JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

West Virginia School system mandates Religious Training

David, unless you subscribe to the newspaper you can't read the article. 

I found this paper that doesn't do that. Quite the article, huh? Preventing a Jewish student from leaving? 

https://www.theintelligencer.net/news/top-headlines/2023/10/school-system-mandates-religious-training-as-part-of-lawsuit-settlement/#:~:text=(AP) — A West Virginia,students were required to attend.

Safeguard Your Heart for " Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks" Matthew 12:34

6 hours ago, bagwell1987 said:

David, unless you subscribe to the newspaper you can't read the article.

Interesting, Cheryl. I am not subscribed to David's cited newspaper but I can read it okay. (???) Maybe it's because I'm in Canada? Not sure.

Okay, I just found out: it doesn't work on Microsoft Edge, Google Chrome, or Opera browsers, and likely others too. It does work in Mozilla Firefox (with uBlock Origin addon enabled).

Edited by Sheep

So, the title seems misleading, doesn't the article say the school got in trouble for mandating religious training? Which may have been a misunderstanding anyway?

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

1 hour ago, Sheep said:

Okay, I just found out: it doesn't work on Microsoft Edge, Google Chrome, or Opera browsers, and likely others too.

I was able to read the article just fine with my Edge browser on my PC

This part of the article helps illustrate the imbalance of this system:

As part of the settlement, the families will also receive up to $1 each from the district, and each student plaintiff will receive a $2,000 scholarship from the Freedom From Religion Foundation, the nonprofit that represented them in court. Nearly $175,000 in attorney fees were paid for by the board’s insurer.

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

2 hours ago, Sheep said:

Interesting, Cheryl. I am not subscribed to David's cited newspaper but I can read it okay. (???) Maybe it's because I'm in Canada? Not sure.

Okay, I just found out: it doesn't work on Microsoft Edge, Google Chrome, or Opera browsers, and likely others too. It does work in Mozilla Firefox (with uBlock Origin addon enabled).

Must be me, I use Firefox but a dang pop up kept coming on and I couldn't get rid of it. 🤷‍♂️ oh well.

Safeguard Your Heart for " Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks" Matthew 12:34

OK, so first, the West Virginia Board of Eduction is interesting in terms of our spiritual heritage.... so this post made my ears prick up!

https://www.jw.org/en/news/region/united-states/barnett-anniversary-20180614/

On 10/29/2023 at 1:19 PM, A fellow servant said:

Here is what we have observed many times where our young brothers and sisters are pressured to conform

I think that the mandated religious training is great, and will help our young brothers and sisters in the OP's BoE juristriction.

Here is the lawsuit that was settled:

https://ffrf.org/uploads/legal/Huntington16AmmendedComplaint.pdf

I understand that the policy that the BoE have agreed to regarding mandated religious training is:

https://ffrf.org/uploads/files/CCBOE Policy 8800.01.pdf

On 10/30/2023 at 6:02 AM, Sheep said:

It opens perfectly in Chrome on my Samsung tablet. 

Don't give up .. it's just around the corner.