JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Movie night for kids

I organize movie nights on a regular bases (once a month)  with publishers, and my friends in the congregation. (They love it) 

Therefore, I am thinking of organizing a movie night for kids from my congregation. 🎬

I am thinking of Sing 2 or  Basil the Great Detective. (is there anything objectionable in those movies? I have not seen them) 

The problem with the choice of movies is that kids have seen the main ones.. Zootopia, Cars... Lion King etc etc...(Disney Plus subscription is very popular here) 

Do you have any other recommendations? Nice clean and pure fun movies? 

It does not have to be animation.

Also what kind of snacks would you provide for kids? 

Any other ideas? 

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)

15 minutes ago, coony77 said:

As for non animated movies, a clasic that never gets old:

E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial

FWIW, just to flag it up, but you may get some push-back with that movie.....

Awake! 8 July 1983, pages 27: Christ or E.T.?

Interestingly, many have noted parallels in the story to that of the life of Jesus Christ. Said Professor Albert E. Millar, Jr.: “I think the thing that struck me most was the idea of the capacity to heal, and then when E.T. died and was resurrected.” We have in E.T., then, an enchanting Messiahlike figure that gives momentary emotional release to our need for a true friend with powers greater than ours. Therein lies the movie’s great appeal.

Despite its seemingly Christian message, however, the movie subtly condones youthful misbehavior. In an early scene we find youths playing “Dungeons and Dragons” in a smoke-filled room with a lighted cigarette on the table. Later on, when E.T. gets drunk sampling beer, and Elliott in telepathic sympathy feels the effects, it is all portrayed as something cute. Further, some of the language used by these children is gross profanity. This, along with the supernatural aspects of the movie, has bothered many Christians.

Whether parents or their children see this movie is, of course, a matter of personal choice. But because of the movie’s great popularity, let us not forget that it becomes an effective vehicle for sugarcoating youthful conduct that is definitely wrong.

E.T. may be a skillfully constructed and highly entertaining movie. But it provides no substitute for our True Friend, Jesus Christ, who saves us from this dying, wicked world. After all, E.T. is make-believe. Christ is reality.

https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/101983489

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, PGgenius said:

it's hard to say anything.Everyone knows what the organization has written

15 minutes ago, PGgenius said:

And old tarzan movies. some old brother recommended it, an old brother recommended it to my parents when I was young. I thought they were good. you can decide for yourself.

Awake! 8 February 1983, page 31: Flying High

The newspaper Politika of Belgrade, Yugoslavia, says that when old American Tarzan jungle movies were seen on television recently, the number of broken bones and other injuries shot up: “In the past several weeks, trees have been crowded with children, rooftops have become their targets and everywhere one can hear cries imitating Tarzan, the king of the jungle.”

https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/101983092#h=28

😮

Edited by Parale

42 minutes ago, Parale said:

Awake! 8 February 1983, page 31: Flying High

The newspaper Politika of Belgrade, Yugoslavia, says that when old American Tarzan jungle movies were seen on television recently, the number of broken bones and other injuries shot up: “In the past several weeks, trees have been crowded with children, rooftops have become their targets and everywhere one can hear cries imitating Tarzan, the king of the jungle.”

https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/101983092#h=28

😮

I climbed the trees myself and came down but it was good. learning to fall is also good if you live in a snowy area example.many people don't know how to fall and that's why bones break.And thats why they burden healthcare.

2 hours ago, PGgenius said:

it's hard to say anything.Everyone knows what the organization has written about it,the message is that everything is from satan.Go out and do something maybe dangerous and fun,or do something stressful.Then the children will soon tired of the fun.😀

Yes, what is printed on the subject is to be selective. 
Being selective and rejecting everything outright,  are two different approaches. 

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)

I started to watch this with a free movie week, didn't get to finish it though, I thought it was very kid friendly and well done , I recommended it to my daughter for my grandson.

Marcel The Shell With Shoes On 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marcel_the_Shell_with_Shoes_On_(2021_film)

2023-03-27_18h26_44.png

• 2 weeks later...

My fault,I don't want to be smug.Many movies are good,even if you didn't do them yourself,or some jw,s. I see movie Paddington 9 points. I see many charlie chaplin movies 9 points. W 53,s62 we see "Don't be too righteous and don't be too wise; why would you destroy  yourself" Ecclesiastes 7:16 . 

This admonition avoids both extremes, Some are extreme in their opinions about righteousness and look down on others as wicked. We should not display extravagant righteousness outwardly and try to appear very righteous in our own eyes and in the eyes of others, for we would be destroyed in such outward righteousness. So take it easy and be joy. I want you in paradise, I'll offer you an apple there😄🙃

I just watched "Mrs Harris Goes to Paris" on Amazon Prime this past weekend.  What a delightful film!  I can recommend this to anyone of any age - not a thing objectionable.  And that's saying something. 😉 It may be more suited to older girls/teens, just because it's an adult story.  But I can't really see anyone not enjoying it.   ❤️ 

• The Princess Bride is a classic favorite for all ages - no matter how many times one has seen it.
  • Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory - Gene Wilder version
  • Annie - the Carol Burnett version
  • Chitty Chitty Bang Bang - worth it for the Child Catcher alone! :D
  • Honey, I Shrunk the Kids
  • Homeward Bound - 🥺
  • Charlotte's Web - the Debbie Reynolds voiced one
  • Hook - with Robin Williams is a seriously good time
  • Babe - "that'll do, pig"... ❤️ 
  • The Black Stallion - ❤️❤️ 
  • The Lego Movie - coz it's awesome, when you're part of a team! :D 
  • Hugo - REALLY good, amazing filming..
  • Remember the Titans - good sports flick, good lessons learned, too
  • Akeelah and the Bee - brilliant
  • Queen of Katwe - OH, so good...
  • Hidden Figures - excellent for all ages - but probably a bit older
  • Bend It Like Beckham - also for older kids

I got a lot of these from this site:  https://www.purewow.com/family/best-family-movies  But I've seen them all and will vouch  😉 

Edited by Hope

I've watched many of those and agree. Especially liked Hidden Figures.

Just recently watched Ticket to Paradise , free with Amazon Prime. Also, last night, Crazy Like a Fox, Mary McDonnell (Dances with Wolves). It was 99c to rent  but just the scenery was worth it

One small crack doesn't mean you are broken; it means that you were put to the test and didn't fall apart..