JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

First budding of UN Teeth?

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 732 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

The UN General Assembly decided on Tuesday to automatically meet within 10 days, if the veto is used in the Security Council by one of its five permanent members.

China, France, Russia, the United Kingdom and the United States have the power to veto Security Council resolutions, enshrined in the UN Charter – a right accorded to them because of their key roles in establishing the United Nations.

Following the resolution adopted by consensus, any such use will now trigger a General Assembly meeting, where all UN members can scrutinize and comment on the veto.

The resolution comes in the wake of Russia’s use of the veto in the Council, the day after it invaded Ukraine, calling for it’s unconditional withdrawal from the country.

Liechtenstein began work on the initiative to scrutinize the veto more than two years ago, together with a core group of States, said Ambassador Wenaweser, “out of a growing concern” that the Council had found it “increasingly difficult” to carry out its work in accordance with its mandate under the UN Charter, “of which the increase in the use of the veto is but the most obvious expression”.

............ the veto power comes with the responsibility to work to achieve “the purposes and principles of the UN Charter at all times”.

the Liechtenstein Ambassador described it “as an expression of our commitment to multilateralism, with this Organization and its principal organs at the forefront,” adding that “there has never been a stronger need for effective multilateralism than today”.

“And there has never been a stronger need for innovation in order to secure the central role and voice of the United Nations in this respect”.

https://news.un.org/en/story/2022/04/1116982?utm_source=UN+News+-+Newsletter&utm_campaign=89ba621837-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2022_04_26_05_16&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_fdbf1af606-89ba621837-108071566

Don't give up .. it's just around the corner.

budding of UN Teeth

I have seen this "teeth" of UN mentioned a couple of times on this forum. I want to know, is this based on a scripture or article from the slave? Or, is this just a metaphorical way of saying something?

26 minutes ago, Br. Ice said:

I have seen this "teeth" of UN mentioned a couple of times on this forum. I want to know, is this based on a scripture or article from the slave? Or, is this just a metaphorical way of saying something?

I've never heard it in any publication or video. In fact, in recent years, the Society has stopped saying 'the UN' and started calling it 'a coalition of nations' that turns on BTG. The UN is incapable of doing anything at all; and exerting violent power least of all. It's a toothless tiger; and has no mandate or actual authority over anyone. It can raise the issue, but it's the easiest political force to ignore at a global level.

The war in Ukraine is the most blatant example, and the whole world has, without collusion or planning, has united at almost every level. Political, religious, commercial. Military too, if only indirectly. That's that has us wondering if the 'Peace and Security' announcement comes about because of the Ukraine war.

@Br. Ice @Thomas Walker  Sorry brothers - I forgot to quote you so I had to edit and add you to the post. :) 

https://www.jw.org/en/library/books/Revelation-Its-Grand-Climax-At-Hand/Executing-Babylon-the-Great/

Yes, the nations will use the scarlet-colored wild beast, the United Nations, in destroying Babylon the Great. They do not act on their own initiative, for Jehovah puts it into their hearts “even to carry out their one thought by giving their kingdom to the wild beast.” When the time comes, the nations will evidently see the need to strengthen the United Nations. They will give it teeth, as it were, lending it whatever authority and power they possess so that it can turn upon false religion and fight successfully against her “until the words of God will have been accomplished.” Thus, the ancient harlot will come to her complete end. And good riddance to her!

Definitely a quote in a publication, albeit metaphorical by the slave and not a scripture.

Edited by GeordieGirl

Don't give up .. it's just around the corner.

6 hours ago, Br. Ice said:

(Revelation 17:10, 11) 10 And there are seven kings: Five have fallen, one is, and the other has not yet arrived; but when he does arrive, he must remain a short while. 11 

And the wild beast that was but is not,+ it is also an eighth king, but it springs from the seven, and it goes off into destruction. 

https://www.jw.org/finder?wtlocale=E&pub=nwtsty&srctype=wol&bible=66017010&srcid=share

This scripture indicates the UN will receive some kind of ruling authority that it currently does not have. Right now the UN is impotent and lacks authority. 

6 hours ago, Thomas Walker said:

I've never heard it in any publication or video. In fact, in recent years, the Society has stopped saying 'the UN' and started calling it 'a coalition of nations' that turns on BTG

By definition the UN is a coalition of nations.  Now, does that make it synonymous with Gog of Magog?  I don't know but I do know that as long as those nations that comprise Gog are also part of the UN, will that really make a difference? 

We expect all the nations to tuen against Jehovah and his people.  All independent states that are recognized as countries by the UN are automatically members. 

6 hours ago, GeordieGirl said:

@Br. Ice @Thomas Walker  Sorry brothers - I forgot to quote you so I had to edit and add you to the post. :) 

https://www.jw.org/en/library/books/Revelation-Its-Grand-Climax-At-Hand/Executing-Babylon-the-Great/

Yes, the nations will use the scarlet-colored wild beast, the United Nations, in destroying Babylon the Great. They do not act on their own initiative, for Jehovah puts it into their hearts “even to carry out their one thought by giving their kingdom to the wild beast.” When the time comes, the nations will evidently see the need to strengthen the United Nations. They will give it teeth, as it were, lending it whatever authority and power they possess so that it can turn upon false religion and fight successfully against her “until the words of God will have been accomplished.” Thus, the ancient harlot will come to her complete end. And good riddance to her!

Definitely a quote in a publication, albeit metaphorical by the slave and not a scripture.

I have also seen Brother Loesch state this in a video.

“The ten horns that you saw mean ten kings who have not yet received a kingdom, but they do receive authority as kings for one hour with the wild beast.  These have one thought, so they give their power and authority to the wild beast...And the ten horns that you saw and the wild beast, these will hate the prostitute and will make her devastated and naked, and they will eat up her flesh and completely burn her with fire. For God put it into their hearts to carry out his thought, yes, to carry out their one thought by giving their kingdom to the wild beast..." Rev. 17:12 - 17.

"When the time comes, the nations will evidently see the need to strengthen the United Nations. They will give it teeth, as it were, lending it whatever authority and power they possess " Revelation book.

The war in Ukraine and the result of Russia being able to veto gives the "need" to develop the ability for ALL member states  [10 horns] to have the authority to say "What justification do you have to veto this action"? Therefore the UN approves measure requiring states to justify veto on Tuesday.