JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Choose two favorite fruits.

I guess it all depends on what you call a "fruit"

While the banana plant is colloquially called a banana tree, it's actually an herb distantly related to ginger, since the plant has a succulent tree stem, instead of a wood one. The yellow thing you peel and eat is, in fact, a fruit because it contains the seeds of the plant.

To a botanist, a fruit is an entity that develops from the fertilized ovary of a flower. This means that tomatoes, squash, pumpkins, cucumbers, peppers, eggplants, corn kernels, and bean and pea pods are all fruits

Corn is an important member of the grass family. Corn (Zea mays) was domesticated from a wild plant called teosinte and while eaten sometimes as a vegetable and sometimes as a grain, it is actually classified by botanists as a fruit

A strawberry is actually a multiple fruit which consists of many tiny individual fruits embedded in a fleshy receptacle. The brownish or whitish specks, which are commonly considered seeds, are the true fruits, called achenes, and each of them surrounds a tiny seed

Raspberries are an important commercial fruit crop, widely grown in all temperate regions of the world. The raspberry is the edible fruit of a multitude of plant species in the genus Rubus. The major kinds cultivated are red, black, purple, and blue raspberries

Cacao (or cocoa) beans are technically not beans or legumes, but rather the seeds of the fruit of the Theobroma cacao tree. The pod shaped fruit is botanically classified as baccate-like (berry-like) and each pod produces approximately 35-50 seeds surrounded by a sweet pulp

Then, there are the many fruits that are grown in regions of the world I have never seen nor tasted.

So, again, depending on what we want to call a "fruit", my favorites (not in any particular order) are :

• Tomatoes
  • Corn on the cob
  • cucumbers
  • raspberries (blackberries grow wild here)
  • blueberries (our next-door neighbor is a commercial blueberry grower/producer)
  • bananas
  • chocolate
  • watermelon
  • cantaloupe

Hope this counts as an answer to the question

Edited by Qapla

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

OK - my daughters say I can't count tomatoes and corn as "fruit" - so, they agreed that my favorite two fruits would be

banana GIF

and 

Fruit Champagne GIF by ELMØ   or murder dont judge me GIF

The last two coming in as a tie for second

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

6 hours ago, Qapla said:

A strawberry is actually a multiple fruit which consists of many tiny individual fruits embedded in a fleshy receptacle. The brownish or whitish specks, which are commonly considered seeds, are the true fruits, called achenes, and each of them surrounds a tiny seed

So when is a strawberry dead? This question has plagued various scientists from around the world who have appeared on "The Infinite Monkey Cage".

Dates and cashews eaten together! 

Is a date a fruit or nut?

• Dates are sweet fruits that grow in bundles on date palms. While they are high in natural sugar, they also contain many essential nutrients.
  • So is cashew a fruit or a nut ?

The cashew is actually a fruit ! And botanically speaking, it’s not a nut.

1 minute ago, New World Explorer said:

I have not had good peach from the supermarket for years... looking forward to real peach taste in Paradise. 

It’s hard to find naturally ripe an flavorful fruit. I’ve started visiting orchards, farmers markets but we’ll have to wait for the new system for real fruit 

6 hours ago, Lee49 said:

Dates and cashews eaten together! 

Is a date a fruit or nut?

• Dates are sweet fruits that grow in bundles on date palms. While they are high in natural sugar, they also contain many essential nutrients.
  • So is cashew a fruit or a nut ?

The cashew is actually a fruit ! And botanically speaking, it’s not a nut.

Which type of dates? I love the medjool dates.

Edited by Tortuga
CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D