JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

What did you see while out in service?

When we do rurals we usually see deer and quail. Today we saw a mama wild turkey with 12 (I think) teensy babies following her. I love it here!

A couple of weeks ago in another location we had a turkey run in front of the truck and then take off flying (we'd never seen one fly before). It took awhile to get airborne from a running start in the road, but finally started gaining altitude and landed about half-way up a redwood tree.

Squirrels are commonly seen in the road threatening to die under our wheels--we'd feel terrible if we ever hit one.

Once we saw a bob-cat who gave us a mean look.

Once when we were doing the rurals Hear in Ireland, i was so mad, because im a big guy and we walked miles to get to this farm.

I was with this upbeat brother, so cheery.( i had to pray to Jehovah with all my strength not to hit him)

Anyway We were walking up the hill when he decided to cross a field for a short cut.

He did not see the bull in the field, and it chased him and i am ashamed to say i never laughed so much as he fell in a big pile of cow pat.

He was covered in it. But i had to sit next to him in the car on the way back to town. :laugh:

Today we saw many horses, and cows and babies playing in the field. Large birds in the sky like turkey vultures.

We saw a pod of 100 or more green butterfly's. :eek:

But mostly we saw beautiful flowers today!

Oh, yes, one Bunny crossing the road.

This makes service so enjoyable!

We also see many deer.

And Black bears and their cub babies.

Ron, I was howling with laughter at your post...funniest thing I've read in a lonnnng time...I can just picture the whole scenario. Too funny, and I know what you mean about cheery people. I worked out in service with a sister this morning...super-cheery and NON-STOP talker...my ears are sore...LOL...

We're city people so nothing exciting like that happens...We get excited at seeing the occasional rabbit scampering by.

I intend to live forever...so far so good. :D

My husband and I were on the porch of a return visit and talking to the man when he yelled to his wife to hand him the rifle. He told us to back up toward the door and he pointed the gun down by the steps and shot a water moccasin. Kind of scary!

Once when we were doing the rurals Hear in Ireland, i was so mad, because im a big guy and we walked miles to get to this farm.

I was with this upbeat brother, so cheery.( i had to pray to Jehovah with all my strength not to hit him)

Anyway We were walking up the hill when he decided to cross a field for a short cut.

He did not see the bull in the field, and it chased him and i am ashamed to say i never laughed so much as he fell in a big pile of cow pat.

He was covered in it. But i had to sit next to him in the car on the way back to town. :laugh:

:lol1: Similar story to a post I made on the Funniest Things in Field Service thread!

We've seen pygmy goats, llamas, emus, rattlesnakes and a grey crested householder.

:lol2:

DOGS. Hey, we live in the South, where everyone has at least a half dozen dogs under the front porch! We see the standard farm animals, plus llamas, peacocks and such. Plus so many different kinds of wildlife: bear (small ones), deer, coyote and there is a HUGE population of skunks and armadillo (aka, possum on the half-shell). There is a family of foxes that have a litter of pups each spring...we always look for them on the way to the KH. Hawks and egret are in abundance. In the late fall and winter, the fields are completely covered with the geese and ducks that have escaped from the north. When the snow geese are in, it looks like the fields are covered with snow. Alligators...especially during flood season. S N A K E S !!! Lots of rattlesnake, copperhead and moccasin...plus all the non-poisonous. And because of all the snakes, lots of Snake Doctors (known in other areas as Dragonfly)

I would have been down for the count! ...http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_jUC4wFJIC9w/RzNpFf-zOKI/AAAAAAAABBg/utS19BJ6SsY/s100/fainted.jpg

My husband and I were on the porch of a return visit and talking to the man when he yelled to his wife to hand him the rifle. He told us to back up toward the door and he pointed the gun down by the steps and shot a water moccasin. Kind of scary!

One day in field service i was with a sister at the door, and as she was giving her presentation her slip fell to the floor. The sister kicked the slip off and put it in the householders garbage can. The householder took the slip out of the garbage can and asked the sister if she could have it. We had a good laugh about this experiment. :ecstatic:

Years ago we had an older pioneer brother with a German accent in our congregation.

We went to a farm that he was calling on. Part of a magazine route. At the locked front gate

a bull came wandering up. Our brother, 'Henry' put a pair of magazines on the bulls horn with

a rubber band and we left.

We went back the next day and the bull came back, - - with a dollar bill strapped to his horn.

Henry was a character. For years after he died people in the territories asked - "where's Henry".

We'll see him again some splendid day. Henry was a Marvelous brother.

Years ago we had an older pioneer brother with a German accent in our congregation.

We went to a farm that he was calling on. Part of a magazine route. At the locked front gate

a bull came wandering up. Our brother, 'Henry' put a pair of magazines on the bulls horn with

a rubber band and we left.

We went back the next day and the bull came back, - - with a dollar bill strapped to his horn.

Henry was a character. For years after he died people in the territories asked - "where's Henry".

We'll see him again some splendid day. Henry was a Marvelous brother.

That is too cute! (tu)

On hearing that I would be :eek:

Speaking of goats makes me think of a call I made in Colo. years ago. This householder had no "pride of ownership" shall we say! The place was wide open and kids and dogs and ?? were running around everywhere. The HH invited us in and indicated we should sit down on the foldout sofabed, still with sheets and blankets on it. We no more than sat down and here came about three or four young goats in the open door and right up ON the bed behind us! That was a little distracting to say the least. By the way the people must have been related to their "goats" cuz they didn't accept the truth.:nope:

This happened at our KH here in Fairbanks. A mother moose gave birth to her baby on our KH lawn. My husband was going over to water the grass and he got to see her. The rest of us missed out on it. :crying:

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not often in a street witnessing, but I count and keep in mind some of "small things" that help me to survive the day.... In winter times there were squirrels playing with magpies, several days ago - a woodpecker knocking at the tree, yesterday there was a little hedgehog in the grass. Once I saw an elderly couple with absolutely white hair, they walked down the boulevard embracing like they were just fall in love. I'm gathering these pictures in my mind ...

"Absolute rubbish”