JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Oral-B vs Sonicare - Which do you prefer?

Just curious if anybody uses an electric toothbrush from either of these brands. I have had a battery operated Arm & Hammer toothbrush for most of my adult life, but am planning on upping my game and am trying to decide which one is best - if even one is better than the other (probably not).

I have a website about healthy low carb eating, nutrition, and weight loss. Come join CarnivoreTalk.com and learn more!

I have a Sonic Care that needs to be replaced so I'm glad you started the topic.

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

2 minutes ago, Tortuga said:

I have a Sonic Care that needs to be replaced so I'm glad you started the topic.

You just need a replacement head or you wanting to get a whole new unit?

I have a website about healthy low carb eating, nutrition, and weight loss. Come join CarnivoreTalk.com and learn more!

Just now, Brother_Bliss said:

You just need a replacement head or you wanting to get a whole new unit?

The battery doesn't stay charged very long. I'm thinking of replacing the unit.

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

I don't use electronic ones.

Doctor said to exercise, so I use manual, traditional one.

When the doctor asks if I am exercising?, I can truthfully answer.... YES 🤣

Brush Colgate GIF

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)

I use oral b. I just change the brush heads when they lose their color. I've been using them for more than 5 years. 

"there was Jehovah’s word for him, and it went on to say to him: “What is your business here, E·lijah?" To this (Elijah) he said: “I have been absolutely jealous for Jehovah the God of armies"- 1 Kings 19:9, 10 Reference Bible

Ecclesiastes 7:21 "..., do not give your heart to all the words that people may speak," - Reference Bible

6 hours ago, Dages said:

Same, no electronic for me. My dentist says it's less efficient.

There is certainly nothing wrong with a manual toothbrush. If you are using it right and using it regularly and your dentist regularly says things are looking good in there, then there is no reason to change it up.

But "less efficient"? Eh, he might not be up to speed....

One of the more comprehensive analyses of the topic—a 2014 review of studies by the independent Cochrane Collaboration—gave powered toothbrushes a slight edge at cleaning away plaque.

The researchers looked at 56 clinical trials of unsupervised toothbrushing by more than 5,000 adults and children, and found that study subjects who used a powered toothbrush showed an 11 percent reduction in plaque at one to three months, and a 21 percent reduction after three months or more, compared with those who used a manual toothbrush. A 2021 meta-analysis of 28 studies provided further evidence that powered toothbrushes seem to have a slight edge over manual ones when it comes to plaque removal.

In the large 2014 review, researchers also found that users of electric toothbrushes had a 6 percent reduction in gingivitis (gum disease) at one to three months and an 11 percent reduction after three months or longer. A German study published in 2019 in the journal Clinical Periodontology also found that electric toothbrushes were more effective for gum health. Here, researchers at University Medicine Greifswald, who followed 2,819 adults over 11 years, determined that using a powered toothbrush reduced the progression of periodontal disease. Plus, electric toothbrush users had healthier gums overall and retained 19 percent more teeth over the study period than those using a manual toothbrush.

That's from

https://www.consumerreports.org/health/toothbrushes/electric-toothbrush-or-manual-a3193343159/

13 hours ago, Tortuga said:

What was the basis for your decision?

I read several studies that favored Oral-B. I also watched YouTube videos that also seemed to favor Oral-B. One of them was a guy that would dye his plaque pink and then brush. He tested several toothbrushes over several days. Between the two, Oral-B scrubbed away more of the pink plaque.

• 7 months later...

I recently bought an Oral-B to replace my Sonicare. It takes a little getting use to. I still like the Sonicare so when it went on sale I bought another one. So now I use the Sonicare in the morning and the Oral-B at night.🤣

5 minutes ago, Brother_Bliss said:

I'm loving my Oral-B. Between using it, my Waterpik, and my dietary changes, my gums don't bleed anymore.

I started using soft-picks several years ago and I haven't had any problem with my gums for years. Even when I get my teeth cleaned...

On 2/6/2023 at 6:45 PM, Brother_Bliss said:

Just curious if anybody uses an electric toothbrush from either of these brands. I have had a battery operated Arm & Hammer toothbrush for most of my adult life, but am planning on upping my game and am trying to decide which one is best - if even one is better than the other (probably not).

Parden  me for being the JW curmudgeon but why is this a topic on JWtalk?

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

24 minutes ago, Old said:

Because we need good breath to preach and healthy teeth to enjoy Jehovah's variety of foods.

On 10/9/2023 at 11:58 PM, Old said:

JWTalk is an online community for Jehovah's Witnesses. There are various forums/categories for discussion topics and not all of them are necessarily theocratic in nature.

13 minutes ago, Brother_Bliss said:

JWTalk is an online community for Jehovah's Witnesses. There are various forums/categories for discussion topics and not all of them are necessarily theocratic in nature.

All of the discussions about coffee and wine have apparently stained my teeth, so it's a good idea to read this topic after every meal. 😁