JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Synchronizing JWLibrary Personal Study information across multiple devices

I have used JWMerge for several years and I love it. If you are looking for a way to synchronize your JWLibrary Personal Study note, highlights and tags across several devices, look at JWMerge.

https://github.com/AntonyCorbett/JWLMerge

Edited by Tortuga
CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

2 minutes ago, coolbrz731 said:

That's the perfect answer.  My wife did the cloud backup and realized that it replaces, not adds to your notes.

I merge the backup files from one PC and two Android devices about once a month. It's great!

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

I have JWL on android, ipad and computers. Have only made backup files.

But I have never been on Github before ... scary, this ...

Must work up some courage. I wish for a sort of login thing, so that I can have a user across the units.

Thank you for the tip :thumbsup:

Matthew 6:22 - The lamp of the body is the eye. If, then, your eye is clear*, your whole body will be full of light*. 

(*footnote)

23 hours ago, Tortuga said:

I have used JWMerge for several years and I love it. If you are looking for a way to synchronize your JWLibrary Personal Study note, highlights and tags across several devices, look at JWMerge.

https://github.com/AntonyCorbett/JWLMerge

I couldn’t reliably get it to work without messing everything up. 
Couldn't work out the tags stuff

Need to try it again at some point. 

3 hours ago, Sebastian said:

Seems you need a Windows PC to facilitate the merge correct? Or maybe I’m missing something. 😬 

That is correct.

• 6 months later...

I love JWMerge but I just discovered that it doesn't merge the information in the 2023 Workbook new input fields. I put a different note in the first field for the first meeting on three separate devices. When I used JWMerge I had hoped it would merge the three separate comments into one comment, but it didn't. It took one of the comments and ignored the other two comments. So, for now, I will use just one device for the new input fields.

6 minutes ago, 👇 ꓤꓱꓷꓠꓵ🎵Tone said:

Did you happen to notice if it kept the last one by date? Or was it  random in the order that you 'merged' them? (Not that i will worry much about that at the moment.)

Good question. I did the backups at the same time but it looks like it kept the first one that i backed up. 

10 hours ago, Tortuga said:

I love JWMerge but I just discovered that it doesn't merge the information in the 2023 Workbook new input fields. I put a different note in the first field for the first meeting on three separate devices. When I used JWMerge I had hoped it would merge the three separate comments into one comment, but it didn't. It took one of the comments and ignored the other two comments. So, for now, I will use just one device for the new input fields.

Are you studying already the January workbook? :D

I'm sure when we get there Br Anthony wil lhave already updated his app. Don't sweat :wink:

6 hours ago, jayrtom said:

Are you studying already the January workbook? :D

I'm sure when we get there Br Anthony wil lhave already updated his app. Don't sweat :wink:

I try to merge my devices monthly so it was a good time to see how the 2023 Workbook would merge. I thought I would share my experiment with everyone in case anyone was interested. Haven't you finished studying the workbook yet? :D

• 2 months later...
15 minutes ago, pholmes38 said:

I haven't got a pc

But I have 2 android tablets and an android phone

Anyone know how I can merge my notes from all 3?

Thanks

You can send the JWL backup files to someone that has JW merge and ask them to merge them for you. Let me know if I can help.

1 hour ago, pholmes38 said:

See PM

Thanks Richard 

I just saw it. Happy to help.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

JWL Merge will not work after last update. 😔 

I saw this notice online:

For those users of JWLMerge, please note that this project is no longer compatible with the latest version of the JW Library. In July 2023 the database schema was changed from v8 to v13 and I will not be updating JWLMerge to support the new version. In Jan 2023, the JW Library licence agreement was strengthened, but it also gave opportunity for 3rd party developers to apply for official permission to do the sort of work that is present in JWLMerge. I made an application in January but have not received permission, and in these circumstances feel it best to archive the project at this juncture. Thank you for your understanding, and for your valuable input and feedback on the project over the last 6 years.

[Noooooooooo]

2 hours ago, 👇 ꓤꓱꓷꓠꓵ🎵Tone said:

JWL Merge will not work after last update. 😔 

I saw this notice online:

Per the developer:

"Note that this project is no longer compatible with the latest version of the JW Library. In July 2023 the database schema was changed from v8 to v13 and I will not be updating JWLMerge to support the new version. In Jan 2023, the JW Library licence agreement was strengthened, but it also gave opportunity for 3rd party developers to apply for official permission to do the sort of work that is present in JWLMerge. I made an application in January but have not received permission, and in these circumstances feel it best to archive the project at this juncture. Thank you for your understanding, and for your valuable input and feedback on the project over the last 6 years."

:cry:

Edited by Tortuga

37 minutes ago, Tortuga said:

Per the developer:

"Note that this project is no longer compatible with the latest version of the JW Library. In July 2023 the database schema was changed from v8 to v13 and I will not be updating JWLMerge to support the new version. In Jan 2023, the JW Library licence agreement was strengthened, but it also gave opportunity for 3rd party developers to apply for official permission to do the sort of work that is present in JWLMerge. I made an application in January but have not received permission, and in these circumstances feel it best to archive the project at this juncture. Thank you for your understanding, and for your valuable input and feedback on the project over the last 6 years."

:cry:

I just tried JWMerge to see what it would do with the updated JWL backup files and it wouldn't even recognize them. I can move older JWL backup files to JWMerge but I couldn't move any files made with the updated JWL. I deleted all of the playlists from the JWL backup file and it didn't make a difference, JWMerge does not recognize the backup files from the updated JWLibrary.