JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Dogs have been known to ruin a mornings ministry for me, every house seems to have at least one. I like dogs (my own dog) some though are so fierce. I have thought about carrying dog biscuits to make freinds with them, has anyone else tried this ??

there have been times when I have come close to being bitten :(

You can't walk with God while holding hands with the Devil.

In our congregation territory, after the local priest is the biggest problem.

A sister uses a very clever technique has a letter that says it was unable to speak personally, the letter contains a simple presentation and has a brochure. Puts letter in the mailbox and leaves.

There exists the one speaking thoughtlessly as with the stabs of a sword, but the tongue of the wise ones is a healing. Because, pleasant sayings are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and a healing to the bones.(Proverbs 12:18,16:24)

If i saw a dog sign in the front, during the campaign, I go straight to the mailbox leaving the invitation without knocking the door :no:

Modesty is not something we can simply define in a way that suits us.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Say what you mean. Mean what you say. But don't say it mean.

Annie...myself and a couple others carried dog treats with us for awhile but then someone made a good point. If a householder is inside and sees us give their dog a treat they might think we are trying to poison the dog and get upset. I have a friend who carries one of those silent dog "thingies" (not a whistle) that emits the sound we can't hear but dogs can. She keeps it in her coat pocket and pushes the button if theres a dog that seems less than friendly. Seems to work pretty well.

A sister uses a very clever technique has a letter that says it was unable to speak personally, the letter contains a simple presentation and has a brochure. Puts letter in the mailbox and leaves.

In the USA that could/might/maybe get you in a bit of a pickle as it is illegal to put a letter in the Mail box with out postage.

We cannot incite if we are not in sight.___Heb.10:24,25

In the USA that could/might/maybe get you in a bit of a pickle as it is illegal to put a letter in the Mail box with out postage.

I love Greece nothing is illegal

There exists the one speaking thoughtlessly as with the stabs of a sword, but the tongue of the wise ones is a healing. Because, pleasant sayings are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and a healing to the bones.(Proverbs 12:18,16:24)

Even more, it is a federal offense for anyone except the mailbox owner or a member of the Postal service to put ANYTHING in a private mailbox here in the States.

Even more, it is a federal offense for anyone except the mailbox owner or a member of the Postal service to put ANYTHING in a private mailbox here in the States.

In our mailboxes find almost everything. Flyers from supermarkets, invitations, promotions for shops. And of course bills. There are companies that only they do is to distribute flyers.

In our congregation territory' date=' after the local priest is the biggest problem. A sister uses a very clever technique has a letter that says it was unable to speak personally, the letter contains a simple presentation and has a brochure. [b']Puts letter in the mailbox and leaves.
It is even illegal to put anything in the front door "mail slot". Even if it does not have "Mail" written on it, it is still considered their mailbox and it is illegal to put anything through it.

99887=5516-mail-slot.jpg

In our congregation territory' date=' after the local priest is the biggest problem. A sister uses a very clever technique has a letter that says it was unable to speak personally, the letter contains a simple presentation and has a brochure. [b']Puts letter in the mailbox and leaves.
It is even illegal to put anything in the front door "mail slot". Even if it does not have "Mail" written on it, it is still considered their mailbox and it is illegal to put anything through it.

99887=5516-mail-slot.jpg

Question: At campaigns, you do not find a person at home, what are you doing? “Kingdom Ministry” advises us to leave an invitation.

99887=5516-mail-slot.jpg

Question: At campaigns, you do not find a person at home, what are you doing? “Kingdom Ministry” advises us to leave an invitation.
In our area we are advised not to leave the invitation or the magazines under the door mat for one thing. The invites must not be seen from the street. We have three options, one is to open the screen door if unlocked and wedge it between the door and frame. The second is to fold the invitation and slide it between the front door and the weather-proofing/door frame and the third option is to take the address down for the closed-in ones to mail invitations with proper postage.

Yeah, you're correct. Personally I think this law is retarded because how on earth does leaving something in the mailbox hinder or harm anything? Obviously Canada and Greece do not mind, that's 2 our of 3 countries represented in this thread where people from them have commented on it.

Many/most houses here in the US have a 'newspaper box' immediately under the mailbox, in which those distributing business or other fliers can leave things. I've never seen any Witnesses use it, though, apparently because they're not universal, it's just as easy to leave it in the screen/weather door, and making the effort to go to the person's door and trying to speak to them is more personal and dignified.

Not sure about other countries, but in the US many neighborhoods have the mailbox at the street rather than on the house.

In our area we are advised not to leave the invitation or the magazines under the door mat for one thing. The invites must not be seen from the street. We have three options, one is to open the screen door if unlocked and wedge it between the door and frame. The second is to fold the invitation and slide it between the front door and the weather-proofing/door frame and the third option is to take the address down for the closed-in ones to mail invitations with proper postage.

We have had a legal case in Australia that dictates we are no longer allowed to open a screen door to knock or place tracts behind.

It is considered 'entry' .

The issue of dogs is left to the discretion and observations of each publisher. Sometimes I know the dog and household . .so go in.

Other times I don't feel comfortable so will not enter. My Mother has been bitten and it causes all kinds of problems. :crying:

Post box challenges exist because we use letter boxes near the fence (no front door ones in most areas) and "Junk Mail" has become a problem.

Many mail boxes have a sign on them stating mail from Post Office only (or more coarse lingo) so we are not allowed to put tracts into them.

Junk Mail is often bulky and copious . . very annoying for me when my real mail does not fit inside properly and ends up sodden by rain . .but we may put items in the box if it is an RV .

Does anyone else have to deal with a proliferation of "Do Not Knock" stickers? Because of aggressive marketing by telcos, gas and electric companies to gain and switch customers . . these stickers are booming in number. Some people see us arrive and ask us who we are . .but many have become aggressive and send us packing. :touche:

Dogs have become a much lesser issue in our ministry now . Other things are cropping up instead.

One of our older sisters here in California was set on by three dogs, knocked to the ground and severely injured. The householder saw the whole thing and wasn't inclined to be helpful The sister had to sue to pay hospital and medical bills. That householder probably doesn't think much of us now, but to let this happen probably he didn't start out friendly.

I mentioned that when she tells people the one that was bitten should mention that the three dogs were pit bulls, thus gaining more sympathy. Actually they were Chihuahuas.

:perplexed:

I feel terrible, but every time the story is mentioned, I want to laugh. The sister was hurt and scarred and frightened. But Chihuahuas! If it had been larger dogs it wouldn't have been funny at all (which of course it is not), but Chihuahuas.

Anyway, back to the topic. We always carry dog cookies with us. Some don't want to get out of the car if there are dogs. A couple of us don't mind. Only one person has asked what we gave the dog and they didn't mind once we showed them what it was and talked about the wonderful organic properties of the dog treats.

One of our older sisters here in California was set on by three dogs, knocked to the ground and severely injured. The householder saw the whole thing and wasn't inclined to be helpful The sister had to sue to pay hospital and medical bills. That householder probably doesn't think much of us now, but to let this happen probably he didn't start out friendly.

I mentioned that when she tells people the one that was bitten should mention that the three dogs were pit bulls, thus gaining more sympathy. Actually they were Chihuahuas.

:perplexed:

I feel terrible, but every time the story is mentioned, I want to laugh. The sister was hurt and scarred and frightened. But Chihuahuas! If it had been larger dogs it wouldn't have been funny at all (which of course it is not), but Chihuahuas.

Anyway, back to the topic. We always carry dog cookies with us. Some don't want to get out of the car if there are dogs. A couple of us don't mind. Only one person has asked what we gave the dog and they didn't mind once we showed them what it was and talked about the wonderful organic properties of the dog treats.

Actually.......... I did some research a couple years ago. The top 50 dogs responsible for dog bites in the ER. Pit bulls didn't make the top 20!!! They were closer to 50. Rotts/Dobermans made number 1. Guess who made number 2??? Chihuahuas!!! I hate them stupid things. I think of them as moving footballs. They come close to me and I demonstrate a nice field goal kick!!!

I had a non-witness neighbor once who loved to fish. One time he was invited with a group by a man that he didn't really know to go out on the boat of the man he didn't know. (Sorry.) Anyway, as he was walking out on the dock carrying all his gear, a dog jumped out of the boat and came running down the dock straight for my neighbor. He didn't want to make a scene or hurt the dog, so he just lifted his foot and pointed the bottom of his boot at the charging dog. The idiot dog (not a Chihuahua, unfortunately) ran straight into his boot without stopping and died on the spot, probably of a broken neck. The neighbor felt bad about killing his host's dog, but he was there to fish so he got aboard with everyone else.He said he felt kind of uncomfortable, but hey.

I don't know what they did with the dog. Left it on the dock? Used it for bait?

Rick not every cities in Canada agrees with that. A brother who visited us in Montreal was surprised when I open the mailbox and put a tracks in there. In Toronto there is a prohibition on that he said. I went to Ottawa, there is none there too.

Yeah, you're correct. Personally I think this law is retarded because how on earth does leaving something in the mailbox hinder or harm anything? Obviously Canada and Greece do not mind, that's 2 our of 3 countries represented in this thread where people from them have commented on it.

Many/most houses here in the US have a 'newspaper box' immediately under the mailbox, in which those distributing business or other fliers can leave things. I've never seen any Witnesses use it, though, apparently because they're not universal, it's just as easy to leave it in the screen/weather door, and making the effort to go to the person's door and trying to speak to them is more personal and dignified.

Not sure about other countries, but in the US many neighborhoods have the mailbox at the street rather than on the house.

Question: Can you counter sue or claim the household for the damage?

We have had a legal case in Australia that dictates we are no longer allowed to open a screen door to knock or place tracts behind.

It is considered 'entry' .

The issue of dogs is left to the discretion and observations of each publisher. Sometimes I know the dog and household . .so go in.

Other times I don't feel comfortable so will not enter. My Mother has been bitten and it causes all kinds of problems. :crying:

Post box challenges exist because we use letter boxes near the fence (no front door ones in most areas) and "Junk Mail" has become a problem.

Many mail boxes have a sign on them stating mail from Post Office only (or more coarse lingo) so we are not allowed to put tracts into them.

Junk Mail is often bulky and copious . . very annoying for me when my real mail does not fit inside properly and ends up sodden by rain . .but we may put items in the box if it is an RV .

Does anyone else have to deal with a proliferation of "Do Not Knock" stickers? Because of aggressive marketing by telcos, gas and electric companies to gain and switch customers . . these stickers are booming in number. Some people see us arrive and ask us who we are . .but many have become aggressive and send us packing. :touche:

Dogs have become a much lesser issue in our ministry now . Other things are cropping up instead.

What's the consequences if you break?

Our Circuit/district is in New Jersey, so we might be there (in NJ) to preach during the DC campaign if time allows us.

Does anyone else have to deal with a proliferation of "Do Not Knock" stickers? Because of aggressive marketing by telcos' date=' gas and electric companies to gain and switch customers . . these stickers are booming in number. Some people see us arrive and ask us who we are . .but many have become aggressive and send us packing.[/quote'] Last years found this stickers

100113=5529-34669524dc0.jpg We do not want visits from Jehovah's Witnesses ... do not disturb where I live in our village, without exaggeration can they have half of the houses.

I guess that makes the ministry easier, you only have half as much territory to cover. Peple are making their choices and saving us time.

If street work is an option, you may contact these people in other settings. There are a few such stickers in the UK, but not many here in our territory.

We used to have a lovely rough collie (like Lassie) - I had her from 8 weeks old. A sister from another congregation who was a friend of ours visited with her son, who was a terror! Our dog nipped him, but it served him right.

The only other person she ever nipped was the Circuit Overseer who was staying with us! He was upstairs when Bethel rang him on our house phone (I don't think there were such things as mobiles then!). He ran downstairs towards me, and the dog must have thought I was under threat. The CO understood this perfectly and realised that the dog was not at fault. We had a good laugh about it later.