JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Losing weight

On 5/19/2023 at 1:25 PM, computerwiz said:

You got it!

The bone broth is just temporary until you get used to it.  Eventually it will be 2nd nature to you and you won't need anything to assist.  It will come in handy again if you fast for longer than 16 hours.

Beyond 24 hours, you need to do careful research on the subject.  There's a problem called "refeeding syndrome" when you go too long without food.

As far as recipe ideas, the simpler the better.  Choose "real" foods, not packaged/processed junk.  You should be able to read & understand every single ingredient.  If you can't pronounce or understand what an ingredient is, reject it.  Hint: Boiling food is quick & easy to have whole, natural foods.  I know brussels sprouts, onions, mushrooms, and corn boil very well.  I'm about to experiment with other veggies and see what all I can do easily like that.  Also, cucumbers (not boiled) are quick & easy & filling snacks.

Make diet changes that are easy, otherwise they won't stick.  :wink:

PS - Just use filtered water when boiling.  If you saw the chemicals in tap water....you'd faint.  It's really really bad.  And chemicals in our food/water contribute to weight gain.  But that's a whole 'nother story...

I'm really hooked on IF, I mostly do 18/6 but occasionally end up doing a 24. After getting fat adapted it got easy and now I have to remember to eat. I guess that's why I'm at such a low calorie intake. That and my eating is basically 1 filling meal then 1 light something like chicken or shrimp in a fluffy green lettuce leaf. Some low carb people center much of their eating on cheese! Cheese is NOT low calorie, I call such foods "too expensive". 1 oz is 114 calories and 1 carb. But weigh 1 oz of cheese unless it's on a sandwich you can easily load up on 3 or 4 oz. before you know it, that's 457 calorie and 4 carbs!

Another thing that people over 40 don't think about is dehydration. We don't absorb our water like we used to so electrolytes need to be added, the drops not the sugary sports drinks. 

After reading the comments here I decided to go up to 1,000 calories and 15 carbs. If you folks aren't familiar with the Carb Manager App check it out. It's helped me discover what's "too expensive " or what I can eat more of, I've used it for 2 or 3 years.

Safeguard Your Heart for " Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks" Matthew 12:34

• 2 months later...
On 5/22/2023 at 11:10 AM, bagwell1987 said:

I've been on strict calorie reduction and strict  keto since October of 22. When going to my doctor, after being so strict for 6 weeks, I gained a pound! So I asked her how could that possibly be. She said even though I am not diabetic nor pre diabetic I am insulin resistant. Which means my body does not want to lose weight. I have lost some but considering that I live on 500 to 800 calories a day and 11 carbohydrates I should be a stick! 

So doing some research in insulin resistance it seems that magnesium taurate and citrate help  with this issue so I've gone back on my magnesium. I sure hope it helps.

Sis, that sounds like adrenal and/or thyroid issues.  Have you seen an endocrinologist? 

Just now, Qapla said:

Does insulin resistance show up in blood tests?

If they check for it.  Dr. Kevin said they normally don't.  In fact, I just looked at my last test before him (2021) and sure enough, it's not on there.  But in my bloodwork with Dr. Kevin (2022), he checked my insulin.  He wants to see everything.

It's something you have to ask for (or get yourself).  Same with auto-immune stuffs.  There's over 188 different AI disorders, but they only test regularly for 2.  More tests = more money, of course.  So most doctors just get the basics.

On 5/22/2023 at 11:10 AM, bagwell1987 said:

I've been on strict calorie reduction and strict  keto since October of 22. When going to my doctor, after being so strict for 6 weeks, I gained a pound! So I asked her how could that possibly be. She said even though I am not diabetic nor pre diabetic I am insulin resistant. Which means my body does not want to lose weight. I have lost some but considering that I live on 500 to 800 calories a day and 11 carbohydrates I should be a stick! 

So doing some research in insulin resistance it seems that magnesium taurate and citrate help  with this issue so I've gone back on my magnesium. I sure hope it helps.

Both the Atkins diet and the South Beach Diet started out on a very restrictive eating plan at first.  Their stated purpose was to get rid of insulin resistance.  I did Atkins 30 years ago and lost a pound a day when I fixed my own meals according to the plan.  I don't do the Atkins diet now because my wife does not tolerate that diet very well.

We have to also keep in mind to maintain whole body fluid homeostasis, we need a certain amount of minerals and vitamins from our everyday foods. Or we can impede hormone, enzyme, electrolyte and metabolic functions, and importantly miss reabsorption of vital nutrients.

Remember foods are there to nourish, and are not the enemy…maybe except processed or junk foods.

Edited by Amygdala

- Read the Bible daily 

The chariot is moving ❤️‍🔥

Ps.86:11

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/25/2023 at 12:52 PM, Qapla said:

Does insulin resistance show up in blood tests?

Not directly. But running a few tests and comparing your symptoms can help determine if you are or you are not. 

On 7/25/2023 at 10:55 PM, Myew said:

A high calorie, zero carb diet is the fastest and simplest way to reverse hyperinsulinemia.

This is the truth! I've been doing this since I broke my ankle in May. I lost weight while mostly confined to my recliner. It was great!

On 7/26/2023 at 6:40 AM, Witness1970 said:

Both the Atkins diet and the South Beach Diet started out on a very restrictive eating plan at first.  Their stated purpose was to get rid of insulin resistance.  I did Atkins 30 years ago and lost a pound a day when I fixed my own meals according to the plan.  I don't do the Atkins diet now because my wife does not tolerate that diet very well.

She could if she worked at it. The first few weeks you have to resist cravings and you experience withdrawal symptoms and it can be very tough. But once your over the hump it's smooth sailing from there.

Atkins for Life, the final phase of his plan, is basically a whole foods diet: meat, dairy, low carb veggies, easy on the fruit, and an occasional starchy root vegetable. I used to call it the "Jehovah Diet" at that point, meaning that most of the food should have gone from farm to table and either bypassed the factory completely or only had minimal processing.

I have a website about healthy low carb eating, nutrition, and weight loss. Come join CarnivoreTalk.com and learn more!

I read Dr. Atkins New Diet Revolution in the '90s, applied it, and lost weight with ease. I was a believer in low carb ever since. I've admittedly been a yo-yo dieter, going on and coming off the plan, swinging back and forth between 180 and 230 like a pendulum.

Now I am in my upper 40's and have some chronic conditions and have given more serious thought to my weight and what I put in my mouth. So, I started low carb again in March. But "low carb" today has been tainted by manufacturers who make all these processed foods and make up low "net carb" counts using mathematical trickery. In April I decided to go from "dirty keto" to REAL Keto and vowed to never eat sugarcane or grains again. After 6 weeks of just meat and vegetables I was losing weight and feeling fantastic.

On May 12 I broke my ankle, and knew I was going to be sedentary for the next couple months. So, on that day I decided to go fully zero carb, carnivore and practice intermittent fasting 16-8. I would eat and noon and again no later than 8pm. During those 2 months, I lost 10 more pounds.

I've reversed several conditions and feel fantastic. I've done tons of research into carnivore and keto diets, and I mean True Keto, not the fake dirty keto that is popular today with its attempt to copy desserts using fiber fillers and sugar alcohols. The only thing that goes in my mouth now comes from the Creator above, save for cheese and butter and my diet coke addiction I still struggle to break. I've gone from 225 to 190 so far.

Anyway, I am fully obsessed with health and nutrition that has its basis in keto and animal-based foods that I am trying to jumpstart my own forum community, much like this one, but centered around these topics and would love it if you would join and help get it rolling.

https://carnivoretalk.com 

(I may change this to something containing more trendy keywords like "keto" or "low carb" if I determine this sounds like it's too narrow of a niche).

I have a website about healthy low carb eating, nutrition, and weight loss. Come join CarnivoreTalk.com and learn more!

• 1 month later...

What works for me is to eat as healthy as I can. If we can do that our bodies will take care of itself and our weight. I typically eat one meal a day, sometimes two small ones. Avoiding junk food and especially, sugar.

This morning I weighed 100 lbs and feel fine.

One small crack doesn't mean you are broken; it means that you were put to the test and didn't fall apart..

On 9/28/2023 at 7:51 AM, ChrisW said:

I broke my foot.

I can relateTry your best. I had a scooter that was able to use to get around. With it I was still able to cook eggs and grill steaks. But if I had to depend on crutches it probably would have been too difficult and I would have fell back on convenience food.

This is just a small blip on the radar. You can recover :)

1 hour ago, ChrisW said:

Im having a hard time eating the way I want/should.

One thing you can easily do (assuming you don't have diabetes) is skip breakfast.  As long as your last meal is 3 hours before bedtime, it should be easy because your hungriest period will be while you're sleeping.

Additionally, intermittent fasting like that should speed up your recovery.  The body heals faster when its not busy worrying about digestion and all the pathogens that arrive with food.

And then as @Brother_Bliss said, you can get back on track once you're better.  No worries!

On 9/28/2023 at 9:28 AM, computerwiz said:

Additionally, intermittent fasting like that should speed up your recovery.

I did this too when I broke my ankle. I would eat at noon and again at 7pm. This is also when I went straight carnivore, as the fat and protein could satiate me for hours and hours. Between the fasting and the high protein, my bone healed in 6 weeks.

41 minutes ago, Brother_Bliss said:

I did this too when I broke my ankle. I would eat at noon and again at 7pm. This is also when I went straight carnivore, as the fat and protein could satiate me for hours and hours. Between the fasting and the high protein, my bone healed in 6 weeks.

I really need to try the carnivore diet out.  Probably after my November cruise though.  Gonna be hard to pass up all the yummy dishes they got.  :whistling:

On 9/28/2023 at 8:28 AM, computerwiz said:

One thing you can easily do (assuming you don't have diabetes) is skip breakfast.  As long as your last meal is 3 hours before bedtime, it should be easy because your hungriest period will be while you're sleeping.

Additionally, intermittent fasting like that should speed up your recovery.  The body heals faster when its not busy worrying about digestion and all the pathogens that arrive with food.

And then as @Brother_Bliss said, you can get back on track once you're better.  No worries!

Yes. I'm still doing Intermittent fasting. Usually some zero sugar yogurt around 2 is my first meal. Than dinner around 5:30/6. 🙂

Dance. Even if there's no music. 

Dance Dancing GIF by binibambini

On 5/22/2023 at 8:10 AM, bagwell1987 said:

Welllll, I stayed on that program until, in frustration, in August '23 I decided to just monitor my intake and do intermittent fasting. So since August I've had better results. I eat once a day and have one low carb snack. I do 18 to 20 hours fasting daily. Lately I've been eating rice and veg and chicken or homemade eggroll . Simple but tasty. And I measure or weigh everything. Ya, sounds compulsive 😄 but I like the accountability of what I consume. And like I said  and some agree, IF works well if you can do it. 

I work with someone who has low blood sugar, she's all of 95 pounds dripping wet, and she's constantly eating. Drives me crazy but she needs to eat. I eat very little and could gain weight if I deviated from my plan 🙄.

Imperfection is so unfair.

Safeguard Your Heart for " Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks" Matthew 12:34

12 minutes ago, bagwell1987 said:

Welllll, I stayed on that program until, in frustration, in August '23 I decided to just monitor my intake and do intermittent fasting. So since August I've had better results. I eat once a day and have one low carb snack. I do 18 to 20 hours fasting daily. Lately I've been eating rice and veg and chicken or homemade eggroll . Simple but tasty. And I measure or weigh everything. Ya, sounds compulsive 😄 but I like the accountability of what I consume. And like I said  and some agree, IF works well if you can do it. 

I work with someone who has low blood sugar, she's all of 95 pounds dripping wet, and she's constantly eating. Drives me crazy but she needs to eat. I eat very little and could gain weight if I deviated from my plan 🙄.

Imperfection is so unfair.

What kind of foods does she eat?

Because I can say the same for myself....easy to gain weight. But on our last cruise I LOST 2 pounds. I ate a lot, but avoided bread & sweets (most of the time). Lots of meats & veggies. Really was shocked to see a loss considering I usually had 2.5 plates full... 

4 minutes ago, computerwiz said:

What kind of foods does she eat?

Because I can say the same for myself....easy to gain weight. But on our last cruise I LOST 2 pounds. I ate a lot, but avoided bread & sweets (most of the time). Lots of meats & veggies. Really was shocked to see a loss considering I usually had 2.5 plates full... 

Awwwww, I'm jealous. I ate that way for almost 2 years and had NO results.

My friend will bring a rice cake with almond butter or a couple Kind bars. And we're only gone 2 hours! 

My doctor said my body thinks it's starving when I did low carb/low cal so now I don't count carbs. And because I can't get Ozempic I researched and found Berbercol, which shows promise in helping insulin resistance. I just started yesterday and am going to give it 6 months before making any decisions or getting another blood test. I've also started Seed, probiotic/prebiotic. So this is another semi-long term experiment for me. 

10 minutes ago, bagwell1987 said:

Awwwww, I'm jealous. I ate that way for almost 2 years and had NO results.

My friend will bring a rice cake with almond butter or a couple Kind bars. And we're only gone 2 hours! 

My doctor said my body thinks it's starving when I did low carb/low cal so now I don't count carbs. And because I can't get Ozempic I researched and found Berbercol, which shows promise in helping insulin resistance. I just started yesterday and am going to give it 6 months before making any decisions or getting another blood test. I've also started Seed, probiotic/prebiotic. So this is another semi-long term experiment for me. 

You might also benefit from a detox program. The ionic foot baths work! When I was getting treated by Dr. Kevin, I lost 20 pounds without changing a thing. My wife would even tell you I ate worse. 😅

Since I'm done with him, I gained 10 back. But I'm about to make some serious changes. I like experimenting a lot, and I'm convinced that's the main problem. Toxins in the body. That's why some people can do the right diet and have no results. There's 2 pieces to the puzzle!!! 

I've never had an issue with weight thanks to my family genetics. That being said, my wife struggles with weight. We just signed up for a health program that our insurance covers. While I don't need to lose weight, I could eat better. And more than anything else I want to support my best friend, sidekick and wife. 

“Don't judge me on my past, I don't live there anymore.”