JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Hospitals are Urged to Avoid Blood Transfusions

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 4222 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

http://www.smh.com.au/national/health/surgeons-urged-to-avoid-transfusions-20121001-26vgf.html

SURGEONS are being urged to cut their use of blood transfusions, with experts saying the life-saving but risky procedure is being used unnecessarily.

Rates of blood transfusion use differ noticeably between surgeons, and research indicates some are not careful enough to ensure patients don't bleed unnecessarily during surgery.

James Isbister, a professor from the University of Sydney's medical school, said some doctors were using blood transfusions too freely because they believed them to be benign. "If [blood transfusion] is not used appropriately it's got more possible complications than other therapies because you are basically doing a transplant," he said.

"We have talked about alternatives to transplants for years but … a lot of alternatives shouldn't be alternatives - stopping a patient bleeding is not an 'alternative'."

Advertisement

Hospital patients who are Jehovah's Witnesses - who refuse blood transfusions on religious grounds - actually do better than other patients.

Correction: Due to an editing error, an earlier version of this article incorrectly said Christians were given better treatment by doctors.

The only editing error I see is that it should have said: "True Christians, that is Jehovah's Witnesses were given better treatment by doctors."

We cannot incite if we are not in sight.___Heb.10:24,25

I don't know what your commericals are like, Here in Aussie. The TV is flooded with advertisements for giving blood. Why you should. & how it will help patience. I have noticed through much reading how advanced in the medical world. & a few return visits who have needed a major surgery done needed a tranfusion but they said no to the blood. as it was cheaper to use the alternative. A friend who is on the HLC. said the Dr's are amazed at how much cheaper on the hospital. Maybe the people who still support the Blood transfusions are worried they might be our of a job..

I find it amazing how Jehovah knew & still knows whats best for us humans

"It's a known fact that eighty decibels of rushing water is one of the most pleasing sounds known to mankind. On other hand, ten and a half days at sea is enough water for anybody." 

Yet Australia has at least 2 states-I think it is 3 that are actively promoting Patient Blood Management - the doctors just aren't paying attention.

In the state of Western Australia -they are in year 4 of a 5 year plan to implement PBM statewide- in fact it is in place Now- however the education part is falling behind-it is supposed to be completed by next year.

This is something that amazes me. I know of at least 2 cases in the past year -reported in the Aussy news of people ( one is definetely a witness- other-article didn't say ) receiving a HBOC ( hemoglobin based oxygen carrier ) specifically Hemepur ( made from molecule of bovine-cow's-blood ) { Polyheme is made from human blood } which is Not available in many nations- starting with the US when the FDA pulled all testing of current HBOC's 2 years ago.

It was only ever available to non-test patients, on compassionate grounds and is No Longer available to US doctors-for any reason!

How is then that Aussy doctors can get a product banned in the US - and is no longer even manufactured-although there is stock left?

Plus it is no longer available from S.Africa -the only place where HBOC's were ever legal for general use.

Consciousness, that annoying time between naps! :sleeping:

Yet Australia has at least 2 states-I think it is 3 that are actively promoting Patient Blood Management - the doctors just aren't paying attention.

In the state of Western Australia -they are in year 4 of a 5 year plan to implement PBM statewide- in fact it is in place Now- however the education part is falling behind-it is supposed to be completed by next year.

This is something that amazes me. I know of at least 2 cases in the past year -reported in the Aussy news of people ( one is definetely a witness- other-article didn't say ) receiving a HBOC ( hemoglobin based oxygen carrier ) specifically Hemepur ( made from molecule of bovine-cow's-blood ) { Polyheme is made from human blood } which is Not available in many nations- starting with the US when the FDA pulled all testing of current HBOC's 2 years ago.

It was only ever available to non-test patients, on compassionate grounds and is No Longer available to US doctors-for any reason!

How is then that Aussy doctors can get a product banned in the US - and is no longer even manufactured-although there is stock left?

Plus it is no longer available from S.Africa -the only place where HBOC's were ever legal for general use.

This is interesting. One to keep up the sleeve when a subject is brought up at the doors. From what I have seen & experienced, The Dr;s are something to be aware of down here.. As well as the Anathestis they are also are more pushy with the blood issue,

Another push in the medical industry is the Anti-D vac. for Mums who have had babies & whose blood type is different to the babies. This Vac that I know is made from human components of blood.& whats more is when you go for something major like the C section they make you sign a form to say whatever procedure is done or damage is done, then its not the hospitals responsiblities, I don't know if its the same standard around the world.?

"It's a known fact that eighty decibels of rushing water is one of the most pleasing sounds known to mankind. On other hand, ten and a half days at sea is enough water for anybody."