JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

What was your first Scripture/favorite?

Hello during letter writing this morning, someone asked what is the first scripture you heard (scripture where you knew that this is the truth). I thought it was a good question, so I wanted to share it.

I don’t remember the first scripture I read, but one that stuck out with me immediately was Ecclesiastes 9:5 “For the living know that they will die, but the dead know nothing at all, not do they have any more reward, because all memory of them is forgotten” 

before I knew about Jehovah’s Witnesses I believed in ghosts and spirits, and that you go to Heaven or or Hell after Death. But when I read that it was just SO clear and logical, it was so clear that it made me think why other religions (Catholic’s) not teach the dead are conscious of nothing, when it’s right there plain as day! 

I will also throw in a bonus favorite scripture. One of my favorites is Hebrews 6:10 “For God is not unrighteous so as to forget your work and the love you showed for his name by ministering and continuing to minister to the holy ones”

I like this one because I get bouts of depression and unworthiness but when I see that scripture it reminds me that Jehovah still loves me and hasn’t forgotten what I have done for him(and other reason why I like this scripture).

so what about you guys, what was your first scripture? Or what is your favorite scripture? 

Psalm 83:18  May people know that you, whose name is Jehovah, You alone are the Most High over all the earth.

As soon as I saw that, I knew I had found The TRUTH. 👍

:D 

Macaw.gif.7e20ee7c5468da0c38cc5ef24b9d0f6d.gifRoss

Nobody has to DRIVE me crazy.5a5e0e53285e2_Nogrinning.gif.d89ec5b2e7a22c9f5ca954867b135e7b.gif  I'm close enough to WALK. 5a5e0e77dc7a9_YESGrinning.gif.e5056e95328247b6b6b3ba90ddccae77.gif

Revelations 21:3-4 was the one for me but today I heard this one in the field service and thought I share it.

Job 35:9-10

“People cry out when under great oppression; They cry for relief from the domination of the powerful.  But no one says, ‘Where is God, my Grand Maker, The one causing songs to be sung in the night?”

• 1 month later...
24 minutes ago, Michelle81 said:

I am Jehovah, and there is no one else.

There is no God except me.+

I will strengthen* you, although you did not know me  -Isaiah 45:5

Couple above (Isaiah 45:5) with Mark 10:18 to disprove trinity talk...

"Jesus said to him: “Why do you call me good? Nobody is good except one, God.""

At 69 I have had many favorites and honestly could not recall "the one" but today's Watchtower was a reminder that obligatory attention and duty is NOT the type of love Jehovah has for us nor is it the LOVE he hopes that we have for each other...   As I sat on the edge of my bed this morning I saw this framed title page from the first gifted Bible I received in 1972.  I eventually wore out that little KJ's version and saved the front page and my favorite verses and saved them this way...  Tada!! 

First John 4:18 tells us: “There is no fear in love, but perfect love throws fear outside.” No Fear 1.bmp

12 hours ago, Geralyn said:

First John 4:18 tells us: “There is no fear in love, but perfect love throws fear outside.”  No Fear 1.bmp 13.57 MB · 6 downloads

I've struggled with this Scripture recently because there are so many Scriptures instructing us to fear Jehovah. I believe the healthy fear of Jehovah is important. 

Edited by Michelle81

8 minutes ago, Michelle81 said:

so many Scriptures instructing us to fear Jehovah.

It certainly is vital to get this concept straight.  I have used a campfire analogy to make the point that most of us are drawn to a nice fire, it is beautiful and alluring and in some circumstances fire can be the difference between life and death!  but only a fool thinks he can just grab hold of a flaming log from the fire and casually wave it around to make a point!   One starting a fire with gasoline should be exceptionally fearful of how violently the fire takes off.    I was a young mother thinking of how unloved I had been in the world, how Jehovah took such a generous step to save me and that I must now not be afraid to draw close to Jehovah, to publicly call his Name in the face of those in my life who distained it.  I wore out the index studying what true love is... 

49 minutes ago, Geralyn said:

It certainly is vital to get this concept straight.  I have used a campfire analogy to make the point that most of us are drawn to a nice fire, it is beautiful and alluring and in some circumstances fire can be the difference between life and death!  but only a fool thinks he can just grab hold of a flaming log from the fire and casually wave it around to make a point!   One starting a fire with gasoline should be exceptionally fearful of how violently the fire takes off.    I was a young mother thinking of how unloved I had been in the world, how Jehovah took such a generous step to save me and that I must now not be afraid to draw close to Jehovah, to publicly call his Name in the face of those in my life who distained it.  I wore out the index studying what true love is... 

Great analogy sister!  Love it; and love YOU! ❤️