JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Losing weight

What methods have worked for you?

I’m currently trying an intermittent fasting.(16-8) No eating after 4 pm.

(this was when dinner was served when I was in prison so I remember waking up from sleep out of hunger and losing weight) 

target weight loss is at least 10kgs.

For me it's like this:

1)TDEE: Total Energy Expenditure
Simply put, it is the amount of energy your body needs every day, and it varies from person to person.
Suppose you need 1200 calories/calories per day to carry out daily activities, if you take in more than 1200 calories but do not do exercise to burn fat, weight will increase; on the contrary, if your calorie intake is less than 1200, weight will be reduced.

2) IF: Intermittent Fasting
This type of fasting method emphasizes 16:8, that is, 16 hours of fasting and 8 hours of eating time in a day.
Each person's work schedule is different, so you can choose your own eating time that suits you, such as 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., 10 a.m. to 6 p.m., 11 a.m. to 7 p.m.,
Of course, since you choose to lose weight, diet should try to less salt, less sugar and less oil, to slowly develop healthy eating habits 
Also, adults should sleep at least 6 to 8 hours a day, to know that enough sleep time can more effectively help the body burn fat

3)Try to gain some muscle

When your muscle mass goes up, your body's metabolism rate will follow, and your body's calorie needs will follow. You can naturally eat more and it's harder to gain weight back.

So far I have only found these methods to be effective:lol1:

• 3 weeks later...

what she said yes GIF by TipsyElves.com

But also, a calorie <> a calorie.  100 calories from a couple of apples is way better than 100 calories from Coke.  Recognize that healthier options do matter.

image.png

I removed "lean", because we need fat for proper brain function.  Also helps us to feel fuller longer.  And if your food has fat, it is less likely to have sugar or other junk to help with the taste.

Last but not least, stress matters, since it rises cortisol levels (fat storing hormone).  Work hard to simplify your life and de-stress.  Also, surprising sources of stress can be sleep apnea.  If you stop breathing at night, you better believe that's a very stressful event on your whole system.  You can be doing everything perfectly right, but if you have sleep apnea, you will have trouble losing weight.

7 hours ago, computerwiz said:

what she said yes GIF by TipsyElves.com

But also, a calorie <> a calorie.  100 calories from a couple of apples is way better than 100 calories from Coke.  Recognize that healthier options do matter.

image.png

I removed "lean", because we need fat for proper brain function.  Also helps us to feel fuller longer.  And if your food has fat, it is less likely to have sugar or other junk to help with the taste.

Last but not least, stress matters, since it rises cortisol levels (fat storing hormone).  Work hard to simplify your life and de-stress.  Also, surprising sources of stress can be sleep apnea.  If you stop breathing at night, you better believe that's a very stressful event on your whole system.  You can be doing everything perfectly right, but if you have sleep apnea, you will have trouble losing weight.

I think Subway sandwiches is a good option.. an easy one too! 

I didn’t loose a bunch of weight but what helped me was replacing soda with water/sparkling water, and make a habit of walking. I was around 193 or so and lost weight and weighs around 165 or so, I was overweight and then I was about normal weight. I felt great. 

I was and still am addicted to soda and would probably drink a can of soda a day so I lost weight automatically from cutting off the soda, I would still have some on occasion but not as much, and the Le crux sparking waters helped a lot with the carbonation cravings; I continue to buy them frequently. 

I can’t drive (due to my Autism/Slow reflexes) and I would usually ask for rides all the time. But I downloaded a basic pedometer on my phone and got obsessed with tracking my steps, I would walk everyday for 10,000 steps/ 1 or so walking a day. I had like a 60 something day streak too. 

However I have slipped since Covid, I gained a lot of weight back, I drank more soda, ate worse, exercised less. But I haven’t gotten back to my highest weight and have been maintaining a consistent weight at least. I still try to walk to work when I can (50 minute walk/5,000 steps), I try not to drink so much soda, and I buy organic stuff if I can. I really do want to go back to the 160’s again, it is just so hard when you like bad foods, and bad genetics (barely produce growth hormone) like me, but I know I did it before, and I just need the motivation to do it again.

• 3 months later...

What worked for me was reducing carbohydrates, eating healhier (more vegetables/salad, etc.) in combination with excercising regularly. It helped me lose 6 kilogramms (13 pounds for you on the other side of the pond) when I started it in 2018 - and the amazing thing is that since then I have maintained my achieved weight (something that never used to work in the past). I stick to my "low carb diet" 🥑🍇🥩🐟as best I can from Mondays to Fridays and eat whatever I feel like on the weekend as a reward 🍕🍔🥘🍿

Chrissy :wave:

• 3 months later...

Bone Broth!  Get it from a health food store.  Chicken Bone Broth is doing wonders.  Substitute lunch for a cup of Bone Broth.  Slow down on sugar, bread, pasta.

Its been said that one should eat for nutrition reasons.  If you are not hungry then simply don't eat.

I did a low-carb diet years ago.  My wife and I were working different schedules with different off days, so I was able to fix my own meals.  It worked great. I lost a pound a day every day I was on it.

Unfortunately there were days that my wife was in control of the meals.  One day, I was working out in the yard and I told my wife I needed to fix my lunch and get ready for work.  She said she would fix something for me.  I commented that it needed to fit my diet and she promised it would.  I finally came in and found that she had a plate of turnip grteens and a Pepsi waiting for me.  There wasn'' enough time to fix what I needed to eat, nor did I have time to get something on the way to work.  I ate the turnip greens and drank the Pepsi.

That's how it went for months.  Any time she had control of the meals, I would be off my diet.  With Atkins, any time you were off the diet, you just about had to start over. 

I managed to lose about 40 pounds anyway.  Our schedules changed.  My wife found that there was no way she culd do Atkins.  Her system would not tolerate the diet.  I knew that I could not do the Atkins diet and share a meal with my wife.  The weight did stay off for a while, but slowly came back.  That was back in the 90's.

We had to do a lot of travelling between 2012 and 2019.  She always wanted to stop at a Pilot travel center which had a Subway.  She wanted to get one footlong sub and split it so we each had a 6" sub.  All that riding and eating like that brought back a lot of weight.

By the time of the pandemic, I had gained back a lot of weight.  In 2020, I was careful about what I ate and lost about 32 pounds.  It didn't stay off.  Whenever we go anywhere now, she always wants to go to Golden Corral or some other Buffet style restaraunt.  Or sometimes she seems to have a desire for fast food, even though she always talks about eating healthy.

Recently she bought 2 "fit" watches for me and her.  It wasn't a "Fitbit", but was a cheaper brand.  I have concretated on walking a lot and getting 12 active hours per day.  I am trying to work my weight back down to where it needs to be.  I guess exercise and watching what I eat will be my present method of losing weight.

Br. Randall, I trained my husband to have 1 meal a day.  That could be a good breakfast or, maybe a good lunch.  We do not eat past 4 pm.  I will make desserts that are healthy for him because, he's a snacker.   I don't buy him any munchies.  However, there are times I will do wings for him if its football season or, fix him a veggie platter with dipping.  (homemade)

However, I must say he got used to the mediterranean way of eating.  He's 6 feet and weighs 200 sometimes 199.  But, if he loses to much weight he looks sickly.  I feed him alot of fish as well.  Definitely stay away from beef!  I will do veal instead.  Chicken also.

Walking is a must.  Why do you think Jehovah made the Isrealites walk?   Kept them lean and strong boned.  In all actuality, we don't need so much food. Just food to nourish.  Thats it.

8 hours ago, cme said:

Br. Randall, I trained my husband to have 1 meal a day.  That could be a good breakfast or, maybe a good lunch.  We do not eat past 4 pm.  I will make desserts that are healthy for him because, he's a snacker.   I don't buy him any munchies.  However, there are times I will do wings for him if its football season or, fix him a veggie platter with dipping.  (homemade)

However, I must say he got used to the mediterranean way of eating.  He's 6 feet and weighs 200 sometimes 199.  But, if he loses to much weight he looks sickly.  I feed him alot of fish as well.  Definitely stay away from beef!  I will do veal instead.  Chicken also.

Walking is a must.  Why do you think Jehovah made the Isrealites walk?   Kept them lean and strong boned.  In all actuality, we don't need so much food. Just food to nourish.  Thats it.

I regularly take brown rice, aronia berry powder, green tea powder, garlic, onion, grapefruit, Chicken breast, perilla oil, curry and tomatoes. (the list has grown over the years)

Hard to cook fish as a single man (smells a lot) though I like uncooked sushi-grade Salmon.

"Walking is a must.  Why do you think Jehovah made the Isrealites walk?   Kept them lean and strong boned.  In all actuality, we don't need so much food. Just food to nourish.  Thats it. "

> I want Manna. 

Edited by Hotteok

so im not a nutritionist or dietician, but ive always been slim and now i workout and have a physically demanding job

I am in quite good shape, much definition (not mass like a pro wrestler or something haha), but very defined now. Before when i was younger i was simply just slim.

What i noticed that really made my muscularity pop and take the excess spots of fat off (not much on me naturally anyways) was a caloric deficit. Meaning simply as others of have, your body burns a certain amount naturally just being alive,,,about 1500 to 2000 a day. So keep your calories below that if possible if you do nothing. If you do exercise you can add calories. I take in about 3000 calories but burn likely around 4000 a day between work and my home gym ( commerical cable crossover machine, free weights, and a commercial eliptical) potentially i burn more per day. The biggest way to keep calories down is water...water water water to not take in sugar. When exercising you HAVE to get your heart rate up (not heart attack levels haha) but you have to put some physical effort in. Someone mysize and cardiovascular ability walking wont cut it as i wont have a raised heart rate from that nor sweat...but if you are 100 pounds overweight and have bad cardio walking WILL help.

Basically work hard and know what is fatiguing to your body, try to eat meat and veggies with no added stuff like butter sugars etc. A good 10 oz steak and steamed zucchini/squash sliced will be a filling meal and only be about 400-500 calories maximum, eat that twice thats 1000 calories and you will be in a caloric deficit naturally...add in exercise and you will burn it faster but remember you will need to add more food to give yourself the energy to do that (your body needs fuel)

Have fun too find joy and dont feel defeated if you dont see results in a months 2 months 3 months. You will on the scale but maybe it doesnt look different. Take before and after pictures and look at them every month and no other days so you can see the small gains in weight loss. Id love to live by you and work out with you bro!!! For men the last places we lose fat is our bellys and necks and they are the first places we gain it too, so while your body goes through its fat reserves on that caloric deficit it will take a while before it gets to the neck fat then it will finally go to the belly so you can have those nice abs hahaha!!!

• 5 months later...
On 4/15/2022 at 4:50 AM, Nedric said:

For me it's like this:

1)TDEE: Total Energy Expenditure
Simply put, it is the amount of energy your body needs every day, and it varies from person to person.
Suppose you need 1200 calories/calories per day to carry out daily activities, if you take in more than 1200 calories but do not do exercise to burn fat, weight will increase; on the contrary, if your calorie intake is less than 1200, weight will be reduced.

2) IF: Intermittent Fasting
This type of fasting method emphasizes 16:8, that is, 16 hours of fasting and 8 hours of eating time in a day.
Each person's work schedule is different, so you can choose your own eating time that suits you, such as 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., 10 a.m. to 6 p.m., 11 a.m. to 7 p.m.,
Of course, since you choose to lose weight, diet should try to less salt, less sugar and less oil, to slowly develop healthy eating habits 
Also, adults should sleep at least 6 to 8 hours a day, to know that enough sleep time can more effectively help the body burn fat

3)Try to gain some muscle

When your muscle mass goes up, your body's metabolism rate will follow, and your body's calorie needs will follow. You can naturally eat more and it's harder to gain weight back.

So far I have only found these methods to be effective:lol1:

I would love to IF but I work 10:00pm to 6:00am, do you have any suggestions.

Just now, sis little said:

I would love to IF but I work 10:00pm to 6:00am, do you have any suggestions.

Don't use normal timeframes that people talk about.  Just start 3 hours before bedtime and skip breakfast.  Eat lunch at your normal time, or 1 hour earlier if you can't make it the whole way.

Also helps if you don't eat too much sugar & carbs.  That makes any kind of fasting very difficult.

2 minutes ago, computerwiz said:

Don't use normal timeframes that people talk about.  Just start 3 hours before bedtime and skip breakfast.  Eat lunch at your normal time, or 1 hour earlier if you can't make it the whole way.

Also helps if you don't eat too much sugar & carbs.  That makes any kind of fasting very difficult.

3 minutes ago, computerwiz said:

Can you please give me an example 

2 minutes ago, .Ivan. said:

Isnt breakfast the most important meal in day?

Says who?  The breakfast companies?  Yeah...that's not a conflict of interest.

Your body heals in a fasted state.  Your blood sugar stabilizes in a fasted state.  You have more human growth hormone released while in a fasted state.  After 24-hours, autophagy is upregulated (defunct/dying cells are better cleaned up).  There's lots of benefits to intermittent fasting & extended fasting from time to time.  We've forgotten how easily we can heal ourselves by giving our body a break from the most intensive task it does on a daily basis: digestion.

4 minutes ago, sis little said:

Can you please give me an example 

Let's say I go to bed at 10pm.  I stop eating at 7pm.  Then I eat lunch at my normal time of 12pm the next day.

It's easy to skip breakfast if you stop eating 3 hours before bedtime.  It's the perfect timing if you're trying to skip the hunger pains in the morning, and also heartburn while you're trying to sleep.

Just now, computerwiz said:

Let's say I go to bed at 10pm.  I stop eating at 7pm.  Then I eat lunch at my normal time of 12pm the next day.

It's easy to skip breakfast if you stop eating 3 hours before bedtime.  It's the perfect timing if you're trying to skip the hunger pains in the morning, and also heartburn while you're trying to sleep.

Ok, so I get off at 6:00am and my first meal is around 1 or 2pm. Let’s say, my first meal is 2:00pm and last one should be around 10:00pm right, now after 10 I can only have like broth and water correct?