JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Losing weight

4 hours ago, bagwell1987 said:

My doctor said my body thinks it's starving when I did low carb/low cal so now I don't count carbs

This can be true, but it has to do with calorie restriction and portion controlling and not the carbs. Your body will slow it's metabolism way down to conserve resources if it thinks that there is a famine. It's a survival mechanism.

All carbs turn into sugar. Sugar causes your pancreas to spit out insulin. If you are insulin resistant, then we can logically conclude that you shouldn't eat foods that will cause your body to produce more insulin.

I would stop portion controlling, but still count your actual carbs (not net carbs) and keep them as low as possible, certainly no higher than 20 a day. Try to eat only fatty meat, eggs, and a few low carb veggies. No sugar, no grain, no processed food even if it says "keto" on the label because it's usually a lie. Eat until you are comfortably full and don't snack inbetween meals. You can still do one or two meals a day if you want, but if you do you want to make them count so your body doesn't imagine there's a famine. Try this for 30-90 days.

If you try that and still don't see results, there's things that you can check in your blood labs that could help narrow down the problem.

I have a website about healthy low carb eating, nutrition, and weight loss. Come join CarnivoreTalk.com and learn more!

Great advice Bob, done all that. Even my doctor is agast. I've done so many experiments on myself, for months at a time all to no avail. So now I'm just doing the rice, veg and protein. My body seems to respond to that, so far. I guess we'll see how it all is in April. Physically I feel better. 

Safeguard Your Heart for " Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks" Matthew 12:34

• 3 months later...

Before I get started. This is not medical advice. I have no agenda. This isn't political. I'm pushing nothing on you friends. I'm not trying to give my opinion or think you guys should do this or that. This is just food for thought. It's just my angle and my results to help you out.

TLDR

Honestly... now... I eat real whole foods. If it's been around in whole for millennia's, I eat it. If it's in a box and man-made I don't and around for the last 110 years I avoid it. I choose my food wisely now. I've done a lot to understand my body and health to be more effective in the ministry. King David used his body as a sacrifice and I was complaining too much that I was tired, luggish, and couldn't do things for Jehovah. I was doing it to myself.

https://www.jw.org/en/library/magazines/g201103/eat-wisely/

------------------------------

Long Story

It took over a year to eat this way but I choose to daily eat seed bearing fruit (Gen 1:29) or avocado, low glycemic berries, tomatoes, peppers, zucchini, squash, etc. in some variety for a meal, with spices or herbs. I eat ruminant (4 chamber stomach, cow, sheep, goat, etc) meat and chicken daily (Gen 9:3.) I eat raw nuts... pecans, almonds, sunflower seeds, and pumpkin seeds daily. I drink 80+oz of water a day and loose leaf black or green tea. "Some" dairy like cottage cheese and greek yogurt. That's it. If I need something sweet I eat sweet fruit like pineapple, apples, oranges, grapes, etc., or 72% or higher dark chocolate. I "rarely" eat food that grows underground. If I drink coffee it's decaf. If you're already obese coffee raises cortisol because of the caffeine which increases blood sugar and can result in some insulin resistance and adrenal issues. I stay away from grains with a passion because thats 70% of the food system in the USA and we mostly sit all day and gain weight (with over 50% obesity as a result.)

I don't eat out anymore unless I can exclusively get meat cooked in real butter or nothing at all. I don't drink soda anymore. I don't eat anything in a box. I can read all ingredient labels with chemicals and the results on the body. I shop outer aisles of stores. No refined carbs (wheat flour, enriched wheat, bleached flour, etc), added sugar, or seed oils (canola, soybean (veggie oil), corn, etc.) I use olive oil, avocado oil, or animal fats. I don't eat over friends houses and I barely eat at gatherings. I tell friends no unless there is a clean option otherwise. 

My food is medicine and you either eat for health or you eat for disease. I went from 274lbs to 169lbs from Feb 2022 to July 2023 with this method. I only walked and would run here and there. I retained "most" of my muscles.

I'm 40/Male/Black.

My Blood Work As Of December 2023

Cholesterol - 286 (From red meat and dairy)

LDL - 215 (From red meat and dairy)

Trigs - 55 from 120 (Above 150 is at risk for heart disease. Lower the better.)

HDL - 65 from 37 (Below 40 is at risk for heart disease. Higher the better.)

C-Reactive Protein - 1.12 (Low inflammation from the liver. The higher the number the worse.)

Fasting Insulin - 6.6 (Lower end of the spectrum for diabetes. The higher the worse.)

A1c - 5.2 from 5.6 (A1c cut off is 5.6, 5.7 and above is diabetic ranges.)

Fasting Glucose -  82 from 101 (Below 90 you're looking at CKD staging. I was stage 2 I guess.)

Blood Pressure - 110/74 (typically) from 145/91 (Got off 100mg Metoprolol for blood pressure/PVC as a result)

Average Resting Heart Rate - 55bpm

eGFR - 108 from 82 (I stopped drinking over a gallon of Diet Coke a day. CKD runs in the family.)

Now some of you might say my cholesterol and LDL is high. Well you have to take into account Trigs/HDL and A1c and Fasting Insulin. The C-Reactive Protein is the icing on the cake from an inflammation standpoint. C-Reactive Protein is something the liver pushes out. The higher the worse. Closer to .50 the better. When your trigs/HDL and A1c and fasting glucose are normal there is no metabolic disease. The basis for most if not all metabolic disease is added sugar, refined carbs, and seed oils. We can almost guarantee anyone with bad blood work eats all 3 in some shape or form. All man-made foods just like holidays/traditions of the world. Note: LDL isn't bad. You need LDL or you'd die. LDL are the "trucks" that take Trigs and other nutrients to your muscles and tissues. LDL is bad when you have low HDL and then trigs, A1c, and fasting glucose are high. HDL is the reverse in that it's from your muscles and tissues to your liver and out as waste. Further if your cholesterol is too low your body starts failing a good example is your reproductive system. You need cholesterol. If you have a lot of trucks (LDL) going in but not a lot of trucks going out (HDL) you get a backup and thus get disease. If you have high LDL, low HDL, and high cholesterol with high glucose and A1c, you have trig/sugar/nutrient spillage in your veins because the insulin is being resisted in your tissues. The sugar circulates in your blood. You can Google and Youtube this.

I'm Bipolar 1 and I've seen significant results with low carbs. I'm lowering my Bipolar 1 medication of Latuda now 30mg from 60mg as of yesterday and Lamotrigine 100mg from 150mg and will be lowered in June. My psych is doing 6 month intervals on dose lowering. I'm off sleeping medication Trazodone and I'm off Xanax completely.

At the end of the day it doesn't matter if it's keto, paleo, vegan, vegetarian, ketovore, low carb, etc.. the point of the matter is you get rid of ultra process man-made food in a box. You eat the way them Bible says... seed bearing fruit, vegetables, and meat. Water, olive/avocado oil, and some salt. 

I learned how my food is made. I rather just eat the cleanest and closest to the Bible as possible. Nothing is at all perfect in Satan's world but you can control your fork to a great extent. 

Know the ingredient lists on the back are highly important but know they make food to keep you addicted and buying. For example if Ramen says "NO MSG" look at the ingredients for Disodium Inosinate, Disodium Guanylate, Yeast Extract, or Autolyzed Yeast Extract. Those are man-made forms of MSG alternatives to keep you guying and eating. As a tip, MSG is in almost everything. It's mostly derived from corn these days but it man-made and highly processed. So theres MSG that Jehovah put in food and MSG that's man-made.

If you doctor is pushing "ANY" pills on you especially Ozempic or Wegovy visit: https://openpaymentsdata.cms.gov/ to see what payments they receive as a result. I've found that some doctors especially endocrinologist make a lot of money from Novo Nordisk aka the people who make Ozempic or semiglutides. They push and push and push. Doctors don't like patients like me that are informed and privy to their tactics now.

Friends see the attached image. Jehovah gave us a wonderful body albeit imperfect right now that we need to use as a sacrifice like King David. We need to feed it 110 Octane and not this 50 Octane in the center aisles of the store. We're all being played. Eat what's millennia's old and not 100 years old. My service and sacrifice to Jehovah has only improved eating this way. The hills in service I was to large to go up, I can go up with confidence.

A 2023 Study Watchtower said, "if the food you love hurts you. Common sense tells you not to eat it." Bad blood work, overweight, missing events for doctors visits and sickness, etc., is hurting you. If your family is full of alcoholics why join in to be another one if its "hereditary". Same with food. Take your food off the accelerator. 

Behind-the-brands-illusion-of-choice-graphic-2048x1351.jpg

Edited by chuck83

Typo & addition.

Favorite Scriptures: Revelation 14:7 and Psalm 34:18 | Lost over 100 lbs following a whole food diet. 
¡Estoy aprendo español con Duolingo! | Lover of Ragdoll cats ❤️ Sammy & Toby

56 minutes ago, chuck83 said:

At the end of the day it doesn't matter if it's keto, paleo, vegan, vegetarian, ketovore, low carb, etc.. the point of the matter is you get rid of ultra process man-made food in a box.

Keep doing what you are doing 😉

I completely agree with your assessment here. I have gone from 225 to 175 in the last 8 months and improved most of my blood markers. I am stage 4 CKD so I do have some issues that come from spilling things I shouldn't, and failing to filter out things that I should. But if it wasn't for my CKD everything would be pristine.

Your blood work looks pristine to me. Your cholesterol and HDL levels are just fine, and in fact in the sweet spot right where you want them. 

I've been doing mainly a carnivore diet. However, I am by no means averse to select fruits and vegetables.

I have a website about healthy low carb eating, nutrition, and weight loss. Come join CarnivoreTalk.com and learn more!

1 hour ago, Brother_Bliss said:

Keep doing what you are doing 😉

I completely agree with your assessment here. I have gone from 225 to 175 in the last 8 months and improved most of my blood markers. I am stage 4 CKD so I do have some issues that come from spilling things I shouldn't, and failing to filter out things that I should. But if it wasn't for my CKD everything would be pristine.

Your blood work looks pristine to me. Your cholesterol and HDL levels are just fine, and in fact in the sweet spot right where you want them. 

I've been doing mainly a carnivore diet. However, I am by no means averse to select fruits and vegetables.

Thank you. I appreciate it.

I'm going to join that link I see below in your signature too. The wife and I transition to carnivore couple times a year to help with ketosis and staying in it. 

Favorite Scriptures: Revelation 14:7 and Psalm 34:18 | Lost over 100 lbs following a whole food diet. 
¡Estoy aprendo español con Duolingo! | Lover of Ragdoll cats ❤️ Sammy & Toby