JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

JW's buy 236,000 sq ft office building set on 20 acres in Long Island NY

4 hours ago, Parale said:

For $27million?

It's also a 236,365-square-foot building.....

Well, i don’t know honestly. But as I understand this area is office space. If brothers were to build assembly hall they would either demolish existing buildings or build it next to the office building. I guess this parcel could have a double role as a training facility (as in Florida) and an assembly hall can be build adjacent to it. 

But I know nothing, don’t  listen to me 😂

🙏 Thank you! 🙏

12 minutes ago, Michał said:

But I know nothing, don’t  listen to me 😂

I didn't hear a word you said...:lol1:

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

On 2/8/2023 at 2:08 AM, Liam Davies said:

Maybe a good real estate investment to renovate and then sell on, similar to what was done with the building in Florida. 

It would seem unlikely that the brothers would be simply seeking a 'good real estate investment'.

Whatever the reasons, I'm sure they would be more spiritual than material.

• 1 month later...

I would say it will be a multipurpose building. Judging by the size of the car park, it could would be used for Assembly Hall/Kingdom Hall(s), office space and perhaps filming location that is much suited for scenes for office scenes, outdoors (using car park) etc. Being only an 1.5 to 2 hours away from HQ and Patterson, and a short distance to JFK Airport it does make sense, and being so close to major link roads is good location too.

• 2 months later...
On 1/11/2023 at 8:36 AM, New World Explorer said:

I have contacted my friend from Fishkill NY Bethel, and he told me that the only project on the cards is a new Assembly Hall in a Long Island. So that could be the spot. 

Looks like it was reliable source. ☺️

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)

• 4 weeks later...

It was nice to see how they present the project to the community leaders. They showed how little it would bother the town, how the plan will impact the taxes of the city and state and how we operate. 
Jehovah really does train us to be the best organization!

Jer 29:11-“For I well know the thoughts I am thinking toward you, declares Jehovah, thoughts of peace, and not calamity, to give you a future and a hope.”

Psalm 56:3-“When I am afraid, I put my trust in you.”
Romans 8:38-”For I am convinced...”

On 2/13/2023 at 4:24 PM, Ross Au said:

It would seem unlikely that the brothers would be simply seeking a 'good real estate investment'.

Whatever the reasons, I'm sure they would be more spiritual than material.

Not strictly a 'good real estate investment'.   However, the presentation video did say the parcel will be sub-divided and the front half will be sold.  If the front half is developed it could replace all the tax revenue the town is currently receiving.  The brother also said our organization deferred our tax-exempt privilege for the current year so as not to burden the city with an unexpected hole in their revenue budget.    (tu)

And he showed that our use of the assembly hall, our people, will generate about $18,000,000 dollars of spending annually.

On 2/7/2023 at 4:50 AM, Parale said:

It's also a 236,365-square-foot building.....

Watch the video presentation at the 12:00 mark.   The brothers have no plans to use the GEICO building.  They plan to sub-divide and sell the front half which includes the massive building.

All we wanted was the back half, parking lot.  It's enough space for a brand new assembly hall, maintenance building and caretaker housing.

SO, they must expect to recover a big chunk of the $27 million by selling the GEICO building.  Maybe break even???

This is rather interesting  .   .   because the brother was emphasizing the impact of the assembly hall by contrasting that GEICO had 3,000 employees coming and going five days a week.  Whereas we only use the assembly hall on weekends.

But his presentation doesn't factor-in that we will turn around and sell the GEICO building which will then result in all that heavy use returning to the site  -  PLUS our assembly hall.  Hmmm   .   .    .

• 9 months later...
On 7/18/2023 at 4:57 PM, Doug said:

we will turn around and sell the GEICO building which will then result in all that heavy use returning to the site

Oh? I thought he addressed that quite well in showing how the return of the sold sites to the tax roll of the governmental agencies involved would be placing the subsequent use of such properties firmly and fairly in the remit of the relevant authorities. After all, the welfare of the community is definitely something that Jehovah has placed within their jurisdiction. Rom.13:4-6. Actually, their subsequent management of impact would likely make for an interesting area of comparison.

On 7/18/2023 at 4:57 PM, Doug said:

sell the front half which includes the massive building.

The transcript says at 22:00 "the current plan anticipates the raising of this building"? Is that a mispelling for "razing this building" or did he mean refurbish?

my God!

I never imagined that our places of worship would be this expensive, but if I may ask, why is one hall so close to another? Is there a high population density in this area?

(Be careful! The above comment came from a suspicious source, a 20 year old. There's a risk that he is being: Idiot, reckless or stupid)

17 hours ago, Eejay said:

The transcript says at 22:00 "the current plan anticipates the raising of this building"? Is that a mispelling for "razing this building" or did he mean refurbish?

The subtitles are 'auto-generated' - ie machine/computer-generated - whereas the actual chart/text displayed shows the correct spelling.

image.png.f886037940d364e1af53a1e28a70a38a.png