JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

"Resurrection" of Dodo?

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 453 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

No other animal is as inexorably linked with extinction as the dodo, an odd-looking flightless bird that lived on the island of Mauritius in the Indian Ocean until the late 17th century.

The arrival of sailors brought with them invasive species like rats and practices like hunting. They doomed the dodo, which showed no fear of humans, to extinction in the space of just a few decades.

Now, a team of scientists wants to bring back the dodo in a bold initiative that will incorporate advances in ancient DNA sequencing, gene editing technology and synthetic biology. They hope the project will open up new techniques for bird conservation.

Even if the team is successful in this high-stakes endeavor, they won’t be making a carbon copy of the dodo that lived four centuries ago, but an altered, hybrid form.https://edition.cnn.com/2023/01/31/world/dodo-bring-back-from-extinction-colossal-scn/index.html

What do you think?

Is it good idea or not? (I just rolled eyes...hmmm)

Dodo Bird Game GIF by Xbox

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)

1 hour ago, carlos said:

I don't think it's a bad idea, but since it will not be the genuine dodo it won't be really useful to study it. So kind of pointless.

The story was the featured picture on the front cover of today's UK Guardian newspaper, inside on page 7 the article has an interesting quote from Prof Ewan Birney, deputy director of the European Molecular Biology Laboratory (EMBL) - who was not involved with the project - “There is no doubt this is an iconic bird. I’ve no idea whether the mechanics of this will work as they claim, but the question is not just can you do this, but should you do it?… I’m not sure what purpose it serves, and whether this is really the best allocation of resources. We should be saving the species that we have before they go extinct.”

It sounds fascinating. But then the article says they are also working on bringing back the wooly mammoth and a prehistoric tiger, and I can't help but to think about Jurassic Park/World, the movies, lol :D

I have a website about healthy low carb eating, nutrition, and weight loss. Come join CarnivoreTalk.com and learn more!

I agree with Brother Carlos and the Professor Brother Paul quoted, from the Guardian article.

I cannot help but think what a complete waste of money and energy scientific organisations put into time wasting projects when there are far more worthwhile things they could be doing with their, obviously too many, $$$$$.

Don't give up .. it's just around the corner.

13 hours ago, Brother_Bliss said:

It sounds fascinating. But then the article says they are also working on bringing back the wooly mammoth and a prehistoric tiger, and I can't help but to think about Jurassic Park/World, the movies, lol :D

I can't help but think of the new fast food franchises. McDodo... Wooly Burger... Mammoth BBQ...:lol1:

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D