JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

2023 Governing Body Update #8 / BEARDS!!!

29 minutes ago, Cheeks said:

Go Wolverines! emoji23.png

Hey, I'm in the south now, GO ALABAMA ! (kidding ) just like to see a good close game, Go Titans ( where did they go today  👎)Speaking of football and not to go off topic, question to all : How many NFL referees have you seen sporting a beard?  

2023-12-24_18h01_29.png

The Current Stage of Whiskers -0- Rama ! 
 Im not a fan of posting myself online, but from my own hall , I see brothers dont understand they have to shape and trim. Ya gotta start early. At least I think so. 
I say ,  Begin trimming and shaping early my bretheren. Unless you are going for the  mountain man look. Which i do like at times by the way .. Then , ignore what I say ,  and just let 'er' run wild. 

20231222_234339.thumb.jpg.b074c14bb92cfb77507b72036f8f4382.jpg

That looks awesome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just to conclude my suject, I am not against the guidelines and clarifications, not even against those who want to have a beard among our brothers, but as it is difficult to express opinions here it is difficult to maintain a dialogue, because stones fly in our faces, some attack others react negatively, they judge the way of thinking, without trying to understand, mainly because it is a new explanation that needs time for each one to digest, understand, anyway I will leave this topic, my objective was to express my opinion and not attack anyone, we meet on another subject.  Everything is fine!🧑🏻🧔🏻

54 minutes ago, Dhanyel said:

I will leave this topic, my objective was to express my opinion and not attack anyone, we meet on another subject.  Everything is fine!🧑🏻🧔🏻

In a few months the novelty will wear off and the pain of maintaining a nice beard will become too much and they will shave it off. haha.

4 hours ago, Osprey said:

I'm a little surprised and it seems to me kind of funny that so much brothers started growing beard immediately after seeing this update, even before such announcement was read in congregations. Personally even if I wanted to grow a beard I would wait a few weeks. I don't know... to me this looks somewhat immature, like I couldn't wait for this announcement to come soon enough, and now I have to do it the next second that it's allowed. But that's just me, I perfectly respect others that decide differently. >:D<

In my understanding, the update immediately went into effect the second it was posted, not when it was announced at the KH. Why expect brothers to wait for an arbitrary moment? If anything, they are keeping up with the chariot by NOT waiting. 😂

7 hours ago, LeolaRootStew said:

In my understanding, the update immediately went into effect the second it was posted, not when it was announced at the KH. Why expect brothers to wait for an arbitrary moment? If anything, they are keeping up with the chariot by NOT waiting. 😂

Ok, that's fine :wave:

I think one of reasons for this FDS decision is to move this topic away from the discussions, because it is actually not important. Happy for all those that now can make their wishes come true!

Looking forward to meet you in other topics :backflip:

15 hours ago, computerwiz said:

"How should we view a brother who chooses to grow a beard today? The Governing Body does not have an issue with brothers wearing beards. Because the scriptures do not condemn the wearing of beards. Thus, whether a brother wears a beard is a personal decision. A brother's qualifications to serve as an elder or ministerial servant are based on his spirituality, not on whether he chooses to wear a beard.

In harmony with Romans 14:4, neither the elders nor any other Christian should feel compelled to judge a brother who chooses to wear a beard. How should we view a brother who decides to grow a beard? Apply Jesus' counsel at John 7:24: "Stop judging by the outward appearance".

And thus what IMHO appears to be interesting is that the previous 'stumbling clause' has now evidently been removed.... will that now have a 'knock-on' effect in other situations?

Stephen Lett: Never Be a Cause for Stumbling (2 Cor. 6:3) October 2016 (from 5:50 min mark)

But now, what about in an area where we have a Scriptural right to do something? Now, surely exercising that right, if it stumbles someone, we can’t be held accountable for that, can we? Well, open up to 1 Corinthians chapter 8, and here — very interestingly — this scripture answers that question. 1 Corinthians 8:9, it says:  “But keep watching that your right to choose does not somehow become a stumbling block to those who are weak.” Isn’t that interesting? Even our right to choose, if it would stumble someone, we wouldn’t exercise that right  according to this scripture. The apostle Paul, in verse 13 of that same chapter, he said he wouldn’t even eat meat ever again if it stumbled his brother. Well, like Paul, are we willing to forgo our rights regarding, for example, wearing a beard, wearing heavy makeup, using alcohol — as just a few examples — if exercising that right might even possibly stumble someone?

https://www.jw.org/en/library/videos/#en/mediaitems/VODPgmEvtMorningWorship/pub-jwbmw_201610_1_VIDEO

16 hours ago, Dhanyel said:

it is becoming a fad very quickly, here in the congregation we already have about 16 brothers who have decided to grow a beard, although it is not wrong in my opinion view, caution must be exercised

Really what was to be expected?

While it was thought that 'peak beard' had been reached around 2013, the beards popularity has simply continued to increase.

https://www.theguardian.com/fashion/2013/jul/24/have-we-reached-peak-beard

And now, today?.....

Most British men now have facial hair - September 2023

YouGov's latest poll finds that most men now say they currently sport some form of facial hair, up from 42% in 2016 and 37% in 2011.

Full growth has now fully supplanted stubble as the top choice among men with facial hair. Currently 34% of men say they have a beard and moustache, compared to 13% who have stubble, 4% a beard only, and 2% a moustache only.

Facial hair is particularly fashionable among those aged 18-39. Fully seven in ten men in this age group have some form of facial hair (69%), with a beard and moustache being the most common (42%).

https://yougov.co.uk/society/articles/47434-most-british-men-now-have-facial-hair

5 hours ago, Parale said:

And thus what IMHO appears to be interesting is that the previous 'stumbling clause' has now evidently been removed.

Stephen Lett: Never Be a Cause for Stumbling (2 Cor. 6:3) October 2016 (from 5:50 min mark)

But now, what about in an area where we have a Scriptural right to do something? Now, surely exercising that right, if it stumbles someone, we can’t be held accountable for that, can we? Well, open up to 1 Corinthians chapter 8, and here — very interestingly — this scripture answers that question. 1 Corinthians 8:9, it says:  “But keep watching that your right to choose does not somehow become a stumbling block to those who are weak.” Isn’t that interesting? Even our right to choose, if it would stumble someone, we wouldn’t exercise that right  according to this scripture. The apostle Paul, in verse 13 of that same chapter, he said he wouldn’t even eat meat ever again if it stumbled his brother. Well, like Paul, are we willing to forgo our rights regarding, for example, wearing a beard, wearing heavy makeup, using alcohol — as just a few examples — if exercising that right might even possibly stumble someone?

https://www.jw.org/en/library/videos/#en/mediaitems/VODPgmEvtMorningWorship/pub-jwbmw_201610_1_VIDEO

Basically you are correct. Keep in mind that was 7 years ago. A lot changes in 7 years. The beards & congregation privileges issue has been coming up again and again for the last couple decades, but we still clung to the principle about not potentially stumbling others as the reason not to grow a beard. In some countries, facial hair became culturally acceptable faster than in other countries. This is why we were told that it depends on your local culture and up to the local elders to decide.

In reality, nobody on the face of the planet actually cared except for these older generation JW's who had lived most of their adult lives with the "beards may stumble someone" mentality. And as it turns out, this desire to "not potentially stumble someone" was actually the very thing doing the stumbling.

CarnivoreTalk.com - my health coaching website. youtube.png/@CarnivoreTalk - My latest YouTube project

1 minute ago, Brother_Bliss said:

Basically you are correct. Keep in mind that was 7 years ago. A lot changes in 7 years. The beards & congregation privileges issue has been coming up again and again for the last couple decades, but we still clung to the principle about not potentially stumbling others as the reason not to grow a beard. In some countries, facial hair became culturally acceptable faster than in other countries. This is why we were told that it depends on your local culture and up to the local elders to decide.

In reality, nobody on the face of the planet actually cared except for these older generation JW's who had lived most of their adult lives with the "beards may stumble someone" mentality. And as it turns out, this desire to "not potentially stumble someone" was actually the very thing doing the stumbling.

Correct.  Although I might add that I've had facial hair since around 2019 and it was a bit irritating to see a few of the "younger generation" asking me (short of ordering me) to go "shave that thing off."  It was a bit of a relief when the update came. 

8 minutes ago, Brother_Bliss said:

Well said! 👏

16 hours ago, computerwiz said:

Personally, I'd look at brothers who were once strongly opposed to beards, now growing their own, as being very positive. They are not letting old prejudices get in the way. And they are keeping up with Jehovah's chariot.

1 minute ago, Parale said:

Most British men now have facial hair - September 2023

On 12/23/2023 at 10:20 PM, Tortuga said:

Today's Beard count:
Elders - 2
MS - 5 (maybe 6)
Pubs - 2

So, perhaps, count the brothers who choose to remain clean-shaven, instead?.....

A few in my hall are annoyed.

I had a brother mention to me  how the beards would offend little old ladies at the door. I said ,How many little old ladies are coming into the truth ?! Lol  Ohhh, i know there are some , but in my area ..... Little old ladies are staying Baptist and they aint changing . Lol HAHHAHHAHAHA

And when them little old ladies go to the grocery store and the cashier guy has a beard.  I dont see them running for the hills scared ,as if from a monster man. No , that ship has sailed. 

So many brothers ( myself included) are joyful and appreciative to Jehovah for this adjustment. 

5 hours ago, JonE said:

The sweet spot would be a month before the video was posted. 

I was sick for 3 weeks, so I had a head start. Brothers and sisters see my facial hair and are like "Man that was fast!" lol :D

34 minutes ago, Tsheppar said:

Little old ladies are staying Baptist

... and in a baptist congregation full of beards. The head honcho, whatever the baptists call him, probably sports one too, lol.

CarnivoreTalk.com - my health coaching website. youtube.png/@CarnivoreTalk - My latest YouTube project

On 12/25/2023 at 2:19 PM, Esined said:

but my mom is only 73 now along with many others from that generation who are still very much alive and kicking. 

On 12/20/2023 at 4:55 PM, Tortuga said:

Did you know that BEARD, BREAD and BARED all use the same letters?

That's amazing!

I chose not to take the attorney's exam  b/c I was afraid they would DEBAR me. You know, those bearded ones.