JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

WBBR - JW Broadcasting

A beautiful article about the launch of the first radio station on Staten Island, NY dedicated to spreading the Good News.

Quote:  "Since the Lord has permitted the radio to come to light at this time, it surely is His good pleasure that it should be used to teach the people concerning the fulfillment of His great prophecies".  J.F. Rutherford

Highlights:   There was an average of 1,064 Bible Student's in the entire USA at the time, February 1924.

Brother Frederick Franz sang "The Penitent".  A narrative of the prodigal son.  Written in 1889 by Herbert H. Booth.

Sister Cora Wellman sang "The Ninety and Nine".   I googled for the lyrics to this one.  Written in 1868 by a Scottish poet, Elizabeth Clephane.

You will enjoy reading or listening to this article !!!

Edited by Doug

You know, I was wondering why we can't have a radio station now,since we already have a tv station?

Might the WBBR radio station have a comeback?

I think it will be especially useful now both for witnessing and in encouraging the brotherhood.

Ive not been able to have access to the jw TV station on free to air but a radio station will be more accessible to a lot more brothers I guess.

Many people get our Broadcasts by internet delivery.  One station, one presentation goes around the world.  If we used radio broadcasts, we would have to have a station built every 500-1000 miles.  We would need hundreds of stations, with many brothers presenting the same information.  We would be subject to weather and atmospheric disturbance.  Plus, we would need to buy separate licenses in every country (with the possibility that we would be refused).

Internet / Wifi is better for our use in general.

I am a licensed radio operator & engineer (both commercial and amateur).

Has the idea in this qoute changed?

I imagine in 1924, it was more accurate than today, as it was the best way to get the message out there other than print.
(There was also the 'Photo Drama of Creation', although that was very labour intensive and expensive.)

Radio still has a place in some territories, as the memorial and special talks were broadcast to millions, in the past few years.

I see the internet as probably getting the widest coverage, but in some areas, that is not cheap. Hence, it appears satellites and radio fill this gap - where the cost is carried by the Organisation.

What a progressive organisation we belong to. One that is watching out for us, to make sure we are all fwd spiritually! Very faithful and discreet.

Old (Downunder) Tone

One difficulty with the means of communication today is the use of a global resource to do it. Radio stations were more local, and some individuals were able to set up radio communication facilities for themselves. With JW.Org we are international and reliant on the internet.

One of the problems with webs, is the unseen creature waiting for a victim.

We used to run TV ads in certain places too. I don’t know if they are still doing that or not. :popcorn:

"If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem." (tu)  

All spelling and grammatical errors are for your enjoyment and entertainment only and are copyright Burt, aka Pjdriver.

Our film movie "Heritage" was designed to run on TV stations in the US to help fill their need to show some broadcasting time for public education.  It is part of the FCC regulations.  We furnished a half-hour pre-made video ready for broadcast.

If you haven't seen the movie, it is well worth watching if for no other reason than to see what we were capable of making in 1960.

1 minute ago, jwhess said:

Our film movie "Heritage" was designed to run on TV stations in the US to help fill their need to show some broadcasting time for public education.  It is part of the FCC regulations.  We furnished a half-hour pre-made video ready for broadcast.

If you haven't seen the movie, it is well worth watching if for no other reason than to see what we were capable of making in 1960.

Do you have a copy?

3 minutes ago, Landon1285 said:

Do you have a copy?

Yes, the one I have used up to now was copied off of a live broadcast on TV.  But just recently I received a new copy that may be better.  I have not viewed it yet.  Did you want to see this 60 year old Watchtower movie?