoyment and fulfillment as what I'm doing now."

On a typical morning before the pandemic, Cohen used to visit about two blocks' worth of homes. With many people at work, few came to the door. Now, she can make dozens of calls in a few hours. And with more people working from home — and pining for a human connection — many are answering, she said.  

"it was a dizzying moment in our history, because it's the first time it's ever happened," said Robert Hendriks, a spokesman. "When you look at our history you will find that we have fought long and hard for our right to preach in this country, establishing our right to worship in some 50 Supreme Court victories. For us to suspend the very thing that defines us was a shock for the entire organization." 

There are almost 8.7 million Jehovah's Witnesses in 240 countries around the globe, Hendriks said, including 1.3 million in the U.S.

Like other members, Hendriks has discovered the joys of letter writing. He crafts each message based on information about prospective recipients found on the internet.

There are no immediate plans to return to in-person meetings. More than 19,000 Jehovah's Witnesses worldwide have succumbed to COVID-19, even as all in-person meetings and conventions were suspended, according to the group's website. 

Eager for connection

Recently, Cohen calmed a frazzled Amazon customer service rep, who was having a hard day. The woman revealed she was commuting long hours to work and felt burdened by her frantic schedule. Cohen gently suggested the Jehovah's Witnesses could offer answers to some of her deeper questions and directed her to the website.

"She was grateful," Cohen said triumphantly. 

Good thing I have 2 articles left to read for free
Spoiler

Now, in an era of lockdowns and social distancing, adherents like (Susan) Cohen have had to switch to phone calls and letters, in a break with more than a century of tradition. It has proved an adjustment for the 75-year-old (wow!), a self-described "people person" who misses her in-person appeals.
Still, in recent months, she's discovered she can evangelize remotely. In fact, she may be reaching far more people now.

image.thumb.png.5bddf424fb38868f58df623b5907e883.png

"My career now is my ministry," said Cohen, who grew up in a Conservative Jewish family in Passaic before converting almost a half-century ago. "Nothing has given me as much enjoyment and fulfillment as what I'm doing now."
On a typical morning before the pandemic, Cohen used to visit about two blocks' worth of homes. With many people at work, few came to the door. Now, she can make dozens of calls in a few hours. And with more people working from home — and pining for a human connection — many are answering, she said.  

"it was a dizzying moment in our history, because it's the first time it's ever happened," said Robert Hendriks, a spokesman. "When you look at our history you will find that we have fought long and hard for our right to preach in this country, establishing our right to worship in some 50 Supreme Court victories. For us to suspend the very thing that defines us was a shock for the entire organization." 

There are almost 8.7 million Jehovah's Witnesses in 240 countries around the globe, Hendriks said, including 1.3 million in the U.S.

Like other members, Hendriks has discovered the joys of letter writing. He crafts each message based on information about prospective recipients found on the internet.
There are no immediate plans to return to in-person meetings. More than 19,000 Jehovah's Witnesses worldwide have succumbed to COVID-19, even as all in-person meetings and conventions were suspended, according to the group's website. 

Eager for connection
Recently, Cohen calmed a frazzled Amazon customer service rep, who was having a hard day. The woman revealed she was commuting long hours to work and felt burdened by her frantic schedule. Cohen gently suggested the Jehovah's Witnesses could offer answers to some of her deeper questions and directed her to the website.
"She was grateful," Cohen said triumphantly. 

If you can access the video:

https://www.northjersey.com/videos/news/2021/07/26/jehovahs-witness-susan-cohen-uses-phone-letters-reach-people/8073432002/