JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Do you sometimes feel like the world has more good-looking people?

On 6/12/2023 at 12:56 AM, Hotteok said:

That's what I think too, it's amazing how much beauty products and plastic surgery can do for girls beauty-wise.

Same for brothers too, we don't have much time to train our muscles so in general, world guys have better bodies. 

This is my problem too—lack of time. Still, I have ripping muscles and can rip a phone book in two as easily as looking at it. (Youngsters ask: ‘What’s a phone book?’)

A fine looking bunch of people are Jehovah’s people. Women outside are pretty too, but one must never forget the following scripture, much more likely to be true there than here:

“As a gold nose ring in the snout of a pig, so is a woman that is pretty but that is turning away from sensibleness.” (Prov 11:22)

Author of two ebooks and print, one on the opposition to the kingdom work in Russia, and one on the opposition in Western lands. Search: Tom Harley on Kindle and other ebook retailers.

A

1 hour ago, TrueTomHarley said:

This is my problem too—lack of time. Still, I have ripping muscles and can rip a phone book in two as easily as looking at it. (Youngsters ask: ‘What’s a phone book?’)

A fine looking bunch of people are Jehovah’s people. Women outside are pretty too, but one must never forget the following scripture, much more likely to be true there than here:

“As a gold nose ring in the snout of a pig, so is a woman that is pretty but that is turning away from sensibleness.” (Prov 11:22)

Brother, what's your secret? Please share.. : -) 

I only do push ups and pull ups. 

In Canada I used to work as a credit lender and financial advisor for a credit union. A coworker man in the department often had his girlfriend drop in on him. He knew I was a witness and one day we got chatting and related the story of how a couple of sisters knocked at his door. He just had to tell me that every time he meets or sees JW women, they are always the most beautiful women he’s seen, saying this with a look of flabbergast. So from an outsiders perspective it‘s generally the opposite. I think it has alot to do not necessarily with looks, but that we maintain high moral standards. Usually why sisters are hit on at work for standing out. Perhaps it’s to do with the old forbidden fruit adage.

- Read the Bible daily 

The chariot is moving ❤️‍🔥

Ps.86:11

After reading through these posts, I think the most reasonable conclusion would be that

No difference looks-wise among JWs or Non-JWs, because Jehovah doesn't draw people to him based on looks.

However, Jehovah knows best when people look their best, what people need, what thoughts or emotions they should have or how to dressed,

so the genuine, the truest beauty is indeed among JWs, even physically, sorry Non-JWs.

But, it's also true that there are many good-looking people outside and one might think the world has more of them because simply, they are more numerous. 

So naturally it's easier to find a good looking Non-Jw than a good-looking JW, and with their secular devotion to looking better, they can sometimes APPEAR better-looking.

And it's also true that some good-looking people become haughty (as we learn this week through Hezekiah's example) and end up rejecting the Bible truth, might regard it as something 'below' them. 

I knew there was a reason I wasn’t opening up this topic 🙄 😂

I think Jehovah’s people are beautiful—we tend to take care of ourselves and try to live healthier lives out of respect for the giver of life. Not that this is always necessary to look good, but where I have lived, sisters most definitely wear makeup and do their hair and dress nice. And I know plenty of brothers AND sisters who work out. So no excuses @Hotteok, maybe you just live in a town with a lot of homely people 😜 (kidding).

There’s a range of attractiveness just like with anyone, but honestly look at any legit jw Instagram account with group photos from conventions and like…come on!

16 hours ago, Hotteok said:

A

Brother, what's your secret? Please share.. : -) 

I only do push ups and pull ups. 

To find kids unfamiliar with phone books and convince them that a comic book is one.

Author of two ebooks and print, one on the opposition to the kingdom work in Russia, and one on the opposition in Western lands. Search: Tom Harley on Kindle and other ebook retailers.

On 6/12/2023 at 5:05 AM, Hotteok said:

I'm a man so sometimes  I think world girls are prettier than sisters in general, and feeling like an ancient man watching Israel men dying due to Canaanite girls. 

Talking of physical beauty,This can be true but it depends on the locality, so its not a general thing.

In some places we have the most physically beautiful women in our organization, in other places its equal whereas in some others the sisters may not be so beautiful like the brothers would want.

its a realistic viewpoint.

But men who value Jehovah's worship attach more importance to spiritual qualities of a lady and not just the physical beauty,that is what really makes the difference.

And hey,beauty lies in the eyes of the beholder, so everyone woman is a beauty queen.

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/15/2023 at 6:01 AM, Hotteok said:

...But, it's also true that there are many good-looking people outside and one might think the world has more of them because simply, they are more numerous. 

So naturally it's easier to find a good looking Non-Jw than a good-looking JW, and with their secular devotion to looking better, they can sometimes APPEAR better-looking...

Reading this topic makes me wonder why you even would even think about looking "outside" (outside the organization)? When we all know that one of the very basic principles is to get married in the Lord only. Also the Bible does talk about what has light to do with darkness? (nothing) Why would you even think, consider, to find someone "good looking" outside? Also one posted alread the text “As a gold nose ring in the snout of a pig, so is a woman that is pretty but that is turning away from sensibleness.” (Prov 11:22). I can perfectly understand that some feel hurt when they read thoughts like this.

I've seen plenty of posts from JW's who actually returned back into the truth and they clearly say that it was not worth it to be "outside", that they regret, that they happy that they returned. When you know this too why would you even think to look outside?

Also what came to my thought is that how come you pray to Jehovah for a partner, which would not only be the best, but the only option, while at the same time you seem to intend to look outside?

The truth has plenty of beautiful good looking people on board, no not outside! Make it easier for yourself and all of us and have a look there.

Make it a matter of prayer. The Bible also says; Keep seeking Gods Kingdom, and these things will be added to you.

Plenty of reasons to look in the truth rather than outside or even think or consider to do so!

...It is how it is... 😊  I love long walks, special when you do the walking. A long answer is not short.

On 6/14/2023 at 11:01 PM, Amygdala said:

So from an outsiders perspective it‘s generally the opposite. I think it has alot to do not necessarily with looks, but that we maintain high moral standards

I agree with this.  I have to tell you about my youngest brother.  Growing up (in the truth) he was very charismatic, a very good speaker and good-looking.  He could be working at one job and someone would come in and offer him a better job because of his qualities and how he carried himself.  That's what Jehovah does for you.  He has since left the truth and lives a very immoral life.  He doesn't look like the same person.  I know that a lot has to do with the type of life he lives but even as a member of my family sometimes I've seen pics of him (mugshots) and I don't even recognize him.  I know that this is an extreme case but it's amazing to me how leaving Jehovah can change you inside and out. 

Dance. Even if there's no music. 

Dance Dancing GIF by binibambini

3 minutes ago, jwmom said:

...I know that this is an extreme case but it's amazing to me how leaving Jehovah can change you inside and out...

I won't qualify this as extreme case, but as you pointing out something that has hurt you, and obviously still hurts you. I have seen similar situations, from someone "good looking", to someone who let me say changed a lot, for sure "not good looking" anymore.

But I still don't get it why someone would even consider "looking outside"? It comes also across like Jehovah knows it good, but possible I know it a little better.

...It is how it is... 😊  I love long walks, special when you do the walking. A long answer is not short.

2 hours ago, IceBreeze said:

But I still don't get it why someone would even consider "looking outside"?

You have mentioned this several times but I don't think the OP is "looking outside". He never said he was looking for a non-Witness girl to marry her. He just said he sees a lot of good looking girls in the world.

I am married and absolutely not looking for anything but I see some good looking women every day. Any man who is not blind can notice beautiful women. Which is not the same as intending to marry them or to have anything to do with them. And of course that has nothing to do with the spiritual beauty our sisters posesss.

2 hours ago, IceBreeze said:

I won't qualify this as extreme case,

I completely agree with you.  I guess why I say extreme is because I see the change.  You wouldn't know how different he (my brother) is because you haven't seen it.  :)

And also, he's my brother so there's and emotional side to that. You know what I mean?

4 hours ago, jwmom said:

I agree with this.  I have to tell you about my youngest brother.  Growing up (in the truth) he was very charismatic, a very good speaker and good-looking.  He could be working at one job and someone would come in and offer him a better job because of his qualities and how he carried himself.  That's what Jehovah does for you.  He has since left the truth and lives a very immoral life.  He doesn't look like the same person.  I know that a lot has to do with the type of life he lives but even as a member of my family sometimes I've seen pics of him (mugshots) and I don't even recognize him.  I know that this is an extreme case but it's amazing to me how leaving Jehovah can change you inside and out. 

I wonder how much our inner person can affect our outer looks.  It kind of does, I think. 
Or maybe it’s just the way we view them or maybe it’s even holy spirit..

Like how interested ones used to look just okay or even bad but they end up looking so good after they get baptized and start living Christian lives.

5 minutes ago, Hotteok said:

I wonder how much our inner person can affect our outer looks.  It kind of does, I think. 
Or maybe it’s just the way we view them or maybe it’s even holy spirit..

Like how interested ones used to look just okay or even bad but they end up looking so good after they get baptized and start living Christian lives.

of course, none of them ends up looking like celebrities but there’s this brother like or sister-like looks or aura that seems to circle around them or maybe I should say it’s God-given dignity or God-given masculinity or femininity. 

2 hours ago, carlos said:

...You have mentioned this several times but I don't think the OP is "looking outside"...

...I am married and absolutely not looking for anything but I see some good looking women every day...

-  First of all, thank you for quoting some of what I wrote. I do appreciate very much. 😊

There for I am happy to explain what I wrote.

In answer to what you have been quoting, please take note that I wrote about "intention of looking outside", or in other perspective that I wrote "thinking about looking outside", i.e. "why would someone even consider looking outside".

If you re-read all the posts of topic starter, with all respect, you will see that in one post the text even states; 

After reading through these posts, I think the most reasonable conclusion would be that

No difference looks-wise among JWs or Non-JWs.

So after reading all what others wrote, even based on Jehovah's word the Bible, i. e. potential "warnings", the conclusion of the topic starter was that there is looks-wise no difference among JWs versus Non-JWs? Does this not at least look like "comparing" both?

Is opening a topic about something like this not a "give away" what is most likely on someones mind?

If I post something about Coffee, which I really love. I post pictures, I post my thoughts about it, I post that I compare the brandnames, also I post that I prefer Douwe Egberts Rather than Perla (two Dutch brandnames), I post that it would be nice to invite you and your wife for a cup of coffee, and that I would love to invite the other brothers and sisters who posted in this topic too.

But all of them post response to me like; Coffee is yummy, and it would be great to have a cup of coffee with you. But have you thought about that it would keep you, and all of us awake when it is made too strong? It even may cause heart problems and high blood pressure when we drink too much of it?

After reading all those replies I say; I found after comparing the best brandname, strenght 12,...        ...all of you will love it! 😉

Did I take any of the advise on board? Have I done something with the advise? Did I take some of the advise serious? Why would I look for the strongest coffee if I got suggestions/warnings that it might be not such a wise idea? Come to your own conclusion 🙂 

-  I agree on your word where you bring up that in your married life you come across good looking woman too, every day. I had the same when I was still married. However the key is, when you see those good looking woman, you do not look at them from the perspective to potentially date them. So, I understand what you say, but it is different.

6 hours ago, jwmom said:

If he had left Jehovah but not led an immoral life, would he look similar? 

Immoral life style is also unhealthy so that’s why his looks changed?

(Leaving Jehovah doesn’t equal living immorally. Many non-JWs are living normal lives morally.)

Edited by Hotteok

7 minutes ago, Hotteok said:

...Leaving Jehovah doesn’t equal living immorally. Many non-JWs are living normal lives morally...

Why would someone consider to leave Jehovah anyways?

A friend in the truth told me once something very to the point; There is NO reason to leave Jehovah!

Ones who actually leave Jehovah miss the intention to stick to Jehovah's moral principles.

51 minutes ago, Hotteok said:

Many non-JWs are living normal lives morally.)

I'm not talking about non-jws in general. I'm talking about those that leave Jehovah. There's a difference in their inner person and their outer person reflects that. 

On 6/12/2023 at 6:05 AM, Hotteok said:

...And true beauty lies inside and in our relationships with Jehovah...

Spot on! That is true. Instead of going through the "looks" and the whole discussion about this, why don't you give it a go to look at her heart condition?

Ofcourse we all want the best of the best, and if you get married, ofcourse that sister is the most beautiful woman in the world! (That is a fact and all of us have our desires and wishes like that, it is normal).

However, you may have found that eyeblinding Princess Lipstick! It is fantastic! Two happy people! Oh,...wait...     ...there is something more to this.

Because there is the days after the most wonderful day in your life, the weddingday.

One morning she might wake up very grumpy and you might face a little tornado. Welcome to real life! 😉

Did you investigate in how she treats her family? Because that is how she will treat you.

What do her friends say about her? What are her likes and dislikes? Is she she happy to actually date you too? Or is it "one way traffic" and are you still in your own bubble hoping for the best? She may look fantastic after the makeup session, but will she treat you that "fantastic" too in every day life?

i believe the opposite - the world has very FEW BEAUTIFUL People

the world has promoted looks in social media....so often you only see the BEST

but see them without a filter....oh boy

and the other 95% are plain or ugly or have horrible personalities which make them ugly

and the world led by SATAN - puts HIGH value on LOOKS alone

so those influenced by the world spend inordinate amount of time beautifying themselves

(mature christian avoid excessive 'braiding of external hair' and plastic surgery for looks etc)

Jehovahs people spend time saving lives and helping others

Is a model that much more beautiful than a doctor or emergency responder who just saved your friends and family Life.....NEVER

being married i dont 'really look' but i am amazed at times

i spend lots of time with young men and women @ LDC and DRC projects and even playing sports

they look 'normal' to me - we become friends based on shared experiences

then i see them at a meeting or assembly - and im blown away - they look so good - i dont even recognize them sometimes

almost every assembly or special event i run into friends that are 'fancied up' for the event and they are physically beautiful

...in addition to being spiritually beautiful

on your next vacation - come to Florida - I will introduce you to 100's and 100's of beautiful Christian young men and women

17 hours ago, DarinS said:

i believe the opposite - the world has very FEW BEAUTIFUL People

the world has promoted looks in social media....so often you only see the BEST

but see them without a filter....oh boy

and the other 95% are plain or ugly or have horrible personalities which make them ugly

and the world led by SATAN - puts HIGH value on LOOKS alone

so those influenced by the world spend inordinate amount of time beautifying themselves

(mature christian avoid excessive 'braiding of external hair' and plastic surgery for looks etc)

Jehovahs people spend time saving lives and helping others

Is a model that much more beautiful than a doctor or emergency responder who just saved your friends and family Life.....NEVER

being married i dont 'really look' but i am amazed at times

i spend lots of time with young men and women @ LDC and DRC projects and even playing sports

they look 'normal' to me - we become friends based on shared experiences

then i see them at a meeting or assembly - and im blown away - they look so good - i dont even recognize them sometimes

almost every assembly or special event i run into friends that are 'fancied up' for the event and they are physically beautiful

...in addition to being spiritually beautiful

on your next vacation - come to Florida - I will introduce you to 100's and 100's of beautiful Christian young men and women

I’d love to but I don’t have the money to go to Florida.. haha

but thanks for your wonderful comment!! 
👍👍👍

Korea too 

too many girls do plastic surgery and lost natural beauty. Only sisters have it! 

On 6/12/2023 at 1:05 AM, Hotteok said:

Sometimes I think the world outside of  our organization has more good-looking or attractive people regardless of the gender.

I'm a man so sometimes  I think world girls are prettier than sisters in general, and feeling like an ancient man watching Israel men dying due to Canaanite girls..

(Don't get me wrong, I have zero female friend or acquaintance outside of JW)

I think truly beautiful people are mostly inside our organization however. 

I think sisters too have felt similarly at times.. more pressure for them 

because brothers are fewer and world guys can be very persistent, consistent and genuine too, not spiritual though. 

They deserve rewards for their sacrifices.. I'm sad to see many sisters aging speedily even though they can marry a very decent world man, even though I know bright future awaits them.

Of course, beauty is in the eyes of the beholder, and the perspective changes with age and so on..

And true beauty lies inside and in our relationships with Jehovah. 

I think this can be a statistic thing, in my area, if you compare, is 7.992.000.000 against 8.000.000, it can be look like there's much more attractive people in world, when, in fact, there's just more people in the world. I already heard that Korea has a lot of plastic surgeries culture, while here don't have that much, and when you stop to compare, both sides aren't attractive. Both, both sides aren't that attractive. Women from world can often wear suggestive clothing to make themselves look prettier, and sometimes it really works. About men, I don't know what they do to look attractive, I think they're all ugly. Don't blaming people from my area, but they're "beutifulln't", even I, I don't think I'm that attrictive. I don't have so much attractive traces, but I blast "That's life" from Sinatra and all's good.

(Be careful! The above comment came from a suspicious source, a 20 year old. There's a risk that he is being: Idiot, reckless or stupid)