JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Hello brothers
I have a problem with JWL on Windows (only one laptop)
For several versions back, the program has not downloaded publications, video and audio. I have checked the settings several times. There were also two updates in the Microsoft Store but nothing helped. If I delete a book or a songbook, I have to download it from the website to load it into JWL.

I do not want to uninstall the program because I have a lot of publications whose source files I no longer have, e.g. from courses or trainings with my notes. Maybe you can suggest something or maybe someone knows where JWL stores the files. Maybe it is enough to delete a file, as with errors with WTL. I would be grateful for any idea

Is there a virus protection program that may be blocking JWL from accessing the internet?

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

19 minutes ago, manieq said:

Hello brothers
I have a problem with JWL on Windows (only one laptop)
For several versions back, the program has not downloaded publications, video and audio. I have checked the settings several times. There were also two updates in the Microsoft Store but nothing helped. If I delete a book or a songbook, I have to download it from the website to load it into JWL.

I do not want to uninstall the program because I have a lot of publications whose source files I no longer have, e.g. from courses or trainings with my notes. Maybe you can suggest something or maybe someone knows where JWL stores the files. Maybe it is enough to delete a file, as with errors with WTL. I would be grateful for any idea

What kind of device?  Which operating system are you using?  What version of the OS (like Android 7 or Windows 10 home)?  What version of JWL are you running? This information helps others understand where you are and what problems might be known in your circumstances.

Generally deleting a publication and downloading it again will refresh the hidden catalog file that you are asking about, but if you can't download any publications, then something else is wrong. The information that John asked for will help. Besides that, are you able to create a backup of the Personal Study information? 

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

Your publications/jwpubs would be in your download folder. 

Music is in the music folder (folder is named JW Library) 

Video is in the video folder (folder is named also named JW Library). 

In windows under settings and then Apps and installed apps you have a few options (try repair and or terminate):

image.thumb.png.812ec29b944ae78444c3fb9d41716d50.png

Hello,

Please check Windows Services (type "Services" in Start)

Check WpnService (Windows Push Notifications System Service) if it is Running and have Automatic startup type.

Once I rtied to disable unused services on cheap brother`s laptop and spent hours to find out why JW Library stopped update. 🙃

Make sure that your download folders are set correctly in the app settings. Sometimes these can get messed up, I've seen issues where even uninstalling and reinstalling doesn't fix it and I had to create a new user account.
image.png.d2ee46270291903bedc64e3e7e14b050.png

15 hours ago, manieq said:

For several versions back, the program has not downloaded publications, video and audio.

Please clarify, are new publications not showing up on the home page or are they showing up but don't download? 

Posted (edited)

Hello
Thank you for many suggestions

• I have a firewall but it is managed centrally and on other computers the same policy does not block anything. Additionally, I turned it off from the console for a moment but it did not help
  • The problem concerns Windows 11 23H2
    JWL version 14.3.45 (429479)
  • I can create a backup file and restore it without a problem
  • The repair option from Windows level did not change anything
  • The WPN service works automatically
  • The latest publications appear in the what's new section but I cannot download them. In the case of vieo, the program asks about the quality and then spins for a while and that's it Nothings is happening

This video shows what is happening

Edited by manieq

Following because I am having the exact same issue.  :(  I've installed and re-installed twice.  A couple of items will download but the majority will not, the little circle just keeps spinning.  And nothing will update.  I appreciate you good brothers who can help.. ❤️ 

FYI - I'm on a spiffy new ASUS Vivobook, just purchased in May.  Running Windows 11 and every other app/ download, etc., works very well.  I just can't get JW Library to work properly.

Edited by Hope

I have experienced this problem in the past a few times.

It resolved for me by 1. updating the JW Library app; 2. updating the operating system; 3. leaving the device run for a while. It was a case of either or all options until the system started working again.

Once, I had to back up my Personal Study notes to email and send to myself. Then completely delete JWLibrary (Revo Uninstaller to delete all leftovers), then fresh install the app. I had to check the settings and download some publications, but once I installed the backup file, everything was back to normal.

On 8/20/2024 at 3:46 PM, manieq said:

The latest publications appear in the what's new section but I cannot download them. In the case of vieo, the program asks about the quality and then spins for a while and that's it Nothings is happening

That is odd. I have had that happen with one or two publications in the past, but I think the problem was their end, I was able to eventually download them.

One time I had a similar problem and as Myew suggested, the file path for Music/Video was incorrect, but that didn't affect the publications.

I wish I could help but I'm not an IT guy.

I'm curious, did the problem start after a Windows update?

Have you tried to check if the 'Offline  Mode' toggle is set to off in you library app? Also if your JWL app is accessing the internet, it should show the 'JW Library Download/Upload Host' in your task manager whenever you start a download in the app.

JWL.png

• 2 weeks later...