JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Losing weight

1 minute ago, sis little said:

Ok, so I get off at 6:00am and my first meal is around 1 or 2pm. Let’s say, my first meal is 2:00pm and last one should be around 10:00pm right, now after 10 I can only have like broth and water correct? 

Think about it from the opposite way: When do you go to bed?

I'll work with you step by step with this one...

Just now, sis little said:

Around 9:00 or 10:00 

I assume "A.M.", in the morning, right?

So you should stop eating by 6am or 7am.

Have a nice restful sleep.

And then you can start eating at 10pm or 11pm, depending on when you stopped.  If you have trouble making it to that time, that is where chicken broth lightly salted or a good tea (caffeine free preferred) would come in.

1 minute ago, computerwiz said:

I assume "A.M.", in the morning, right?

So you should stop eating by 6am or 7am.

Have a nice restful sleep.

And then you can start eating at 10pm or 11pm, depending on when you stopped.  If you have trouble making it to that time, that is where chicken broth lightly salted or a good tea (caffeine free preferred) would come in.

Yes, that’s correct, A.M., ok I think I have it, just flip the time. 11:00pm to 7:00am is my morning and I can have at least 2 meals and a protein shake and stock up on bone broth, thanks my brother. I am open to recipe ideas, shake recipes just something different.

AGAPE 

12 minutes ago, sis little said:

Yes, that’s correct, A.M., ok I think I have it, just flip the time. 11:00pm to 7:00am is my morning and I can have at least 2 meals and a protein shake and stock up on bone broth, thanks my brother. I am open to recipe ideas, shake recipes just something different.

AGAPE 

You got it!

The bone broth is just temporary until you get used to it.  Eventually it will be 2nd nature to you and you won't need anything to assist.  It will come in handy again if you fast for longer than 16 hours.

Beyond 24 hours, you need to do careful research on the subject.  There's a problem called "refeeding syndrome" when you go too long without food.

As far as recipe ideas, the simpler the better.  Choose "real" foods, not packaged/processed junk.  You should be able to read & understand every single ingredient.  If you can't pronounce or understand what an ingredient is, reject it.  Hint: Boiling food is quick & easy to have whole, natural foods.  I know brussels sprouts, onions, mushrooms, and corn boil very well.  I'm about to experiment with other veggies and see what all I can do easily like that.  Also, cucumbers (not boiled) are quick & easy & filling snacks.

Make diet changes that are easy, otherwise they won't stick.  :wink:

PS - Just use filtered water when boiling.  If you saw the chemicals in tap water....you'd faint.  It's really really bad.  And chemicals in our food/water contribute to weight gain.  But that's a whole 'nother story...

Edited by computerwiz

Added the PS

1 hour ago, computerwiz said:

Let's say I go to bed at 10pm.  I stop eating at 7pm.  Then I eat lunch at my normal time of 12pm the next day.

It's easy to skip breakfast if you stop eating 3 hours before bedtime.  It's the perfect timing if you're trying to skip the hunger pains in the morning, and also heartburn while you're trying to sleep.

I might add, breakfast is one of the most important meals of the day.

I do IF and my eating window is 10am-6pm. I noticed that (after first week adjustment) I’m not hungry for the remaining time if I eat vegetables, they make you stomach full and give energy for a long period of time. Good meat works in a similar way. On the other hand if I eat simple carbs (sweets, pasta, fruit, sodas) I feel hunger early in the morning and it’s difficult to “endure” until 10am :)

Regarding breakfast, it’s good to look at this from a historic (preindustrial) perspective. 

I found this:

Historian Ian Mortimer suggests the Tudors invented modern breakfasts in the 16th century as a side-effect of inventing the concept of employment. As people increasingly came to work for an employer, rather than working for themselves on their own land, they lost control of their time, and had to work long, uninterrupted days without sustenance. A big breakfast allowed them to work longer days. The Industrial Revolution and the move from farms to factories formalized the idea of breakfast further, and now it's normal for everyone to eat breakfast before going to work. If we hadn't invented the 9-to-5, we might never have invented breakfast.

Read More: https://www.mashed.com/66838/secret-history-breakfast/

As well as this:

https://www.indiatimes.com/lifestyle/a-brief-history-of-breakfast-why-you-should-skip-it-370307.html

🙏 Thank you! 🙏

Sis you can have a plant based protien drink before bed.  Its filling and stops any craving.

The culprit of gaining weight is "bread" and "sugar".

Coconut sugar is good and appealing.  I use it in my coffee (black).  Delicious.

If you like pies (like I do) in your supermarket in the pastry aisle in the freezer they have pies that are frozen sugar free with no preservatives and gluten free.  You can't tell the difference.  Put it in the freezer until you are ready to have a slice then put it in refrigerator.

Walk is good but, you don't have to kill yourself.  Just walk around the house or around the block you will start to see the weight come down.  No alcoholic beverages.  (full of sugar)  Eat for nourishment reasons!

On 12/7/2022 at 11:08 AM, cme said:

Br. Randall, I trained my husband to have 1 meal a day.  That could be a good breakfast or, maybe a good lunch.  We do not eat past 4 pm.  I will make desserts that are healthy for him because, he's a snacker.   I don't buy him any munchies.  However, there are times I will do wings for him if its football season or, fix him a veggie platter with dipping.  (homemade)

However, I must say he got used to the mediterranean way of eating.  He's 6 feet and weighs 200 sometimes 199.  But, if he loses to much weight he looks sickly.  I feed him alot of fish as well.  Definitely stay away from beef!  I will do veal instead.  Chicken also.

Walking is a must.  Why do you think Jehovah made the Isrealites walk?   Kept them lean and strong boned.  In all actuality, we don't need so much food. Just food to nourish.  Thats it.

The problem is my wife wants to be on an eating marathon.  She wants to cook 3 meals a day and then gets offended if I don't eat.  She tells me there are tomatoes in the fridge that are getting old and that I should have put them on a sandwich.  I ask her when I was supposed to put them on a sandwich when she is constantly cooking.  I have constantly asked her to try to cut down to 2 meals a day, but she won't.

While visiting my son and daughter-in-law, they wanted to take us out for a late breakfast.  I didn't eat anything until 11:00.  We went to the Flying Biscuit.  I ordered their breakfast.  It was a large breakfast which had 2 eggs (scrambled), French toast, Creamy Grits (very good), bacon and sausage.  I wasn't hungry the rest of the day.  That was my only meal of the day.

When we came home, I thought I would recreate that breakfast.  I looked up a recipe for creamy grits since I knew how to fix everything else.  I normally cook breakfast every day at our house, and she cooks the other meals.  I wanted to eat the breakfast late like I did that day at the Flying Biscuit, but if I don't go ahead and cook breakfast, she will get up at about 8 o'clock and cook something and we will be on the eating marathon again.

On 5/19/2023 at 5:14 PM, computerwiz said:

I agree with most of this.  I learned a long time ago that, if I eat breakfast, I am very hungry shortly afterward.  The one thing I don't agree with is the part about the brain getting ketones.  What I have always heard (and it may not be true) is that your brain only uses glucose.  When your body goes into a fat-burning mode (either because of a low-carb diet or because of exercise), ketones are produced.  Glucose is used by the brain because the brain can use only glucose.  The ketones are used by the muscles in place of glucose.  I am not able to prove this, but it has always seemed reasonable to me.  I could, of course, be wrong.

On 5/19/2023 at 5:01 PM, Dustparticle said:

I might add, breakfast is one of the most important meals of the day.

Breakfast might be an important meal, but what time you break the fast is different.  It works better for me if I eat my break fast meal about noon.

On 5/21/2023 at 6:39 AM, Witness1970 said:

The one thing I don't agree with is the part about the brain getting ketones.

The very basis of the ketogenic diet 100 years ago was for treating epilepsy. When you remove excess glucose from the blood and brain, allowing the body to only make the small amount that a few processes need and use ketones to fuel the rest, it prevents the nerves from misfiring and allows them to heal.

On 5/21/2023 at 6:39 AM, Witness1970 said:

Glucose is used by the brain because the brain can use only glucose.

This is somewhat untrue. I recommend you do some research on gluconeogenesis and how that process actually functions in the body. Bunch of references here.

9 minutes ago, Myew said:

The very basis of the ketogenic diet 100 years ago was for treating epilepsy. When you remove excess glucose from the blood and brain, allowing the body to only make the small amount that a few processes need and use ketones to fuel the rest, it prevents the nerves from misfiring and allows them to heal.

This is somewhat untrue. I recommend you do some research on gluconeogenesis and how that process actually functions in the body. Bunch of references here.

Everyone seems to have different ideas.  The first video stated that fat-burning adds glucose back to the body.  Everything I have ever read says that fat-burning produces ketones instead of glucose.  I didn't finish either video, because I have too much to do to sit and watch 10-minute videos right now.  I'll have to try and find time later to watch them.  He did say that eating protein spikes blood sugar.  Everything else I read says that protein stabilizes blood sugar.

Again, maybe I can find time later to watch those videos.

On 8/23/2022 at 11:00 AM, coony77 said:

What worked for me was reducing carbohydrates, eating healhier (more vegetables/salad, etc.) in combination with excercising regularly. It helped me lose 6 kilogramms (13 pounds for you on the other side of the pond) when I started it in 2018 - and the amazing thing is that since then I have maintained my achieved weight (something that never used to work in the past). I stick to my "low carb diet" 🥑🍇🥩🐟as best I can from Mondays to Fridays and eat whatever I feel like on the weekend as a reward 🍕🍔🥘🍿

I basically am doing this also. In 2019 my husband and I did the ketogenic diet.  We were prepping for the International Convention in Copenhagen.  We lost quite a bit and then Covid.  I'm trying to get back on track now.

Dance. Even if there's no music. 

Dance Dancing GIF by binibambini

8 minutes ago, Witness1970 said:

Everyone seems to have different ideas.

He did say that eating protein spikes blood sugar.  Everything else I read says that protein stabilizes blood sugar.

Perspective is everything.  The more you research & dig & think on science/health matters, you'll see how you can't just accept what someone says at face value.  Just like our study of the scriptures, we have to dig deep & put it all together in our own head.

It is also why I love ChatGPT.  It's so easy to pull facts apart and either make them make sense, or determine that they were wrong.

image.png.3ff6dc58b2cd6a5c305e81ccc60a185e.png

And so both what he said & what you've read previously can BOTH be true.  🤯

19 minutes ago, Witness1970 said:

Everyone seems to have different ideas.  The first video stated that fat-burning adds glucose back to the body.  Everything I have ever read says that fat-burning produces ketones instead of glucose.  I didn't finish either video, because I have too much to do to sit and watch 10-minute videos right now.  I'll have to try and find time later to watch them.  He did say that eating protein spikes blood sugar.  Everything else I read says that protein stabilizes blood sugar.

Again, maybe I can find time later to watch those videos.

I mean no offense, but this is incorrect. You seem to have missed the point by not listening to the whole context and counterpoints. In the first one Dr Fung explains why, in certain circumstances, blood glucose can go up even when you're not eating glucose, at least until after you exhaust your body's stores of excess glucose. Hormones and counter hormones. He mentions gluconeogenesis and goes on to explain studies showing that when one is fasting, you can have what is considered extremely low blood sugar and be completely healthy. It's important to understand this context for why it is okay to not have to consume glucose for our brain. Dr Berry starts off using sarcasm to illustrate what people have heard, and explains why eating excess proteins and fat will not automatically or be forced to convert into glucose. It is based on the body's demand, and again, our hormones. They're not actually stating different ideas from what you have read. They are explaining how the physiology of the body works in whole. Yes, it does take a lot of time to learn how it works and understand it. It also takes time for our bodies to build the cellular machinery to adapt to these processes efficiently if we have been eating poorly for years and are metabolically unhealthy. Yet we can benefit from doing so if it allows us to improve our health in order to serve Jehovah better.

Edited by Myew

I've been on strict calorie reduction and strict  keto since October of 22. When going to my doctor, after being so strict for 6 weeks, I gained a pound! So I asked her how could that possibly be. She said even though I am not diabetic nor pre diabetic I am insulin resistant. Which means my body does not want to lose weight. I have lost some but considering that I live on 500 to 800 calories a day and 11 carbohydrates I should be a stick! 

So doing some research in insulin resistance it seems that magnesium taurate and citrate help  with this issue so I've gone back on my magnesium. I sure hope it helps.

Edited by bagwell1987

Safeguard Your Heart for " Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks" Matthew 12:34

1 minute ago, bagwell1987 said:

I've been on strict calorie reduction and strict  keto since October of 22. When going to my doctor, after being so strict for 6 weeks, I gained a pound! So I asked her how could that possibly be. She said even though I am not diabetic nor pre diabetic I am insulin resistant. Which means my body does not want to lose weight. I have lost some but considering that I live on 500 to 800 calories a day and 11 carbohydrates I should be a stick! 

So doing some research in insulin resistance it seems that magnesium taurine and citrate help  with this issue so I've gone back on my magnesium. I sure hope it helps.

You're living proof that it's not as simple as calories in/calories out.  :eek:

I wonder if doing detox treatments would help in your case.  I personally lost 20 pounds and I didn't change a thing about my diet or exercise.  In fact, my wife would tell you I ate worse!!  :tongue:

Please keep me updated....medicine & science fascinate me so much.  If the magnesium, taurine, and citrate don't help, I'd like to recommend a detox system to you.  But if it does help, then I want to add those supplements to my bag of knowledge.  :thumbsup:

6 minutes ago, bagwell1987 said:

but considering that I live on 500 to 800 calories a day and 11 carbohydrates I should be a stick! 

You might want to up your caloric intake, and find out how many calories your body needs at metabolic resting heart rate. Otherwise your hormones will start rebelling and your metabolism will slow down.

Edited by Amygdala

- Read the Bible daily 

The chariot is moving ❤️‍🔥

Ps.86:11

Just now, Amygdala said:

You might want to up your caloric intake, and find out how many calories your body needs at metabolic resting heart rate. Otherwise your hormones will start rebelling and your metabolism and slow down.

Ah yes, that's true too.  The "survival mode" of your body kicks in when on severely restricted calories.  Fasting is a better idea than severe calorie restriction.  The body responds VERY differently.

49 minutes ago, Amygdala said:

You might want to up your caloric intake, and find out how many calories your body needs at metabolic resting heart rate. Otherwise your hormones will start rebelling and your metabolism will slow down.

To reiterate this: https://betterhumans.pub/why-caloric-restriction-fails-9dc18fe9cf23

Lowering your calorie intake lowers your metabolism. You want to *speed up* your metabolism. You're telling your body that nutrition and food is scarce, so pump up the insulin and store as much as you possibly can so you can survive during the period there is no food. You need to supply your body with ample food and high quality nutrition. The more fat you eat and the less carbohydrates you eat, the easier it is to burn the fat you have stored. Fasting is required to allowing the energy to be moved out of storage without lowering your metabolism.

Edited by Myew