JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Monday, August 28 I am thirsty.​—John 19:28.

Monday, August 28

I am thirsty.—John 19:28.

After all that Jesus had suffered, he must have been very thirsty. He needed help to quench his thirst. Jesus did not consider it to be a sign of weakness to express how he felt; nor should we. For much of our life, we may have preferred not to tell others about our needs. But if the time comes when we need help, we should not hesitate to ask others for assistance. For example, if we are older or infirm, we may have to ask a friend to give us a ride to a grocery store or to a doctor’s appointment. If we are downhearted or discouraged, we may need to ask an elder or other mature Christian friend to provide a listening ear or to share “a good word” to cheer us up. (Prov. 12:25) Let us remember that our brothers and sisters love us, and they want to help us in “times of distress.” (Prov. 17:17) But they cannot read our minds. They may not know that we need help unless we take the initiative to say something. w21.04 11-12 ¶11-12

You can't walk with God while holding hands with the Devil.

I love this days text as well, my sister. In harmony with the slave's point, I thought of 1 Peter 4:10, which highlights for each one of us our personal responsibility in maintaining and using the gifts Jehovah has given each of us to help our brothers and sisters.

"To the extent that each one has received a gift, use it in ministering to one another as fine stewards of God’s undeserved kindness that is expressed in various ways."

The Greek word rendered "various" here is poikilos...and it denotes shade or color...thus showing us clearly that each of us has a peculiar color or shade of a gift that we bring to our congregations, and we need to make sure we're using our particular shade or color for good, actively seeking out those who may need help.

The simple truth is, all of us have different shades or colors of trials that make us unique as individuals...our trial may be the same TYPE as another Christian's...but because of our individual circumstances and personality it's often presented to us in different shades or colors than others who seem to be dealing with the same TYPE of problem just fine. The very idea of this could be discouraging, because it leaves us feeling that we're the only ones suffering these unique circumstances and in turn...that could cause us to feel alone.

But that is where 1 Peter 4:10 comes into play, Jehovah fully understands every aspect and minute detail of every single trial we face, and through his underserved kindness he often provides JUST the exact shade or color of our trial...and through the use of that same word in that scripture, he often uses our brothers and sisters "gifts" to provide us with that EXACT shade or color. 

In other words, my dear sister, just think of this: In complete harmony with his name, just as Jehovah can CAUSE himself to become whatever he needs to fulfill his word...so too...he can cause our brothers and sisters to rise up and show us their own shades...or colors...and in so doing...he causes THEM...(or us)...to become whatever is needed to fulfill his purpose. Now, with that mouthful said...how important ARE these "gifts" that each of us possess?

Jesus was thirsty, yet he wasn't afraid to reach out and ask for a drink. What blessings are WE missing out on by not reaching out to others who may need our help...or in not reaching out to those who could provide US the exact shade we need to endure just a little bit longer? 

It's Okay (to not be) OKAY! These are tough times - CRITICAL - and so important to reach out for help when we need it. It is not a sign of weakness to ask for help. In fact, it can be a sign of strength and courage.

Daily text - Monday, August 28
"I am thirsty".—John 19:28.

The Bible is what very few want to hear but it's the message that everyone is looking for (Prov. 1:20-23 & 3:5,6).

Exactly Wayne! You should check out a point out Circuit overseer brought out recently under the heading, Encouraging Points From C.O.'s that I posted a little while ago. It's so encouraging to know that's it's okay...to not be okay. We just have to identify it and find scriptural answers for help.

We have had devastating fires in our area. I talked to a sister at the hall that got evacuated.. I asked her how her and her husband were doing .. she said we are doing fine.. I said really.. with a smile on my face.. I said ok.. but now tell me the “ whole “ truth.. she paused and started to cry,  we are struggling … ok my wife and I will be by this afternoon… we went by and had a long talk and what their plans were and how the congregation could help. She said they don’t normally invite anyone over to their home but since I told them we were coming they will start to invite the brothers over.. 

Some times we have to give a gentle push to get our dear brothers and sisters to express their needs.. sometimes we think we are a bother or one of “those” who always have their hand out… we all have a lot to learn.

Zeph 3:17 Jehovah your God is in the midst of you. As a mighty One, he will save. He will exult over you with rejoicing. He will become silent in his love. He will be joyful over you with happy cries....... Love it....a beautiful word picture.

Wow! Thank you for reaching out, Lance. Sometimes the friends think we have enough troubles of our own, they don't want to intrude on our lives or burden us...but the simple truth is, we all stand ready to help in our own ways. So well done on taking the initiative to reach out to her and her family!👏