JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

James Webb Space Telescope (JWST)

Meanwhile, back on the Hubble...

New Hubble photo shows galaxy's bright supermassive black hole cloaked in dust
By Samantha Mathewson published 4 days ago

NASA's venerable space telescope has captured a stunning new view of a galaxy with an active black hole obscured by tendrils of dark dust.

The spiral galaxy, known as NGC 7172, is located about 110 million light-years from Earth in the constellation Piscis Austrinus. The image combines two sets of images taken by the Hubble Space Telescope's Advanced Camera for Surveys and Wide Field Camera 3.

The new image, which NASA shared on April 1, highlights tendrils of dark dust threaded across the heart of the galaxy. That dust obscures the bright central region of the galaxy.

https://www.space.com/galaxy-active-black-hole-hidden-hubble-photo

Old (Downunder) Tone

NGC7172.png

Edited by ➕👇 ꓤꓱꓷꓠꓵ🎵Tone

Scientists Have Spotted the Farthest Galaxy Ever – It May Be Home to the Oldest Stars in the Universe

An international team of astronomers, including researchers at the Center for Astrophysics | Harvard & Smithsonian, has spotted the most distant astronomical object ever: a galaxy.

Named HD1, the galaxy candidate is some 13.5 billion light-years away and is described today (April 7, 2022) in The Astrophysical Journal. In an accompanying paper published in the Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society Letters, scientists have begun to speculate exactly what the galaxy is.

The team proposes two ideas: HD1 may be forming stars at an astounding rate and is possibly even home to Population III stars, the universe’s very first stars — which, until now, have never been observed. Alternatively, HD1 may contain a supermassive black hole about 100 million times the mass of our Sun.

https://scitechdaily.com/scientists-have-spotted-the-farthest-galaxy-ever-it-may-be-home-to-the-oldest-stars-in-the-universe/

Old (Downunder) Tone

HD-1.png

HD-2.png

Edited by ➕👇 ꓤꓱꓷꓠꓵ🎵Tone

4 hours ago, 👇 ꓤꓱꓷꓠꓵ🎵Tone said:

Scientists Have Spotted the Farthest Galaxy Ever – It May Be Home to the Oldest Stars in the Universe

An international team of astronomers, including researchers at the Center for Astrophysics | Harvard & Smithsonian, has spotted the most distant astronomical object ever: a galaxy.

Named HD1, the galaxy candidate is some 13.5 billion light-years away and is described today (April 7, 2022) in The Astrophysical Journal. In an accompanying paper published in the Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society Letters, scientists have begun to speculate exactly what the galaxy is.

The team proposes two ideas: HD1 may be forming stars at an astounding rate and is possibly even home to Population III stars, the universe’s very first stars — which, until now, have never been observed. Alternatively, HD1 may contain a supermassive black hole about 100 million times the mass of our Sun.

https://scitechdaily.com/scientists-have-spotted-the-farthest-galaxy-ever-it-may-be-home-to-the-oldest-stars-in-the-universe/

emoji3073.pngOld (Downunder) Tone emoji854.png

HD-1.png

HD-2.png

I think the timeline base upon theories. More pictures that comes in, more complex is going to get.  Sciences have  admit that there is a creator. 

...Sciences have  admit that there is a creator. 

Do they ever stop to think...

What caused the big bang?

Using Newtons 3rd law:
"For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction"
... means there must be a First Cause.

The Truth is out there, but not all want to believe.

Rom 1:25
They exchanged the truth of God for the lie and venerated and rendered sacred service to the creation rather than the Creator.

Old (Downunder) Tone

Hubble - Oldie but a Goodie:
[NY Post]

Perhaps one of the most stunning images of NGC 6302, or the “Butterfly Nebula,” this photograph was released by NASA on June 18, 2020.

It depicts the Butterfly Nebula across a complete spectrum of light, from near-ultraviolet to near-infrared to help “researchers better understand the mechanics at work in its technicolor ‘wings’ of gas,” NASA said.

https://www.the-sun.com/tech/5057877/five-mind-blowing-hubble-space-telescope-images/

Old (Downunder) Tone

NGC-6302.png

Edited by ➕👇 ꓤꓱꓷꓠꓵ🎵Tone

JWST Update. (Some highlights quoted. Full article in link at end)

Final James Webb Space Telescope instrument reaches super-cold operating temperature
By Elizabeth Howell published 2 days ago

The final instrument aboard the $10 billion James Webb Space Telescope finally achieved its operating temperature of just above absolute zero. The successful cooling ensures that the observatory will be able to probe cosmic objects in infrared light, according to a Wednesday (April 13) statement from NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory (JPL) in California, which leads U.S. work on the instrument, called the Mid-Infrared Instrument (MIRI).

The telescope has been cooling ever since its launch on Dec. 25, 2021, bringing it to the frigid temperatures necessary for MIRI to accurately detect infrared light, which manifests as heat. MIRI needs to be at a temperature is a little below 7 degrees Kelvin, which is equivalent to minus 447 degrees Fahrenheit (minus 266 degrees Celsius). And the complex cooling procedures went very well, thanks lots of practice.

Just to make sure MIRI is behaving properly, the team plans more test images of stars and other objects to test its calibration and performance. Calibration is also ongoing on Webb's mirrors and three other instruments as the telescope team aims to finish its work by about June.

NASA has said it will hold a "key decision meeting" late in alignment, once the telescope can focus light successfully in each instrument, to confirm the aligning process is complete. Then will come final commissioning.

Providing this all goes to plan, a program of early science (Cycle 1) is expected to start around June, with "Cycle 2" operational science expected to begin in mid-2023.

https://www.space.com/james-webb-space-telescope-absolute-zero-calibration

Old (Downunder) Tone

No... NOT Hubble. It's from earth...

[2 years ago]

If You Loved Hubble’s Images You’ll Adore This ‘Star Birth’ Photo Taken From A Chilean Mountain

Jamie Carter
Oct 6, 2020,10:00pm EDT

The object of this new photo is the “Carina Nebula,” a region of space where stars are born a whopping 7,500 light-years away from our Solar System. It’s also a region where only space telescopes—well clear of the interference of Earth’s atmosphere—can take such images.

Or, at least, that used to be true. You see, the above image wasn’t taken by Hubble or any other orbiting space telescope, but by a team of astronomers using the Gemini South telescope atop a mountain in northern Chile.

Carina.png

On 3/22/2022 at 2:46 AM, 👇 ꓤꓱꓷꓠꓵ🎵Tone said:

Meanwhile, back at the Hubble...

"This cosmic portrait — captured with the NASA/ESA Hubble Space Telescope’s Wide Field Camera 3 — shows a stunning view of the spiral galaxy NGC 4571, which lies approximately 60 million light-years from Earth in the constellation Coma Berenices. This constellation — whose name translates as Bernice’s Hair — was named after an Egyptian queen who lived more than 2200 years ago..."

https://scitechdaily.com/hubble-spies-a-stunning-spiral-in-constellation-coma-berenices/

NGC-4571.png

Oh I like this one!  It’s got lavender! 😊. It really looks like a jewel. 

Jer 29:11-“For I well know the thoughts I am thinking toward you, declares Jehovah, thoughts of peace, and not calamity, to give you a future and a hope.”

Psalm 56:3-“When I am afraid, I put my trust in you.”
Romans 8:38-”For I am convinced...”

On 4/12/2022 at 3:40 AM, 👇 ꓤꓱꓷꓠꓵ🎵Tone said:

HD-1.png

HD-2.png

Could someone explain in layman’s terms how they are determining the age of galaxies or stars they’ve never seen?  Not a sarcastic question, genuinely curious how they do that.

Jer 29:11-“For I well know the thoughts I am thinking toward you, declares Jehovah, thoughts of peace, and not calamity, to give you a future and a hope.”

Angel Wing: Hubble Inspects a Vast Set of Galactic Wings
By ESA/HUBBLE APRIL 17, 2022

Two merging galaxies in the VV689 system — nicknamed the Angel Wing — feature in this image from the NASA/ESA Hubble Space Telescope. Unlike chance alignments of galaxies which only appear to overlap as seen from our vantage point on Earth, the two galaxies in VV689 are in the midst of a collision. The galactic interaction has left the VV689 system almost completely symmetrical, giving the impression of a vast set of galactic wings.

https://scitechdaily.com/angel-wing-hubble-inspects-a-vast-set-of-galactic-wings/

Old (Downunder) Tone

VV689.png

Edited by ➕👇 ꓤꓱꓷꓠꓵ🎵Tone

On 4/19/2022 at 7:21 PM, BLEmom said:

Could someone explain in layman’s terms how they are determining the age of galaxies or stars they’ve never seen?  Not a sarcastic question, genuinely curious how they do that.

I'll take a stab at this from memory and then come back after refreshing some details. Some of this may have gaps or simply be wrong.

Distances to the furthest objects are measured by their redshift. Red shift is the subtle change in the color of light by objects moving away from us. Electrons in the hydrogen and other star stuff emit light at specific wavelengths and these wavelengths get shifted to larger wavelenths or toward the color red the faster the object is moving away from us. We measure the color and then calculate the speed and thus the distance.

How can we calculate the distance from the speed? The 'Hubble constant' is part of that equation. By making these measurements, astronomers and physicists determined that the universe is expanding, and that the rate of expansion is  speeding up. This is the Hubble constant.

How did they measure that? By looking at starts with certain characteristics in our own Milky Way galaxy and nearby galaxies, often nicknamed 'standard candles' because their brightness and other characteristics are standardized across other measurable properties. Cepheid variables are one of these, they brighten and dim regularly and the period of that dimming corresponds to their overall brightness. Measure the brightness and how long it takes to brighten and dim and you can estimate how far away it is.

How did they calibrate that measurement of brightness? Some of the Cepheid variables are close enough to Earth to measure the parallax, the difference in angle we see when we're on one side of our orbit around the sun and 6 months later when we're on the other side. We know the size of Earth's orbit, when we measure that angle we get a distance to that star. This only works for relatively close stars, otherwise the angle gets too small to measure.

Like I said, there may be gaps and there is plenty of room for clarifications for each step along the way here.

26 minutes ago, -Chris- said:

I'll take a stab at this from memory and then come back after refreshing some details. Some of this may have gaps or simply be wrong.

Distances to the furthest objects are measured by their redshift. Red shift is the subtle change in the color of light by objects moving away from us. Electrons in the hydrogen and other star stuff emit light at specific wavelengths and these wavelengths get shifted to larger wavelenths or toward the color red the faster the object is moving away from us. We measure the color and then calculate the speed and thus the distance.

How can we calculate the distance from the speed? The 'Hubble constant' is part of that equation. By making these measurements, astronomers and physicists determined that the universe is expanding, and that the rate of expansion is  speeding up. This is the Hubble constant.

How did they measure that? By looking at starts with certain characteristics in our own Milky Way galaxy and nearby galaxies, often nicknamed 'standard candles' because their brightness and other characteristics are standardized across other measurable properties. Cepheid variables are one of these, they brighten and dim regularly and the period of that dimming corresponds to their overall brightness. Measure the brightness and how long it takes to brighten and dim and you can estimate how far away it is.

How did they calibrate that measurement of brightness? Some of the Cepheid variables are close enough to Earth to measure the parallax, the difference in angle we see when we're on one side of our orbit around the sun and 6 months later when we're on the other side. We know the size of Earth's orbit, when we measure that angle we get a distance to that star. This only works for relatively close stars, otherwise the angle gets too small to measure.

Like I said, there may be gaps and there is plenty of room for clarifications for each step along the way here.

That was layman’s terms? I guess I’m below that level for space talk despite all my years of watching Star Trek. 😂

I do appreciate what you wrote.  All of that seems to be about distance if I understood it correctly. I was asking how they determine the age of stars they can’t yet see.  Here’s what I’m referring to:

The group has two ideas: HD1 might be creating stars at an incredible pace, and it could even be home to Population III stars, the universe’s earliest stars, which have never been seen before. HD1 might also be home to a supermassive black hole with a mass 100 million times that of our Sun.

How are they determining the age? 

https://www.sciencenews.org/article/star-age-calculation-astronomy-life-cycle
Seems to be guesswork mixed with algebra. No wonder I don’t get it. 😂

On 4/20/2022 at 12:21 PM, BLEmom said:
Could someone explain in layman’s terms how they are determining the age of galaxies or stars...

Here is an article I found helpful. [Link below.]
It was written in a way I could grasp, and seemed to give an honest appraisal 'we are not sure....'
Nice pics, illustrations and charts. (Oh, and another 'timeline' too...)
Here's the opening words:

What were these stars made of?
How big and bright were they?
How long did they live, and what happened to them when they died?
Do any still exist?

The fact is, no one really knows exactly what the first stars were like. Not even the most powerful telescopes operating today—space telescopes like Hubble, Spitzer, and Chandra, and ground-based telescopes like Keck and ALMA—have been able to detect them. But we do have some ideas...

https://webbtelescope.org/resource-gallery/articles/pagecontent/filter-articles/what-were-the-first-stars-like?filterUUID=a776e097-0c60-421c-baec-1d8ad049bfb0

Old (Downunder) Tone

Pretty.png

Edited by ➕👇 ꓤꓱꓷꓠꓵ🎵Tone

5 hours ago, BLEmom said:

https://www.sciencenews.org/article/star-age-calculation-astronomy-life-cycle
Seems to be guesswork mixed with algebra. No wonder I don’t get it. 😂

I like the assessment you made: algebra & guesswork. Here is a basic run-down of the science of ageing a star. The end result was a star that is calculated to be older than the universe itself.....

https://www.space.com/how-can-a-star-be-older-than-the-universe.html

"These observations had been made by the Fine Guidance Sensors of the Hubble Space Telescope, which noted the positions, distances and energy output of stars. In acquiring parallax, spectroscopy and photometry measurements, the scientists could determine a better sense of age.

"One of the uncertainties with the age of HD 140283 was the precise distance of the star," Bond said. "It was important to get this right because we can better determine its luminosity and, from that, its age — the brighter the intrinsic luminosity, the younger the star..."

HD 140283 is nicknamed 'Methuselah'. This article is an interesting read. Their recalculation make this star about the same age as the Big Bang. (The point  I get ftom this article is that 'dating' stars is complex and not conclusive just yet.)

I threw in another timeline. They draw it as if they were there.

Methuselah.png

Timeline.png

Not telescope related, but unique planetary event:

https://7news.com.au/technology/space/rare-alignment-of-planets-to-light-up-night-sky-for-first-time-in-over-a-thousand-years-c-6536567

Rare alignment of planets to light up night sky for first time in over a thousand years
Mars, Venus, Jupiter and Saturn are set to make a spectacular, bright dotted line in the night sky. Here’s what we know.
Hayley Taylor / Space / Updated 1 day ago

Mars, Venus, Jupiter and Saturn are set appear in a straight line across the southeastern sky just before sunrise on Sunday.

The rare alignment of the four planets has not been seen in more than 1000 years, since the year 947 AD.

Watch the video above to learn exactly how to catch the rare phenomenon...

[Times and dates are Sydney (Au) time. Check your local clubs for local times.]

Old (Downunder) Tone

Align.png

Edited by ➕👇 ꓤꓱꓷꓠꓵ🎵Tone

Here are All of Hubble’s Observations in One Picture
APRIL 21, 2022 NANCY ATKINSON

Over the past 32 years, Hubble has made about 1.4 million observations of our Universe. Physicist Casey Handmer was curious how much of the sky has been imaged by Hubble, and figured out how to map out all of Hubble’s observations into one big picture of the sky.

It’s a gorgeous, almost poetic look at Hubble’s collective view of the cosmos. So, how much of the sky has Hubble imaged? The answer might surprise you.

https://www.universetoday.com/155549/here-are-all-of-hubbles-observations-in-one-picture/

Handmer pondered that question, and determined that since Hubble’s field of view is 202 arc seconds, it would take about 3.2 million observations to cover the sky. Since Hubble has made about 1.4 million observations ever since it launched in 1990, would the observatory have imaged about half of the sky? Not quite.

Answer:

“I ran a basic calculation and I think it’s around 0.8% of the entire sky has been exposed to the Hubble imaging system,” Handmer said via email, adding that the answer is not as simple as counting the dots in the image because the poles are actually quite stretched on this map.

“Hubble is best used for deep space observations,” Handmer said. “It wasn’t designed to be an all-sky survey telescope, and so and zooming around would undermine the telescope’s ability to stare at really tiny really dim objects for a long time to gain valuable data.”

Old (Downunder) Tone

HubbleCombo.jpg

Edited by ➕👇 ꓤꓱꓷꓠꓵ🎵Tone

ꓤꓱꓷꓠꓵTone" userid="10068"] ...Mars, Venus, Jupiter and Saturn are set appear in a straight line across the southeastern sky just before sunrise on Sunday.
The rare alignment of the four planets has not been seen in more than 1000 years, since the year 947 AD...

Why doesn't it happen at a better time? 5 am is to early!

Old (Downunder) Tone

20220424_053453.jpg

Edited by ➕👇 ꓤꓱꓷꓠꓵ🎵Tone

Ring galaxies, the rarest in the Universe, finally explained.
APRIL 20, 2022
Spirals, ellipticals, and irregulars are all more common than ring galaxies. At last, we know how these ultra-rare objects are made.

https://bigthink.com/starts-with-a-bang/ring-galaxies/

KEY TAKEAWAYS
Almost every galaxy can be classified as a spiral, elliptical, or irregular galaxy.
Only 1-in-10,000 galaxies fall into the rarest category of all: ring galaxies.
With a dense core consisting of old stars, and a circular or elliptical ring consisting of bright, blue, young stars, the first ring was only discovered in 1950: Hoag's object.
After decades of wondering how these objects form, we've seen enough of them, capturing them in various stages of evolution, that we finally know where they come from...

{Well, so they say in this 'catchy' headline. But the picture credit admits: "...but Hoag's object still poses unanswered questions'...}

Old (Downunder) Tone

Hoag.jpg

Edited by ➕👇 ꓤꓱꓷꓠꓵ🎵Tone

24 April 2022
What we’ve learned after 32 years of NASA’s Hubble
When the Hubble Space Telescope first launched in 1990, there was so much we didn't know. Here's how far we've come.
KEY TAKEAWAYS
When the Hubble Space Telescope launched on April 24, 1990, there was so much we still didn't know about the Universe.
We had never seen baby galaxies, exoplanets, didn't know about dark energy, and had a 100% uncertainty in how fast the Universe was expanding.
Over the past 32 years, we've uncovered and discovered so much. Excitingly, in many ways, the journey to the beginning of the Universe is only getting started.

https://bigthink.com/starts-with-a-bang/nasa-hubble/

The XDF picture below:
The Hubble eXtreme Deep Field (XDF) may have observed a region of sky just 1/32,000,000th of the total, but was able to uncover a whopping 5,500 galaxies within it: an estimated 10% of the total number of galaxies actually contained in this pencil-beam-style slice. The remaining 90% of galaxies are either too faint or too red or too obscured for Hubble to reveal, but when we extrapolate over the entire observable Universe, we expect to obtain a total of ~2 trillion galaxies.

Old (Downunder) Tone
{We have not even explored the fringes of His works.}

XDF.png

Edited by ➕👇 ꓤꓱꓷꓠꓵ🎵Tone

39 minutes ago, 👇 ꓤꓱꓷꓠꓵ🎵Tone said:

24 April 2022
What we’ve learned after 32 years of NASA’s Hubble
When the Hubble Space Telescope first launched in 1990, there was so much we didn't know. Here's how far we've come.
KEY TAKEAWAYS
When the Hubble Space Telescope launched on April 24, 1990, there was so much we still didn't know about the Universe.
We had never seen baby galaxies, exoplanets, didn't know about dark energy, and had a 100% uncertainty in how fast the Universe was expanding.
Over the past 32 years, we've uncovered and discovered so much. Excitingly, in many ways, the journey to the beginning of the Universe is only getting started.

https://bigthink.com/starts-with-a-bang/nasa-hubble/

The XDF picture below:
The Hubble eXtreme Deep Field (XDF) may have observed a region of sky just 1/32,000,000th of the total, but was able to uncover a whopping 5,500 galaxies within it: an estimated 10% of the total number of galaxies actually contained in this pencil-beam-style slice. The remaining 90% of galaxies are either too faint or too red or too obscured for Hubble to reveal, but when we extrapolate over the entire observable Universe, we expect to obtain a total of ~2 trillion galaxies.

{We have not even explored the fringes of His works.}

XDF.png

It could be up to 10 Trillion galaxies.