JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Violence in our suburbs

Today, I caught up with news happening in the world, and noticed these two sad stories regarding gun shootings in the USA.  And it got me thinking, how very close we are to the end, when you can't even approach a door anymore without being shot dead.  This didn't happen to Jehovah's Witnesses yet, as far as I know.  These two instances were just normal everyday young people who made a mistake in knocking on the wrong door or driving into the wrong driveway.  It's a sad indictment on the mentality the world has on 'shoot first, ask questions later' (note: this was not a police shooting, and involved not only a black victim, but also a white woman.  Just thoughtless violence, through and through).

Kaylin Gillis: Woman shot dead in New York state after friend pulled into wrong driveway

Ralph Yarl: Black teen shot at doorstep after ringing wrong doorbell

So, maybe we are getting to the end of being able to witness safely in our neighbourhoods?  It has to come one day.  We already use other means for witnessing which are also very effective and somewhat safer.  But in the end, you can die violently doing any form of witnessing (as that brother doing RVs did recently), or even just going to the shops or work or school (time and unforseen circumstances and the result of living in the last days).  But I just thought this is becoming more than just an unusual or rare occurance.

So be careful brothers and sisters! 💖

51 minutes ago, hatcheckgirl said:

But in the end, you can die violently doing any form of witnessing (as that brother doing RVs did recently), or even just going to the shops or work or school

One third of mass shootings takes place at workplace (recently bank) 

Interesting statistics: From school drop-off on Monday morning to a Saturday night basketball game, shootings can happen any time. But more often, they happen on Fridays.

https://edition.cnn.com/interactive/2019/07/us/ten-years-of-school-shootings-trnd/

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)

Unfortunately because of crime coming in areas where it wasn't before, people feel safer with the shoot first ask questions later, they themsleves don't want to be harmed. I don't know how the people whom got shot knocked on the door ... Maybe it startled or scared the person  into shooting first, but it does bear in mind that sometimes the way we do things can cause a bad reaction.... note this can affect people of any race. 

In Chicago people are mainly carjacking and robbing and shooting people randomly ( it used to be mostly at late night now it can be at anytime). 

I may be tired and in pain :wheelchair: but I'll never   :surrender: to it just send some encouraging words or hugs  :kisscheek:  :encourage:  and I'll return the same   :kisscheek:  :encourage:

11 hours ago, BlaqueCalalilly said:

Unfortunately because of crime coming in areas where it wasn't before, people feel safer with the shoot first ask questions later, they themsleves don't want to be harmed. I don't know how the people whom got shot knocked on the door ... Maybe it startled or scared the person  into shooting first, but it does bear in mind that sometimes the way we do things can cause a bad reaction.... note this can affect people of any race. 

The teenager told authorities he had mistakenly approached Mr Lester's home last Thursday night to pick up his younger twin brothers, driving to Northeast 115 Street instead of Northeast 115th Terrace, which is one block away.

After Ralph rang the doorbell, Mr Lester shot him twice - once in the forehead and once in the arm.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-65316073

It was a 16 year old black boy. The authorities believe there was a racial component involved. No point in having a doorbell if you get scared when someone uses it.  The boy survived though doctors don't know how and he has a long way to go to recover. 

I can't think of any excuse a person can make for randomly shooting people who ring their doorbell or accidently pull into their driveway.

Don't give up .. it's just around the corner.

15 minutes ago, GeordieGirl said:

The teenager told authorities he had mistakenly approached Mr Lester's home last Thursday night to pick up his younger twin brothers, driving to Northeast 115 Street instead of Northeast 115th Terrace, which is one block away.

After Ralph rang the doorbell, Mr Lester shot him twice - once in the forehead and once in the arm.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-65316073

It was a 16 year old black boy. The authorities believe there was a racial component involved. No point in having a doorbell if you get scared when someone uses it.  The boy survived though doctors don't know how and he has a long way to go to recover. 

I can't think of any excuse a person can make for randomly shooting people who ring their doorbell or accidently pull into their driveway.

It was a 85yo grandpa who got scared when the kid tried to enter his home... when all the news are about youth violence, the old man got scared.

24 minutes ago, Dages said:

It was a 85yo grandpa who got scared when the kid tried to enter his home... when all the news are about youth violence, the old man got scared.

But he didn't try to enter his home.  He rang the doorbell.  The authorities specifically stated he didn't enter the house.

No words were exchanged before the homeowner opened fire with a .32 revolver, prosecutors said.

Mr Lester has not denied shooting the boy, telling authorities he believed he was protecting himself from a confrontation. Prosecutors have said that Ralph "did not cross the threshold" of Mr Lester's home.

5 minutes ago, GeordieGirl said:

No words were exchanged before the homeowner opened fire with a .32 revolver, prosecutors said.

People are driven by fear... most likely he overreacted due to imagining worse scenario.. therefore he shot! 

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)

Which is why I started this thread.  Not to scare anyone, but if householders are going to be this tetchy, are we in that part of the last of the last days that our preaching work will have to change for our own safety?  Just wondering, that's all.  We stay obedient until Jehovah says the work is done.

1 minute ago, hatcheckgirl said:

are we in that part of the last of the last days that our preaching work will have to change for our own safety?

I will soon go from door to door like this ... if you keep posting those topics LOL 🤣

yippie GIF

53 minutes ago, New World Explorer said:

People are driven by fear... most likely he overreacted due to imagining worse scenario.. therefore he shot! 

So everyone keeps saying. And putting it in bold and underlining it doesn't change my thoughts, that there is no justification for opening your front door with a gun in your hand and shooting before a word is even spoken. 

5 minutes ago, hatcheckgirl said:

Which is why I started this thread.  Not to scare anyone, but if householders are going to be this tetchy, are we in that part of the last of the last days that our preaching work will have to change for our own safety?  Just wondering, that's all.  We stay obedient until Jehovah says the work is done.

I agree.  It is something good to think about. We are very much out on display, even more so with the cart work where there is no doubt about who we are.  Anything could happen at anytime.

I wonder if our hailstone message will be delivered in person.  However we're instructed, we'll be obedient.

37 minutes ago, GeordieGirl said:

So everyone keeps saying. And putting it in bold and underlining it doesn't change my thoughts, that there is no justification for opening your front door with a gun in your hand and shooting before a word is even spoken. 

May I add to my comment? :) I did not mean to justify his actions. It's unspeakable what has happened. 

17 hours ago, BlaqueCalalilly said:

In Chicago people are mainly carjacking and robbing and shooting people randomly ( it used to be mostly at late night now it can be at anytime). 

Right

Authorities have arrested the man they say shot two teenage cheerleaders after one said she mistook the suspect’s vehicle as her own in a supermarket parking lot near Texas’ capital – at least the third incident this week in which young people who’d made an apparent mistake were met with gunfire.

https://edition.cnn.com/2023/04/19/us/texas-cheerleaders-woodlands-elite-shooting/index.html

The world is going down hill so rapidly. It is really getting out of control. 

I remember a talk once a long time ago, where the brother likened the approaching end of the system to water going down the plug hole in a bath or sink.  As the water level lowers a vortex forms and the rate the flows speeds up.

As we get closer to the end of this system, the rate at which it deteriorates will speed up. 

13 hours ago, hatcheckgirl said:

. . . are we in that part of the last of the last days that our preaching work will have to change for our own safety?

I thought the same. This boy got shot at when he knocked on the wrong door. Imagine what people might do when we are knocking on the right door!

• 9 months later...

I work Doordas occasionally, mainly at night. Half the time people won't turn on their lights. A few times I have been mistaken as an intruder by my customers.

An extremely dangerous situation, considering that 9 out of 10 people in my area are armed to the teeth. Nowadays I always text the customer to keep their lights on if they want their deliveries. Don't wanna risk getting shot.

Sent from my Power Armor 13 using Tapatalk