JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Stock Up Now: Best Buy to End DVD, Blu-Ray Disc Sales in 2024

Not really a surprise but the end of DVD sales is nearing its end. Just like CD sales which Best Buy stopped selling in July of 2018. We still have a DVD player and we purchase DVDS not new but used ones that we find are bargain priced used. Sometimes the internet goes down and you can't stream movies or music. We can also play some of the CDs  we have too. I am sure other retail stores will follow Best Buy not selling DVDS. 

Here is a link to the story Stock Up Now: Best Buy to End DVD, Blu-Ray Disc Sales in 2024 | PCMag

“Don't judge me on my past, I don't live there anymore.”

35 minutes ago, Hope said:

I loved Northern Exposure ♥️. The series soundtrack is amazing, too 😍 

I don't know how I missed it unless something on a different channel got my attention. I love Mad About You but for so reason it makes me miss Rick too much. I think experiencing marriage and its ups and downs through young love stirs alot of emotions I'm not ready to feel.

LeslieDean

Thankful to be among friends everyday!

37 minutes ago, Dages said:

My kids don't know what is a DVD. Everything is online now.

vhs spinning GIF by Anthony Antonellis

Do they know what this is?

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

3 hours ago, Dages said:

My kids don't know what is a DVD. Everything is online now.

All my favorite shows are not available online. 

So either I buy physical media, or skip it completely. Hard choice.

I like Australian Imprint company, they release hard to get blu-rays. 

Recently I was able to get Martian Chronicles with Rock Hudson. 

Also stuff online comes and goes, and could be unavailable to watch. 

I wish they reprinted Louis de Funès movies in English. 

french movie louis de funs GIF

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)

3 hours ago, Tortuga said:

I know! I know! pick me! I know the answer! 

Spoiler

It's a black box recording from the airplane? LOL 🤣

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)

19 hours ago, DancesWithWife said:

Not really a surprise but the end of DVD sales is nearing its end. Just like CD sales which Best Buy stopped selling in July of 2018. We still have a DVD player and we purchase DVDS not new but used ones that we find are bargain priced used. Sometimes the internet goes down and you can't stream movies or music. We can also play some of the CDs  we have too. I am sure other retail stores will follow Best Buy not selling DVDS. 

Here is a link to the story Stock Up Now: Best Buy to End DVD, Blu-Ray Disc Sales in 2024 | PCMag

I stopped buying cassette tapes many years ago and used CDs for music and DVDs for movies.  I made my own CDs and DVDs for a while with recordable media.  I stopped buying DVDs about a decade ago.  My son gave me a bunch of DVDs he no longer wanted.  I have them stored at my house.

18 hours ago, LeslieDean said:

I just bought the box set of Northern Exposure and Mad About You. I never saw Northern Exposure in its first airtime. I am enjoying it throughly.

I really enjoyed Northern Exposure and Mad About You.  People say that Mad About You is more for women than men, but I used to watch the Lifetime Movie Channel.  One woman I worked with once asked me if I watched the Lifetime Movie Channel and then said "No, of course you don't."  I looked around to make sure no one else was close enough to hear and then I quietly told her, "Actually I do watch Lifetime Movie Channel, but don't spread it around."  We then had a discussion about a movie we had both watched.  If I could find Northern Exposure streaming somewhere, I would watch it again.

17 hours ago, LeslieDean said:

I don't know how I missed it unless something on a different channel got my attention. I love Mad About You but for so reason it makes me miss Rick too much. I think experiencing marriage and its ups and downs through young love stirs alot of emotions I'm not ready to feel.

Due to my busy schedule, there were many programs that I never watched until they were in reruns.  I can understand the emotions.  It's like the fact that listening to love songs can actually make you depressed if you are alone as you listen to them.

On 10/15/2023 at 7:06 AM, Tortuga said:

My brother has my grandfather's 8mm films from the 60's. He had taken home movies of the Sydney Opera House when it was first being constructed, and some other scenes of Sydney where you would not even recognise them today.