JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Who has experience with eSIM cards

Hello everyone, in addition to the classic SIM cards for mobile phones, there are now also the more practical eSIM cards, which are helpful for stays abroad and cheaper than any data packages from your own mobile phone provider. I've already watched a few videos on YouTube about this, and it seems to be really easy to buy and activate an eSIM card online even before you travel, so that it works from the moment you arrive in your vacation destination. Nevertheless, I don't want to rely just on these videos and therefore ask you if anyone has already had a personal experience and would like to share it. Thank you.

Edited by coony77

Chrissy :wave:

Yes.
We used eSim on our phone when we travelled to Europe.
No complaints.
As there is no physical card, we did it all online - and basically, we were up and running (unlimited EU voice and some data) when we hit Europe.
The plans are confusing. The country list can be different between providers.
If you are coming from the States, Google seems to have a data plan that seems reasonable, too.
(As we are not US based - this was not an option for us.)
We kept our existing sim in, so we did not have to lose or change any settings.
We had 'French' area code numbers. The beauty was that we could ring each other (extended family went OS - 6 phones) almost whenever and wherever we went within the EU.
The data was limited, so most of the 'social' posts were done at the accommodation on the free WiFi.
From memory, the first month 'deal' was better than the 2nd month, which had less data.
There are Europe deals, UK deals, and Asia deals - depending where you go - check the fine print.
I shopped around and settled on one carrier. I then went directly to their website to order the eSim, as I am sure there may be traps out there.
Also, be aware of what currency they are quoting. Some are in Euro, some in USD.
I'm happy to answer any questions.
Have a great time.

Old (Downunder) Tone

When we went to Bali last year I looked into esim for us.  We have Iphone 11 pro and though the phones are compatible, our provider sim is not.  We have Aldi sim which uses the Telstra(Aus) network.  Telstra is esim supported but for some reason Aldi does not support esim yet. So we couldn’t use esim and had to purchase sim cards for the local network in Bali.  Something to keep in mind too is because whatsapp runs off internet your whatsapp number stays the same.  

5 hours ago, Brandon said:

@hatcheckgirl you’ve never purchased something in a foreign currency? 

Isn’t the context here about traveling 🤣

I didn’t phrase that correctly. How does Airalo work? I’ll look into it later closer to the date. Would rather purchase a provider in AUS$, that’s all, because then I know it’s not a foreign company I’m dealing with.

As for travelling, yes. Before the pandemic I used Vodafone roaming as part of my plan at $5 a day, which suited me and covered international calls and sms as well (which Airalo doesn’t, only sms). My last overseas trip to Malaysia last August I had to purchase a SIM card at Kuala Lumpur airport, which was fiddle, as you have to make sure you don’t lose the normal nano sim for use back in Australia. Then when I arrived back in Perth, I didn’t have that little instrument to eject the physical SIM card and swap mine back, so I couldn’t call an Uber or anyone. Yes, trying not to do that again.

Which is why I’ll be using a eSIM when I do travel next.

eSim is super easy. You also leave the existing sim in, so back home - you don't miss a beat. From memory, there is a phone setting where you nominate the 'primary' sim. Just change the setting when you return home to set your home carrier as the priority.
My eSim automatically expired...

Foreign exchange rates can skew the rates somewhat.
There are some options. I have a travel 'debit' card which I load up. I'm not sure how many currencies it can hold, but I think it is at least 5.
So I buy USD and/or € when the price is right. I then use this card on the official carrier website - even if it is based OS. (I look for the security lock on the Web browser).
Or you could simply use your bank credit card on the site, and they will use their own calculations for the exchange. I don't like sharing my number online, so I prefer a separate card for travel.
I found this easy to extend your stay, or top up your data, as the card is already on their file.
Once I bought a sim at the foreign airport as I landed. I have since learned that inserting a foreign country's sim, 'could' introduce malware. I am especially wary of certain regimes where data mining is rife.
I also became aware of 2 other pitfalls.
1. Don't use airport/free use charge stations without a physical data block on the lead.
2. Don't accept free 'usb' sticks with maps and/or apps on it, as they too can introduce unwanted malware.

Have a fun trip!

Old (Downunder) Tone

We used Airalo when we visited the States (from Poland). We used it for data and made calls using WhatsApp.

We have a multicurrency credit card from our bank so all exchange rates are normal and without additional fees. That’s why it wasn’t an issue to buy USD ftom our PLN card.

(Tapatalk)

🙏 Thank you! 🙏