JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Memorial Service Slideshow

OnlyM is an option, but requires too much manual intervention for a memorial (imho).  Here are some picture to video options, add music, transitions.  Produce the video and play that with OnlyM

• Linux: kdenlive - free forever, DaVinci Resolve
  • Windoze: Movavi - free for 7 days, Thudersoft, Bolide, NCH PhotoStage, DaVinci Resolve
  • CrabApple: iMovie, NCH PhotoStage, DaVinci Resolve
  • Online: fastreel, PixTeller, InVideo, canva

13 hours ago, Shawnster said:

What software do you use to create a video sideshow for a memorial service? What has worked well for you? 

Are you preparing a video slideshow for a memorial? We are sorry for your loss...

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

I did one about a couple of months ago for one of the brothers that was in our congregation who passed away. I had about 35 pictures and I also picked 2 songs using groove to play in the background whilst showing each of the pictures for about 10secs each whilst the song played, using the time of the song as the indicator.

As the pictures were all various sizes using OnlyM was the best option considering I had received the pictures less than 2 days before the event. We also used another congregation's Zoom account as that congregation had purchased the extra attendees ability just for the month for a memorial that had that month too, also the brother who hosted, his wife was the niece of the brother who passed away. When I was looking at the share screen feature, that congregation's settings for sharing didn't have the feature of sharing a screen (monitor), only apps windows. So I had to reconfigure my OnlyM to have a window which I then was able to share, as normally use the monitor setting in OnlyM.

The funny thing was is that brother who passed away use to make sure that everyone was ready for the assignments for the meeting and when someone was a no show we used to joke about having a plan B or C. We went into plan B that day.

We attended another memorial today, we have been to several this month. I don't know what software they used for the slideshow.

My wife and I recently decided that we each want to create a "When I die" folder for the images we would like shown if we die.

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

14 hours ago, Tortuga said:

My wife and I recently decided that we each want to create a "When I die" folder for the images we would like shown if we die

I know my wife with her mother got her to draft what she wanted to put in her eulogy before she passed away with pancreatic cancer. We went through it with a friend who would be reading the eulogy and even put in a few other comments of her life and how some of her grandchildren choose certain careers in their lives (most of the family were out of the truth). So she got to hear it before she was taken out with the palliative care.

My wife and I have decided that if anything happens to us in this world, we don't want a memorial service in our behalf. Mainly because it's too close to the end to be sad, just get yourselves there first and be happy when you get there. Her children live interstate, so we don't need for them to burdened down with the funeral arrangements and services.

The wife wishes just to be cremated and her ashes to be spread in the garden. Also she would prefer a big party when she gets resurrected, at least she can attend it!

Whereas for me, cremated and the ashes can be dumped into the bin. I'm dead, what would I feel or care. And I really don't want a party at all if I get resurrected. It would be like, "OK, I'm here now. What the new rules now in the new world. Just hand me the tools and tell me what needs to be done." I am a bit of a party pooper and I am not one for parties. Secondly, I don't think they would allow "Highway to Hell" by ACDC be played at the KH. (I do have a sick sense of humour, and the lyrics fit in).

On 6/17/2022 at 9:45 PM, Tortuga said:

Are you preparing a video slideshow for a memorial? We are sorry for your loss...

Thank you.  My wife's grandmother passed away.  She turned 100 last October. She died on the anniversary of her baptism. 66 years of faithful service.  

I have done a couple of memorial slide shows. (We lost our 3 remaining parents over a 9 month period.)
There is a free one that comes with windows (10). Super simple to use. Easily add music. Easy to change slide order.
Not super fancy, but it had some simple fade-in/fade-out options.
I would use it again.

Old (Downunder) Tone