JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

The Fishkill Bethel

Town of Fishkill, New York, U.S.A., Gives Approval for New Support Center of Jehovah’s Witnesses

https://www.jw.org/en/news/region/global/Town-of-Fishkill-New-York-USA-Gives-Approval-for-New-Support-Center-of-Jehovahs-Witnesses/

In the following topic, there was a lot of discussion about the destination of Fishkill Bethel:

I honestly didn't even remember that these facilities existed.

But I was happy to know the destination of these buildings.

I also found it interesting that it is called Fishkill's Bethel. 

In the United States, in which cities are there facilities called Bethel today?

2 hours ago, Araujo JW said:

I also found it interesting that it is called Fishkill's Bethel. 

At the 2023 Convention held at the Newburgh Assembly Hall, New York, from 12 to 14 May 2023, a couple of speakers where introduced as being from the Fishkill Bethel.....

On Friday afternoon we had "Fishkill New York Bethel"....

image.png.40047821213f6be7e590485924843c8a.png

And on Saturday afternoon we had "Fishkill Bethel"....

image.png.0cf61156189bfb8aa550a5ff7207bf3a.png

In addition, Gage Fleegle referenced the "Fishkill Bethel" during his talk on Friday afternoon

image.png.3797baeb3963aef24e44e0cf5390a95f.png

I'm interested in the origin of place names and wondered why a town would be called 'Fishkill"

"The name Fishkill evolved from two Dutch words, “vis” (fish) and “kil” (stream or creek). Dutch immigrants, in the year 1714, searching for an acceptable location to settle and prosper, chose the area in and around the modern Village of Fishkill."

Source

3 hours ago, Araujo JW said:

But I was happy to know the destination of these buildings.

I believe the original Fishkill was dedicated in October 2017, listen from around the 1 hour, 9 minute mark here:

31 minutes ago, SteveAus said:

"The name Fishkill evolved from two Dutch words, “vis” (fish) and “kil” (stream or creek). Dutch immigrants, in the year 1714, searching for an acceptable location to settle and prosper, chose the area in and around the modern Village of Fishkill."

Interesting.... there's a fair amount of Dutch influence all around that general area.

1 hour ago, Brandon said:

Check this page for numbered list:  https://jwiki.miraheze.org/wiki/USA

and for a map: https://jwiki.miraheze.org/wiki/US_Bethel_tours

It doesn't list Fishkill, though it was originally dedicated in October 2017, and is referred to specifically as Fishkill Bethel in the Watchtower Online Library / JW.org.

That might be because the jwiki page seems to only list facilities that offer public tours?

Also that page has not been updated for around five years now?....

Edited by Parale

2 hours ago, SteveAus said:

I'm interested in the origin of place names and wondered why a town would be called 'Fishkill"

Source

Other towns, rivers and mountains are called with similar endings.  The Catskill mountains and all of these cities:

Bushkill, Schuykill, Cresskill, Cobleskill, Fishkill Plains, Peekskill, Plattekill, Poestenkill, Wallkill, West Kill, Wynanstkill...

It is a pretty common Dutch occurrence.

1 hour ago, jwhess said:

Other towns, rivers and mountains are called with similar endings.  The Catskill mountains and all of these cities:

Bushkill, Schuykill, Cresskill, Cobleskill, Fishkill Plains, Peekskill, Plattekill, Poestenkill, Wallkill, West Kill, Wynanstkill...

With time to kill, I had to look those names up :)

"Catskill - The origin of the name Catskill is somewhat contentious. It has long been argued that the name is derived from Kaaterskill (Dutch: “Wildcat Creek”), as one of the better-known nearby streams is called (probably because of the presence of bobcats)

Schuylkill -  means “hidden river,” 

Bushkill -  a Dutch word meaning bushy stream

Cresskill - This town got its name from "Cress", referring to the watercress that grew in its streams, and "Kill", referring to the stream passing through

Cobleskill - Named after Jacob Kobel, an early Palantine German settler. The creek on which he lived became known as Cobus Kill by Dutch residents, and soon, the nearby community was called Cobleskill

Peekskill - Its name derives from Jan Peek, a Dutchman who established a trading post in 1654 at the point where a kil (Dutch for “channel,” or “creek”) joins the Hudson

Plattekill - The name is a Dutch word meaning "flat brook"

Poestenkill - comes from the Dutch and means "foaming creek.

Wallkill  - means Wall River. We find it called “Walls River in the Guilford Patent in 1685 and sometimes it was called the “Paltz” River. Our explanation is that “Walls” River meant Walloon's River.

Wynanstkill - The stream is named after Wijnant Gerritsen van der Poel (1617–1699), a Dutch cabinet maker from Meppel who owned a sawmill on it in the 1650s"

We were able to meet some from Fishkill bethel back in 2019 while visiting during the convention series. I think branches in the US have names to set them apart easily. This branch in particular we found mostly had to do with the Family Care department from our understanding. 

12 hours ago, SteveAus said:

With time to kill, I had to look those names up :)

"Catskill - The origin of the name Catskill is somewhat contentious. It has long been argued that the name is derived from Kaaterskill (Dutch: “Wildcat Creek”), as one of the better-known nearby streams is called (probably because of the presence of bobcats)

Schuylkill -  means “hidden river,” 

Bushkill -  a Dutch word meaning bushy stream

Cresskill - This town got its name from "Cress", referring to the watercress that grew in its streams, and "Kill", referring to the stream passing through

Cobleskill - Named after Jacob Kobel, an early Palantine German settler. The creek on which he lived became known as Cobus Kill by Dutch residents, and soon, the nearby community was called Cobleskill

Peekskill - Its name derives from Jan Peek, a Dutchman who established a trading post in 1654 at the point where a kil (Dutch for “channel,” or “creek”) joins the Hudson

Plattekill - The name is a Dutch word meaning "flat brook"

Poestenkill - comes from the Dutch and means "foaming creek.

Wallkill  - means Wall River. We find it called “Walls River in the Guilford Patent in 1685 and sometimes it was called the “Paltz” River. Our explanation is that “Walls” River meant Walloon's River.

Wynanstkill - The stream is named after Wijnant Gerritsen van der Poel (1617–1699), a Dutch cabinet maker from Meppel who owned a sawmill on it in the 1650s"

You forgot kill. Kill - to cause the death of a person, animal, or plant. 

On 12/29/2023 at 5:54 PM, Parale said:

I believe the original Fishkill was dedicated in October 2017, listen from around the 1 hour, 9 minute mark here:

Thank you very much! I had forgotten this detail.

As a Dutch person myself, its funny to see the Dutch language influence there
Even though we don't use "kil" anymore, the other words are still recognizable. For example:
Schuyl = (ver)schuil = hidden

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-S911B met Tapatalk

6 hours ago, Sepie93 said:

As a Dutch person myself, its funny to see the Dutch language influence thereemoji1787.png
Even though we don't use "kil" anymore, the other words are still recognizable. For example:
Schuyl = (ver)schuil = hidden

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-S911B met Tapatalk

Many non-New Yorkers (or Dutch speakers)  won't know the word is pronounced "Skile" or "Skyle".

Sorry if we Americans mess it up.

On 1/9/2024 at 1:31 PM, vern said:

all the comments and still don't understand what this place is for.  just housing older brothers and sisters that retired from service ?

My understanding is it's partly that, a nursing home for elderly ones that were in full-time service, and then there's also an IT center which handles Bethel computer services and tech support. There's actually a big expansion of the Fishkill facilities planned. https://www.jw.org/en/news/region/global/Town-of-Fishkill-New-York-USA-Gives-Approval-for-New-Support-Center-of-Jehovahs-Witnesses/ 

We know a brother that is helping to replace the appliances in the apartments. His family told me that everyone is excited to see him coming because it means they are getting new appliances.

👍🏼🤣

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

1 hour ago, Tortuga said:

We know a brother that is helping to replace the appliances in the apartments. His family told me that everyone is excited to see him coming because it means they are getting new appliances.

👍🏼🤣

I sent him this scripture....😁

"And he will wipe out every tear from their eyes, and old appliances will be no more, neither will old refrigerators nor old washers nor old dryers be anymore. The former things have been hauled away.” And the One standing at the door said: “Look! I am bringing all things new.” Also he says: “Be happy, for these appliances are beautiful too.” - Revelationish 21:4,5

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D