JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

NWT Bible in text format

I need the NWT as text format (better markdown format) because I want to use my learning tool (Obsidian.md) for study purposes. Any idea where to get it? Is there maybe a Github project for downloading the text?

Edited by student

Hhmm. Interesting request. However, the only thing I can think of for the time being, based on John's comment above, is this: (...assuming you are using a Windows computer)

• Download the entire Bible in RTF format. (You will see an option there to download a zip file with all Bible books.)
  • Right-click the zip file and choose Extract All... (and choose where you want to extract the files).
  • Navigate to where you extracted the files, then select any Bible book.
  • Right-click and choose Open with. (You may have to hold down the Shift key to see that option.)
  • Choose to open it with WordPad. (If that's not visible then go to Choose another app to find WordPad.)
  • In WordPad, click the File menu and choose Save as.
  • From the list, choose Plain text document, and find where you want to save it.
  • That will save the text-only file (no formatting) in txt format.

The obvious problem with this is that you will have to go through the same process for every book of the Bible—very time consuming. And, you will get all of the text in the file, including the emphasis marks on Bible names showing up as question marks. That will require lots of painstaking effort to edit! Sorry to say that's the only thing that comes to mind.

Fine print: This will only work if you really are willing to work long and hard at it!

I can easily export the NWT to plain text but I am not sure of what kind of markdown you need. Something like dividing tagging book, chapter and verse? That's easy to do. I could add bold and italics too if that helps. But other formatting like justified or centered text, different fonts sized or the like I don't think I can tag.

1 minute ago, Sheep said:

Actually, this sounds much easier than what I just wrote!

I edited that immediately after I posted since I can add some markdown, it depends on what the OP needs.

Some time ago I exported the text from wol.jw.org and formatted it for use with the e-Sword software. So the heavy work is already done.

Another possibility is to download the NWT ePub file and use a tool to convert ePub to text. But it would convert everything, including indices, appendices and so on.

8 minutes ago, carlos said:

I edited that immediately after I posted since I can add some markdown, it depends on what the OP needs.

Some time ago I exported the text from wol.jw.org and formatted it for use with the e-Sword software. So the heavy work is already done.

Another possibility is to download the NWT ePub file and use a tool to convert ePub to text. But it would convert everything, including indices, appendices and so on.

Some good points in the thread. Normally I'd say: Hey can u give me a copy. But I need the German version  ... :)

As stated before I use Obsidian as study tool based on markdown files. Obsidian opened for plugins and one of them seems interesting for bible references:

https://github.com/kuchejak/obsidian-bible-linker-plugin

In the README file the developer has an example what he expects.

Maybe I can combine it with this project 

https://github.com/JoelMon/Estienne

Seems to be a brother. Or the "Sheep" approach automated by a script is the way. I will prove it the next days.

Or you already can provide the German NWT in markdown ... then ... 😊

20 minutes ago, student said:

Or you already can provide the German NWT in markdown ... then ... 😊

It doesn't sound too difficult. I would extract the text from the German ePub file (because everytime I prepare a script to download a whole Bible from wol.jw.org the system bans my IP from all JW.org servers for a few days :innocent: )

I see that format requires a separate file for every chapter, and there are several options to mark verses.

I just need the list of abbreviations you would use in German, since the abbreviations will be included in the file names. For example: Gen, Exo, Lev or Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus or 01, 02, 03, whatever you are going to use:

File names are deduced from the link you enter:

• if your file is named "Gen 1", you will have to enter "Gen 1,1-4"
  • if your file is named "Genesis 1", you will have to enter "Genesis 1,1-4"

Some questions: Should the text contain bold and italic tags? I understand it shouldn't contain footnotes and cross-references, right?