JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Stupid Smart Phone Troubles

So, like 2/3's of my screen on my Motorola Droid X stopped working. I am out of warranty and do not carry insurance on the phone. So I went into Verizon to explore my options and a young woman who worked there said this was 'open enrollment month' for those who never opted for insurance. I could add the insurance for $1.99 per month and get a new phone overnight. I said cool! (yes, she was blonde, and this is tantemount to insurance fraud I am sure - but hey, I was just doing what the employee was suggesting).

My new phone arrives yesterday, and within 30 minutes of having it on it starts doing the SAME THING. 1/3 of the screen started flickering and then went out. I did some research and found this is common with this particular phone - I just happened to get a good year and 4 months out of my first one. So anyhow, I took it in and another phone is being overnighted and should arrive today.

It's amazing how tech dependent we become. Not having a phone that I can see the screen on has me so frustrated that this topic probably belongs in the Comfort and Support Forum, lol!

I have a website about healthy low carb eating, nutrition, and weight loss. Come join CarnivoreTalk.com and learn more!

If the new phone fails . . move to HTC.

I work in telco industry and have insider info on brands and their 'return rate'. HTC are solid.

Samsung a close second.

Motorola have patchy years. Some very good but when they go bad . . it is really bad.

Hopes youré up and running soon.

I agree with Jan, I really like HTC, they make solid devices with a good success to failure ratio. I was about to upgrade my Incredible to the Rezound, but then Verizon's new $30 upgrade fee kicked in. So now I'll wait until I really need it! :tongue:

I agree with Jan, I really like HTC, they make solid devices with a good success to failure ratio. I was about to upgrade my Incredible to the Rezound, but then Verizon's new $30 upgrade fee kicked in. So now I'll wait until I really need it! :tongue:

HTC / HD2 here - reloaded with Android. Bought it July 1, 2010 and it still runs great, but I have my eye on that new Samsung Galaxy S II (skyrocket is the AT&T version). I like the white one.

http://www.att.com/shop/wireless/devices/lte-smartphones.jsp?WT.srch=1&fbid=hhgLYA25qap

Is Samsung good with their phones?

Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

Yes, Samsung are also very reliable compared to Motorola.

I have heard of some problems with some of the apps we like running on Samsung's Android phones and tablets, but from what I can tell, there are adjustments to the settings that usually clear these up.

I have also read that the Skyrocket has problems with their native Email app. There is a lot in the forums about it and I know a brother who is experiencing it right now. The phone seems to not store emails in the inbox once they are read.

I was a fan of Nokia It seemed to be the Only reliable phone, Do they have a smart phone.

I Have a Samsung Galaxie I prefer it To My hubby's iphone any day,

"It's a known fact that eighty decibels of rushing water is one of the most pleasing sounds known to mankind. On other hand, ten and a half days at sea is enough water for anybody." 

I was a fan of Nokia It seemed to be the Only reliable phone, Do they have a smart phone.

Nokia do a Smart phone but is is probably 'Dumber' than smart. They are only OK and nobody raves about them.

I have noticed the menu is a bit tricky and many people take ages to adjust to it.

Samsung Galaxie is quite good. Positive feedback all around. Any quirks these phones have can be fixed from download updates.

Keep up with them. Sometimes it is good to remove the battery as an equivalent to the kind of restart you do to your computer after

big changes are made. It settles things down again.

I have a Galaxy Nexus . . very smooth . .but I have just discovered my contacts (added neatly) can only get a 'group text' if I set my

contact list up differently. Hummmph! I wanted to send a worldwide 'group text' to my friends to let them know a Melanoma on my foot

has not gone malignant (the kind of news everybody wants fast) . .and it took a bunch of single texts to let them know. But . .HEY! I'm HAPPY JAN today.:ecstatic:

I have had a mobile phone for a few years now, a Siemens A65. It is very basic; sends text messages (and receives them too) and I can make phone calls. I can set an alarm on it to wake me up. Not much else. No internet, no music, no camera. But I don't want one of the new ones. FREE calls, FREE texts, FREE phone, FREE internet - only £30 a month! That's not cheap for something that's free! :wall:

I walked in to Carphone Warehouse (http://www.carphonewarehouse.com/) the other day and looked at the phones. The assistant asked if he could help me, and I told him: No - I don't have a car. I feel safe browsing in there.

[rant mode]

My phone is for emergencies. I hate it when people call me and assume that I am doing nothing but sitting waiting for their call. I yearn for the quieter days, when, if you wanted to call someone, you looked for a phone booth that was working. Buses were quieter - now there is a constant babble (in multiple unintelligible languages here in London), and some people don't need the phone - they are so loud it becomes unnecessary! [And I do NOT want to know the details you are giving to your friend over the phone thinking that your conversation is private.] :phone:

[/rant mode]

Nokia do a Smart phone but is is probably 'Dumber' than smart. They are only OK and nobody raves about them.

I have noticed the menu is a bit tricky and many people take ages to adjust to it.

Samsung Galaxie is quite good. Positive feedback all around. Any quirks these phones have can be fixed from download updates.

Keep up with them. Sometimes it is good to remove the battery as an equivalent to the kind of restart you do to your computer after

big changes are made. It settles things down again.

I have a Galaxy Nexus . . very smooth . .but I have just discovered my contacts (added neatly) can only get a 'group text' if I set my

contact list up differently. Hummmph! I wanted to send a worldwide 'group text' to my friends to let them know a Melanoma on my foot

has not gone malignant (the kind of news everybody wants fast) . .and it took a bunch of single texts to let them know. But . .HEY! I'm HAPPY JAN today.:ecstatic:

Hey Jan I'm happy for you too. Must be OH! What a GOOD! FEELING! If only there was A Toyota Jumping smiley hope you get my drift. Jan on the samsung the only thing I can't work out is how to send and receive a business card. When I have a NO. that i ask my hubby or friend they send business card but i can't access it. It comes through blank. is there something i am not doing Right or is it a missing Link,

Windsor Gardens was the cong I was thinking Of are you near that area. what a beautiful hall very spacey My Hubby use to go there when he lived in Adelaide? I know Its a huge place? Adelaide we were recently down In yorke Peninsula soooo! gorgeous I have never been to the Bahama's but it had the same effect from photo's I seen.

"It's a known fact that eighty decibels of rushing water is one of the most pleasing sounds known to mankind. On other hand, ten and a half days at sea is enough water for anybody." 

Hi Gabe.

Thanks for the support.

Your Galaxy contacts list should be set up with your name in an easy to find location when you open Contacts.

Put your numbers, address and emails into the right fields and when you touch your name the details should expand and fill the screen with all things visible.

In Top Right hand corner there is the 3 dot menu button > press it > a drop down will appear that has a 'Share' tab. When it is touched another box will give you a selection of email, gmail or bluetooth etc. I use Gmail to send my details as email and it saves into contacts when the other person gets it. :coffee:.

My new Droid X (the 3rd one) seems to be working just fine. But I also scored a Droid X2 off of some kid on craigslist so that is the one I am using now, with the Droid X in a dresser drawer as a backup phone.

I have a website about healthy low carb eating, nutrition, and weight loss. Come join CarnivoreTalk.com and learn more!

I've been considering getting another line for my daughter, so I was salivating over the Samsung Galaxy Nexus (with ICS) and the new Motorola Droid Razr Maxx (2.5 but soon to have ICS). but so far have decided to wait. Now that I have a phone again and I not all jittery and suffering from withdrawals anymore :)

I see the UK newspapers are having a campaign - Rip-off Britain! - about the fact that all electronic gadgets like smart phones and Ipads are 70% more expensive with expensive tariffs here compared to the USA. Last year UK paid 25% more but the gap has widened.I know pioneer brothers who used to get friends and relatives visiting the States to get electronic goods such as laptops for them, but the Customs have imposed rules about that now, so you have to be careful about doing that too now.