JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Our Bible - is there a widget available for phone?

I am not sure if I am even asking the question correctly... I tried to search on the site but came up empty.  I have JWLibrary on my phone (android) and it takes a little bit to load but when I want to just quickly pull up the Bible it feels like it takes a really long time (ie informal witnessing).  Is there a widget for just the Bible? Is that a thing?

The WOL app opens up with the Daily Text first,  just as fast as a widget. 

if you just want the Bible you can tap on the Bible icon and it opens to the Bible books immediately. 

I find this app as fast as a widget and all in one place. 

I use it also for the meetings, etc

One small crack doesn't mean you are broken; it means that you were put to the test and didn't fall apart..

1 hour ago, dove said:

The WOL app opens up with the Daily Text first,  just as fast as a widget. 

if you just want the Bible you can tap on the Bible icon and it opens to the Bible books immediately. 

I find this app as fast as a widget and all in one place. 

I use it also for the meetings, etc

Pls send a link. I am not able to trace

It. 

With WOL you need an internet connection (unless you are using a cell phone).  With JW Library yo can use it in a metal lined locked room.

I very seldom turn my device off during the day.  I just blank the screen (sleep).  So my Bible is always "up" when the screen is "on".  No widget needed.

On my Ipad mini I just push the 'home' button and the Bible appears.  I know many newer models don't have a home button.

37 minutes ago, NW2020 said:

if I were to leave the JW Library open will that drain the battery faster

Most apps nowadays go to sleep when you blank the screen - they draw very little power in this state. You could run a crude trial:

1. Close JW Library. Let your phone sit all night, and notice the change in battery level - say it dropped 10%.

2. Next night, leave JW Library running in background. Again, let phone sit all night and notice change in battery level. If it is still around 10-11% change, then you know JWL is not draining your battery much.

Also, newer Android systems track power usage for your apps. Open Settings, Look for "Battery and Device Care". Tap the "battery" button and scroll down until you see a list of apps. These will be the apps using the most battery. 

16 hours ago, foghorn said:

Most apps nowadays go to sleep when you blank the screen - they draw very little power in this state. You could run a crude trial:

1. Close JW Library. Let your phone sit all night, and notice the change in battery level - say it dropped 10%.

2. Next night, leave JW Library running in background. Again, let phone sit all night and notice change in battery level. If it is still around 10-11% change, then you know JWL is not draining your battery much.

Also, newer Android systems track power usage for your apps. Open Settings, Look for "Battery and Device Care". Tap the "battery" button and scroll down until you see a list of apps. These will be the apps using the most battery. 

Wonderful!! I will give that a try.  Thank you so much!

8 hours ago, Old Guy said:

You might want to give floating bible (search Google app store) a try. It uses NWT, Daily Text and songbook. I like the way it finds bible verses.

It can also scan a PDF and locate all the scriptures and link them to popup when reading the text.

Wow! That would be great fantastic! I will take a look and see what I can find. Thank you 🙂

9 hours ago, Old Guy said:

You might want to give floating bible (search Google app store) a try. It uses NWT, Daily Text and songbook. I like the way it finds bible verses.

It can also scan a PDF and locate all the scriptures and link them to popup when reading the text.

Found it!! Being a little app adverse I so hope that this is a source I can trust cuz I am super pleased ... plus the daily text and the bonus of the songbook lyrics... wow !! how great is that?! - it is just what I needed when I didnt know I needed that - perfect for those quiet times where I can now cement the words to the melodies I know !!

Thank you so much for pointing me in the right direction 🙂

I'v followed this app literally for years. It respects all legal rights of the WTB&TS. You probably would never find it unless someone shared it's existence with you.

If you find it helpful, share it with others.

You might want to explore AreaStudio's other apps - TheoPubsFeeder, and Talk & Note - available on Google's App Store.

7 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

I'v followed this app literally for years. It respects all legal rights of the WTB&TS. You probably would never find it unless someone shared it's existence with you.

If you find it helpful, share it with others.

You might want to explore AreaStudio's other apps - TheoPubsFeeder, and Talk & Note - available on Google's App Store.

The other apps might not work on newer android devices.