JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

2023 Governing Body Update #8 / BEARDS!!!

11 hours ago, Old said:

To a point perhaps but to say the Scriptures did not support arguments against beards was right. The great wisdom in this is where the scriptures are silent so are we.

Will pantsuits be next? 

The scriptures are silent on beards but not on stumbling others. The argument against beards was about stumbling others not about beards themselves. This was explained in the update. Beards at one time were viewed as a sign of rebellion by the world. If we were to have a beard it could have stumbled others. If in the future beards are again viewed that way then we will be cautioned against having beards again. Again timing is everything.

Back in the 1970s, all the white brothers were discouraged from having a mustache.  Most, if not all, of the black brothers had a mustache. One elder gave a talk at a Thursday night meeting, stating that it was OK to have a mustache.  He grew a mustache before the talk.

I have never been very concerned about facial hair.  I grew a beard about 40 years ago but then shaved it off.  I mostly avoided growing a beard because it was frowned upon by the people I might meet in service.   I never felt that there was actually anything wrong with having a beard.

I really didn't want to get in the middle of a beard debate. So I'll throw this in here very gingerly.

Personally, I dislike beards on brothers. But that's partly because of what I came across a few years ago. I think it was about the fall of 2019, and I was waiting for a couple of brothers who were finishing up the last door in a nearby territory. So I did some street work in the meantime in downtown Montreal, and I met a woman perhaps in her 30s and endeavoured to start a conversation with her. As soon as the woman figured out who I was, she thanked me for not wearing a beard! I was a little taken aback by that remark, and of course I had to ask what she meant. It turned out she used to enjoy getting visits from Jehovah's Witnesses and the ensuing conversations she had with them. But she complained that more recently she had seen male Witnesses come to her door with a beard. She made it clear she thought beards on a Christian man were unbecoming, and they made her feel uncomfortable. She said that once when she saw a couple of bearded men from inside the house, and not knowing who they were or what they wanted she declined opening the door. I wasn't sure what to say to her, but I thought honesty would be the best way to handle it. I encouraged her that next time a bearded Witness comes to her door, don't be afraid to answer. I assured her he's not going to bite. And I said she should just be honest, and to tell this person what she had just told me about her feelings on beards. Maybe that would prompt him to think twice about the possible sentiments of perhaps others in that area, and take that into consideration on future outings in service. I didn't know what else to say, but I wasn't about to defend the brothers she had seen about their right to wear a beard. I felt more for the householder who was honest and open enough to tell me her own concerns.

What do you think I should have said/done in that instance?

1 hour ago, Sheep said:

I really didn't want to get in the middle of a beard debate. So I'll throw this in here very gingerly.

Personally, I dislike beards on brothers. But that's partly because of what I came across a few years ago. I think it was about the fall of 2019, and I was waiting for a couple of brothers who were finishing up the last door in a nearby territory. So I did some street work in the meantime in downtown Montreal, and I met a woman perhaps in her 30s and endeavoured to start a conversation with her. As soon as the woman figured out who I was, she thanked me for not wearing a beard! I was a little taken aback by that remark, and of course I had to ask what she meant. It turned out she used to enjoy getting visits from Jehovah's Witnesses and the ensuing conversations she had with them. But she complained that more recently she had seen male Witnesses come to her door with a beard. She made it clear she thought beards on a Christian man were unbecoming, and they made her feel uncomfortable. She said that once when she saw a couple of bearded men from inside the house, and not knowing who they were or what they wanted she declined opening the door. I wasn't sure what to say to her, but I thought honesty would be the best way to handle it. I encouraged her that next time a bearded Witness comes to her door, don't be afraid to answer. I assured her he's not going to bite. And I said she should just be honest, and to tell this person what she had just told me about her feelings on beards. Maybe that would prompt him to think twice about the possible sentiments of perhaps others in that area, and take that into consideration on future outings in service. I didn't know what else to say, but I wasn't about to defend the brothers she had seen about their right to wear a beard. I felt more for the householder who was honest and open enough to tell me her own concerns.

I think you did the right thing. You didn't say beards were right or wrong, just to not be afraid of the person because they carry the same message.

If her viewpoint was a common thought in the territory I can see making an adjustment, but not for a single person. People have all kinds of prejudices and assumptions about what a Christian "should" look like/be and they have to learn to overcome them when they study the Bible. There are just as many people who think you aren't really a man if you don't have a beard. Perspective.

I remember there was an article a few years ago about a woman from a "simple" Christian denomination and she was often stumbled by the Sisters wearing what we would consider to be normal dress clothes, but she considered narcissistic or showy. Over time she realized that there was nothing scriptural about her viewpoint (just like beards).

1 hour ago, Sheep said:

I think you said what needed to be said. 

I used to be in sales. I no longer am. But if I were still in sales, I think I would have to test this out and see if I get more sales with a clean shaved face.

The Hebrew word cushi or kushi is an affectionate term generally used in the Bible to refer to a dark-skinned person of African descent.

It's funny how everywhere people are talking about the beard...

In the Netherlands, it's a few years allready normal to see brothers with responsibilities to have a beard.

Even last summer convention there were brothers on stage with a beard. This was new to me, but an elder told me that the sentence was removed from the convention organization. I know from the Amsterdam region, there were at least 4 convention speakers having a beard.

So, actually, in the Netherlands the only thing that really changed is that special full time servants also can wear a beard now

Verstuurd vanaf mijn ELE-L29 met Tapatalk

12 minutes ago, Tortuga said:

Just for fun, who do you think will be the first brother on JW Broadcasting with a beard?

I think it might be a little while for that. I don’t imagine they will be in the early bunch. 

If it would come through grey like this image filter on me then I might actually go for it finally. 🤷‍♂️😊

IMG-20190515-WA0000_Original.jpeg

Or this. 😊

IMG_9849.jpeg

Edited by Mykyl

On 12/17/2023 at 11:17 AM, Abigail said:

Sounds fair!! If a man is married I think it should be a family decision to wear or not wear a beard.

Why

not troublemongering - just wondering why you think its a family decision instead of personal?

(i don't have to worry - my wife says she would loVe to see me in a beard, but my daughter dislikes the idea.)

---and i do agree that its best if married couples discuss their feeling/preferences....

then again we dont discuss as a family if they should wear or not wear makeup

--i trust them to act modestly and not bring any dishonor to Jehovah's name

we also dont discuss whether my son and i should get a haircut to a certain length

now if we were dressed poorly - it is the obligation of the parents or head of house to address a poor choice in hairstyles or clothing...

but that would apply to modesty, perhaps tight or loose dress or not wearing ripped nor dirty jeans or not to get a worldly fad style haircut

wouldnt a beard be closer to the personal choice of.....do i wear a necktie or a bow-tie

and then the beard wearer should ask - Does THIS beard look modest and is it well groomed.....

18 minutes ago, DarinS said:

Why

not troublemongering - just wondering why you think its a family decision instead of personal?

(i don't have to worry - my wife says she would loVe to see me in a beard, but my daughter dislikes the idea.)

---and i do agree that its best if married couples discuss their feeling/preferences....

then again we dont discuss as a family if they should wear or not wear makeup

--i trust them to act modestly and not bring any dishonor to Jehovah's name

we also dont discuss whether my son and i should get a haircut to a certain length

now if we were dressed poorly - it is the obligation of the parents or head of house to address a poor choice in hairstyles or clothing...

but that would apply to modesty, perhaps tight or loose dress or not wearing ripped nor dirty jeans or not to get a worldly fad style haircut

wouldnt a beard be closer to the personal choice of.....do i wear a necktie or a bow-tie

and then the beard wearer should ask - Does THIS beard look modest and is it well groomed.....

This can be summed up as:  What if your mate has a strong like/dislike of beards.  If it really mattered to her, shouldn't she be part of the discussion?  

On 12/17/2023 at 12:00 PM, DancesWithWife said:

It was nice to have the announcement by the Governing Body read at the end of today's meeting.  There may have been those who have not watched or heard the announcement about beards. They may have seen brothers who were unshaven in the congregation and wondered why. Not everyone is diligent about watching the monthly updates or broadcasts. I am glad it was read at the Weekend Meeting. 

I have it on good authority that we'll be watching this Update during the first Mid-Week meeting in January.  That should clue everyone in.. 😉 

23 hours ago, Tortuga said:

Can you imagine an angel handing you a perfectly cooked steak? I wouldn't hesitate for a second 🤣

And I saw a hand pointing to all sorts of Big Mac's and Whoppers and Double Doubles piled on top of each other.  A voice came out of heaven and said, "Go!  Eat!"

I said "No!  It is forbidden!  We are only to eat products of the dirt"

The voice then said "Why have you declared forbidden what I have given permission to eat?"

And I ate.  And with Jehovah's blessings, the heartburn never came, and I not once ran to the bathroom...

1 minute ago, coolbrz731 said:

And I saw a hand pointing to all sorts of Big Mac's and Whoppers and Double Doubles piled on top of each other.  A voice came out of heaven and said, "Go!  Eat!"

I said "No!  It is forbidden!  We are only to eat products of the dirt"

The voice then said "Why have you declared forbidden what I have given permission to eat?"

And I ate.  And with Jehovah's blessings, the heartburn never came, and I not once ran to the bathroom...

:lol1::lol1::lol1:

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

6 minutes ago, Hope said:

Oh, keep it!  You look SO nice!  Kindly and wise ❤️ 

Thanks! But I actually haven't grown it yet. FaceApp did that for me 😁

Edited by Tortuga
CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

I ordered a beard trimmer set and a beard grooming kit the day of the announcement.

My wife got me this beard kit to support my choice 😄

IMG_20231218_130657733_HDR.jpg

"Laughter cannot mask a heavy heart. When the laughter ends, the grief remains."-Proverbs 14:13 Living Bible Translation