JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Do you sometimes feel like the world has more good-looking people?

Sometimes I think the world outside of  our organization has more good-looking or attractive people regardless of the gender.

I'm a man so sometimes  I think world girls are prettier than sisters in general, and feeling like an ancient man watching Israel men dying due to Canaanite girls..

(Don't get me wrong, I have zero female friend or acquaintance outside of JW)

I think truly beautiful people are mostly inside our organization however. 

I think sisters too have felt similarly at times.. more pressure for them 

because brothers are fewer and world guys can be very persistent, consistent and genuine too, not spiritual though. 

They deserve rewards for their sacrifices.. I'm sad to see many sisters aging speedily even though they can marry a very decent world man, even though I know bright future awaits them.

Of course, beauty is in the eyes of the beholder, and the perspective changes with age and so on..

And true beauty lies inside and in our relationships with Jehovah. 

7 minutes ago, Hotteok said:

Sometimes I think the world outside of  our organization has more good-looking or attractive people regardless of the gender.

I'm a man so sometimes  I think world girls are prettier than sisters in general, and feeling like an ancient man watching Israel men dying due to Canaanite girls..

because brothers are fewer and world guys can be very persistent, consistent and genuine too, not spiritual though. 

They deserve rewards for their sacrifices.. I'm sad to see many sisters aging speedily even though they can marry a very decent world man, even though I know bright future awaits them.

Of course, beauty is in the eyes of the beholder, and the perspective changes with age and so on..

I do not mean to bust  your bubbles, but I think the sisters are just as pretty as well the females in the world. Where  I live at, females are multiple in different colors than Korea. My five cents brother.

Do you think that maybe it is because worldly girls spend a lot of time, and money, on products that cover their natural beauty, whereas the sisters have better things to do, with both their time and money. 

If you strip off the make-up and and all the other beauty accoutrements that worldly women use, you would find that they are no more physically beautiful than our wonderful sisters and probably less so because they don't have the inner beauty that serving Jehovah gives them.

The Canaanite women used to wear clothes and make-up to make themselves look more alluring - Jezebel is a prime example of this. 

https://www.jw.org/en/library/magazines/wp20121201/use-of-cosmetics-in-the-bible/

Don't give up .. it's just around the corner.

3 minutes ago, GeordieGirl said:

Do you think that maybe it is because worldly girls spend a lot of time, and money, on products that cover their natural beauty, whereas the sisters have better things to do, with both their time and money. 

If you strip off the make-up and and all the other beauty accoutrements that worldly women use, you would find that they are no more physically beautiful than our wonderful sisters and probably less so because they don't have the inner beauty that serving Jehovah gives them.

The Canaanite women used to wear clothes and make-up to make themselves look more alluring - Jezebel is a prime example of this. 

https://www.jw.org/en/library/magazines/wp20121201/use-of-cosmetics-in-the-bible/

That's what I think too, it's amazing how much beauty products and plastic surgery can do for girls beauty-wise.

Same for brothers too, we don't have much time to train our muscles so in general, world guys have better bodies. 

IF this is true in certain areas, one possible REASON for that, would be that attractive people get so much sexualized attention, that they don’t gravitate towards the truth, because those in the world are showering them with attention that they enjoy, and they become more physically-minded and more caught up in the pleasures of the flesh because more opportunities and pressure come their way. 

The truth definitely attracts people who are humble, and often people who are more “plain” and who don’t “stand out” or “turn heads”, are MORE HUMBLE, because those who get tons of WORLDY ATTENTION, it “goes to their head” and inflates their physically-minded EGO

Kind of like how many who are WEALTHY aren’t in the truth. Or those who are FAMOUS, or TALENTED, or INTELLIGENT, or any other physical traits that cause them to be more physically-minded instead of spiritual.

26 minutes ago, Sharkfin182 said:

IF this is true in certain areas, one possible REASON for that, would be that attractive people get so much sexualized attention, that they don’t gravitate towards the truth, because those in the world are showering them with attention that they enjoy, and they become more physically-minded and more caught up in the pleasures of the flesh because more opportunities and pressure come their way. 

The truth definitely attracts people who are humble, and often people who are more “plain” and who don’t “stand out” or “turn heads”, are MORE HUMBLE, because those who get tons of WORLDY ATTENTION, it “goes to their head” and inflates their physically-minded EGO

Kind of like how many who are WEALTHY aren’t in the truth. Or those who are FAMOUS, or TALENTED, or INTELLIGENT, or any other physical traits that cause them to be more physically-minded instead of spiritual.

It’s sad that Jehovah’s gift gets used to draw them away from Him.

I really don't think there is any discernable difference between those inside and outside the organization in terms of physical beauty. 

Remember that Witnesses are a minority group, so you are more likely to know more of any type of person outside than inside. I've known many physically attractive people but most of them are not Witnesses. That's only because I know more non-Witnesses. In my estimation the ratio of attractive people inside vs outside is roughly the same. Same goes for intelligence and talent. In fact, I know only one writer and one artist out of all the people I can think of, and they are both Witnesses in my circuit. 

2 hours ago, GeordieGirl said:

I think this is especially true in South Korea actually. Just based off what I've seen online. https://www.creatrip.com/en/blog/7717. I've never been there but I wonder if people there would seem more good-looking than folks in other countries because of the affordability of plastic surgery and social pressure. 

I view things the opposite: I think most of our sisters are beautiful and the modest way they dress and arrange themselves makes them look attractive and dignified. Many times during a convention people in the area have asked the friends why all JW girls are so beautiful. :)

Many people in the world dress or arrange themselves in a provocative way. Of course those styles are designed to catch your eye and attract attention. But it doesn't mean they are prettier.

Nope. My not in the truth yet husband  used to drive me to the convention. He sat outside and waited for me. He knows Jehovahs people, (specially sisters) are a good looking group! 
I feel the same way. For us all. Brothers and sisters.

The world? It’s like, “anything goes”, and any natural beauty is hid. 

I want to age without sharp corners, and have an obedient heart!

11 hours ago, Hotteok said:

I know you didn't mean to...But, I'm personally insulted by this comment.  Women in the world look at things differently than women in the truth.  I'm not saying they do not have good qualities because they do, I'm speaking in general right now, but they view their physicality as most important and not their character or how god sees them.  I know some very beautiful women(on the outside) and very ugly on the inside.  I feel our sisters work on their character and put on the new personality which is the most beautiful thing in the world.  I'm disheartened that this is even a topic.  

Dance. Even if there's no music. 

Dance Dancing GIF by binibambini

19 minutes ago, jwmom said:

I know you didn't mean to...But, I'm personally insulted by this comment.  Women in the world look at things differently than women in the truth.  I'm not saying they do not have good qualities because they do, I'm speaking in general right now, but they view their physicality as most important and not their character or how god sees them.  I know some very beautiful women(on the outside) and very ugly on the inside.  I feel our sisters work on their character and put on the new personality which is the most beautiful thing in the world.  I'm disheartened that this is even a topic.  

I’m sorry that you feel that way.

I apologize. 

But I made it clear that even physically, the most beautiful ones are in the truth and that true beauty is the spiritual beauty. 

5 minutes ago, Hotteok said:

I’m sorry that you feel that way.

I apologize. 

But I made it clear that even physically, the most beautiful ones are in the truth and that true beauty is the spiritual beauty. 

I appreciate the apology. I guess I just don't understand.

10 minutes ago, jwmom said:

I appreciate the apology. I guess I just don't understand.

There are videos from our organization showings sisters feeling tempted but not giving up when good looking world men seduce them. 

I personally know sisters who gave up and married non-jws. I’ve heard of young sisters complaining casually and jokingly saying brothers look less attractive than world guys. (Not in an insulting manner).

So I think it is an issue among some young people in our organization. 

11 minutes ago, Hotteok said:

I personally know sisters who gave up and married non-jws. I’ve heard of young sisters complaining casually and jokingly saying brothers look less attractive than world guys. (Not in an insulting manner).

I've not heard that.  I have heard sisters say that worldly men seem to be more direct and assertive with what they want and JWs play games or are not sure what they want.  Though that was not my experience when I was dating many years ago, but it seems that things are so different today. Maybe it wasn't just the physical thing that attracted those sisters.

7 hours ago, carlos said:

I view things the opposite: I think most of our sisters are beautiful and the modest way they dress and arrange themselves makes them look and dignified. Many times during a convention people in the area have asked the friends why all JW girls are so beautiful. :)

Many people in the world dress or arrange themselves in a provocative way. Of course those styles are designed to catch your eye and attract attention. But it doesn't mean they are prettier.

Bro Carlos, I agree with you wholeheartedly. I remember my early years of attending meetings and seeing sisters and brothers that was just drop dead gorgeous. I used to say as gorgeous as they are why did they choose Jehovah, they could have anyone in the world that they wanted. That was my mindset then but of course I know why.  Not just the beauty of our brothers and sisters but also, the attitude, morals as in the way they dress, the people in the world that believe they are gorgeous or that is just don't carry themselves in a way that makes them beautiful.

3 hours ago, Hotteok said:

There are videos from our organization showings sisters feeling tempted but not giving up when good looking world men seduce them. 

So I think it is an issue among some young people in our organization. 

I think the difference is that non-JWs are often more experienced, with the ensuing confidence/ assertiveness that may be lacking amongst Witnesses, especially younger ones. Even older ones speak approvingly of brothers with "game" (which usually has a worldly tinge) vs. those without. 😕 Confidence is very attractive to both men and women and it can be expressed in the way one grooms and carries oneself; it's not totally dependent upon one's exact physical appearance. Confidence can add charisma.

Confidence helps a person pay more attention to their appearance, however.  Hair, make-up, clothing style and fit, manner of expression - all can be related to self-confidence, which is not necessarily a bad thing. I believe everyone should pay attention to how they look, if their clothes fit properly and flatter one's shape, if their hair/ make-up is on point. However, those things can demonstrate a lack of modesty and humility, too.  The trick is to examine our OWN standards of what's attractive and what is not and consider if those standards are in line with Jehovah's.  Check 1 Peter 3:3, 4. 

I think that Jehovah's people are the most beautiful on earth - even physically.  Clean living, healthy attitude and hope for the future adds SO much to one's appearance. It gives a bright, open face, a pleasant expression, kind eyes, warm tone of voice... not of the defensive bitterness or arrogant, "I'm all that" persona we see so often amongst influencers and others influenced by them.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Besides, what is often considered "beauty" in the world is nothing but a facade of many, thick layers of makeup (which I personally don't even find pretty). 

If the "inner person" is beautiful, this is also reflected outwardly. Such a person then has a very special charm. For me, this is a thousand times more worth than purely physical good looks.  And regarding this aspect, the most beautiful people (women and men) are found among Jehovah's people.

Chrissy :wave:

Do you sometimes feel like the world has more good-looking people?

I would have to answer no.  I once read what someone, not a Witness said and had a laugh.  She said that 'all the Witnesses were good-looking; they were always smiling, and they all had perfect teeth.'  (Perfect teeth?  Not hardly.)  It might be because Witnesses do care about wearing decent clothes, they care about hygiene, and take care of themselves.  Of course, worldly people may opt for surgery and other things to make themselves look good.

20 hours ago, coony77 said:

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Besides, what is often considered "beauty" in the world is nothing but a facade of many, thick layers of makeup (which I personally don't even find pretty). 

If the "inner person" is beautiful, this is also reflected outwardly. Such a person then has a very special charm. For me, this is a thousand times more worth than purely physical good looks.  And regarding this aspect, the most beautiful people (women and men) are found among Jehovah's people.

You took the words out of my mouth, yes beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Have you ever gotten to know someone and found them even more attractive? JW’s strive to be loving, good, kind and empathetic people, following the fruitage of the spirit, making them a beautiful people 💕

18 hours ago, coony77 said:

YES YES YES !

18 hours ago, coony77 said:

Have you ever gotten to know someone and found them even more attractive? 

I experienced it both ways. After getting acquainted with some I thought they more attractive. Others whom I thought were attractive turned into frogs after getting to know them…hate insulting frogs but I’m sure we get the point 🐸😩

I think the OP may be confusing good-looking with sexually appealing. Many women in the world look more sexually appealing than sisters because, instead of dressing with modesty, they consciously or unconsciously, do exactly the opposite, go to great lengths to highlight their sexual attributes. It's like they are competing to catch your attention. Most sisters don't do that.

Of course, a Christian with his heart in the right place will not find that really attractive but rather off-putting.

At one convention I was travelling to, back in the mid 90's, the roads around the convention site (Warwick Farm Racecourse) was gridlocked. Normally at conventions at this particular ground usually had high amounts of traffic during the convention normally, but this time, it was at a standstill. This was the Friday morning, so you would have the normal peak hour traffic that occured on the roads around the site, but this was on another level.

As I had a UHF CB radio in my vehicle, I tuned into the Convention's frequency channel they used for carparking and security. One of the carpark brothers was wondering how far back the traffic was, so I responded that I was in the traffic about a kilometer or so south from the site and it was backed up as I could see behind me, as I was on top of the rise of the road. They thanked for the heads up, and I found out why they were so slow in taking in vehicles to park on the grounds, apparently there was a event the very night before and just started to pack up their stuff before we got access to the site. So while waiting for the traffic to move, I had used the scanner on the CB to see if other users where saying over the waves.

On one channel, there were a couple of truckies chatting to each other about the gridlock they were in themselves. They hadn't no idea what was causing this. By listening to them, I was able to pinpoint where they were themselves by some of the references they made to each other, which they were on the main road heading south (whereas I was heading north) and one was about 500m or so ahead of the other. As they were making progress about in the traffic, the lead truckie told his truckie mate behind him that he was seeing these beautiful women of all ages in dresses and men in suits, and any with their kids in tow were too nicely dressed up. He was commenting that it wasn't the typical dresses that women wore to the horse races either, but they showed no legs and necklines than the race girls do. He couldn't work out what was going on. His mate said that there was a concert the night, but not something that would attract these type of people.

As time was passing by, the lead driver was describing some of the sisters and saying they truly looked beautiful. As he got to one of the main gates of the facility he saw the signage for the convention. He gets on the radio and says, "Mate, I can see what is going on. It is a Convention of Jehovah's Witnesses! These sheila's are Jehovo's! Man they are beautiful! Who would have thought!"  (Sheila is Aussie slang for women). His mate replied "What! Jehovo's! You got to be kidding?"

Some time had passed and the truckie who was behind was getting closer the the main gates and seeing the sisters walking by got on the radio and said "I see what you mean mate, they are beautiful. I may have to become a Jehovo myself". All you can hear was the lead truckie was laughing over the airwaves.