JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Tablets and Phones - Which to Avoid, which Best to Use

Here in the UK the options on cheaper devices are many, and the usefulness sometimes leave brothers unable to rely on their tablets or phones. It must be the same pretty well everywhere. Is there anyone online with expertise to suggest a priority list of reliable equipment, keeping in mind both cost and ease of use?

That's almost like asking which oil is better for your vehicle or which tires should I use on my motorcycles. The answer can be endless and people are brand loyal. All I will say is make sure whatever device you get has more memory than you'll probably ever need and more space. I've been an Android guy for years, but I also had a iPhone about 10 years ago. I prefer Android. I've seen over the years some of the friends by the cheapest tablets they can get, either no name brands or even brand names that have so little memory and so little space that they're plugged up it just a few months. Especially with all the downloads that we have in our JW library app, they all take up space. So whatever phone you get or whatever tablet you end up with I would go with a minimum of 8 gigs of ram (memory) and no less than 256 of storage. 

Deric, you gave a comprehensive answer but I was hoping for someone who has experience in clear brand identification and use. Apple products always seem at the high end of the reliability spectrum, but are also out of most peoples pockets. I guess it may be too risky to go for pre-owned equipment.

The range of Android hardware varies, with products like Samsung Galaxy at the high end. I wonder whether anyone on the forum has measured our theocratic criteria against the different iOS and Android options.

Personally I'm using a midrange Xiaomi MI 10T Pro with 8GB RAM and 256GB SD memory which costs about US$500 for 3 years now. It came with a 2 year warranty. It displays the JWLibrary bible verses very quickly. I'm very pleased with the phone for running JWLibrary as it is quick.

My wife is happy with a low end OPPO A95 with 8GB RAM and 128GB SD memory which costs about US$240. The price includes 2 year warranty and extra 2 years warranty.  It displays the JWLibrary verses adequately but is a lot slower than the above phone.

I feel the OPPO A95 phone with the Qualcomm SM6115 Snapdragon 662 (11 nm) CPU to be the minimum configuration to run JWLibrary.

The Xiaomi MI 10T Pro phone comes with the Qualcomm SM8250 Snapdragon 865 5G (7 nm+). I find it to be fast in displaying the scriptures on JWLibrary.

We have been using Apple for phone and tablet but Windows for PC.  Currently we have iphone pro 11 phones with 512gb storage.  My husbands ipad is 7th generation with 128gb storage.  When we started using devices for spiritual activities around 10-12 yrs ago we had ipads with only 32gb storage. They proved to be sufficient for quite a number of years.  Back then I had a standard ipad and my husband had a mini.  Both were around $800 each and we bought them new.  We bought iphone 7 in 2017 new and paid around $1000 each.  Now I buy second hand and have never had any issues.  Our phones I bought around 12-18 months ago for $600 each and my husbands current ipad second hand for $300 2 years ago.  I no longer use my ipad which was my brothers and I got it to replace my original ipad though it is only 16gb it superseded my original one.  

So I guess what I am saying is for us Apple is great.  As is necessary with technology we update when possible and within our budget.  So we can continue with Apple I now buy second hand.  In the past when I have been asked I recommend one buy something of quality and quantity (storage) within their budget.  As we update our phones every few years and they are always still current, we pass them on to older bros or relatives.  When Zoom meetings started our HP desktop wasn’t good enough as far as technology so we plugged in a camera and microphone which sufficed.  Then I had PSS on Zoom and I decided to upgrade to a laptop.  I researched and though I can’t remember all the specs I bought an Asus gaming laptop.  This was and still is great for Zoom.  

I upgraded to the Samsung Galaxy Flip 5 today. It's pretty spiffy.. I like how the open screen is nearly as large as my former Note 20 Ultra, but half the size when folded.

Trick now is to get my JW Library sorted and all the stuff from my SD card onto this phone. I will miss the expandable storage but I think 512gb should hold all I need.