JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

(old news)Studies about hugging.

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 4188 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

How hugs can aid women's hearts

Women's heart health may benefit more from hugs than men's, a study suggests.

A team from the University of North Carolina studied the effects of hugging on both partners in 38 couples.

The study showed hugs increased levels of oxytocin, a "bonding" hormone, and reduced blood pressure - which cuts the risk of heart disease.

But, writing in the Psychosomatic Medicine, the researchers said women recorded greater reductions in blood pressure than men after their hugs.

“ This growing body of research only goes to highlight how important social support is for everyone, not just those in a relationship ”

Dr Charmaine Griffiths, British Heart Foundation

During the study, the men and women were taken to separate rooms to test their blood pressure and levels of oxytocin, which is released during childbirth and breastfeeding, and cortisol, a stress hormone.

The couples were then reunited and asked to sit together and talk about a time when they were particularly happy.

They then watched five minutes of a romantic film before being left to talk to each other for a further 10 minutes.

Next, the couples were asked to hug for 20 seconds.

Protection

Both men and women were seen to have higher levels of oxytocin after the hug.

People in loving relationships were found to have higher levels of the hormone than others.

But the study also found all women had reduced levels of cortisol following the hug, as well as reporting the blood pressure benefits.

The researchers, led by psychologist Dr Karen Grewen, wrote in Psychosomatic Medicine: "Greater partner support is linked to higher oxytocin levels for both men and women.

"However, the importance of oxytocin and its potentially cardioprotective effects may be greater for women."

Dr Charmaine Griffiths, spokesperson for the British Heart Foundation, said: "Scientists are increasingly interested in the possibility that positive emotions can be good for your health.

"This study has reinforced research findings that support from a partner, in this case a hug from a loved one, can have beneficial effects on heart health."

She added: "British Heart Foundation researchers have already demonstrated links between a positive emotional state, such as happiness, and low levels of the stress hormone, cortisol.

"This growing body of research only goes to highlight how important social support is for everyone, not just those in a relationship."

Story from BBC NEWS:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/2/hi/health/4131508.stm

Published: 2005/08/08 12:28:52 GMT

© BBC 2012

Modesty is not something we can simply define in a way that suits us.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Say what you mean. Mean what you say. But don't say it mean.

Free hugs anyone!

Micah 4:5 ......"we, for our part, shall walk in the name of Jehovah our God to time indefinite, even forever."

John 15:13 "No one has love greater than this, that someone should surrender his life in behalf of his friends."

This is not about just hugging anyone within less than 2 seconds.

The point I wanted to brought up is that, when you try to comfort an individual whether he/she is a brother or not, try to hug him/her that long (20 secs).

"This growing body of research only goes to highlight how important social support is for everyone, not just those in a relationship."

I loved that Aelon and Simon...made me smile today,I needed a smile and :givehug:

Hugs definately make me feel better.Long ones and short ones from all different sorts of people. One of my doctors I used to go to always hugged and squeezed me really tight when I saw him,he has hugged me at the Kingdom Hall to,he comes to meetings sometimes, that makes me feel really good.Also at my new Hall an elder there hugs me nearly everytime I see him...sometimes he stands there talking to me with his arm around my shoulder .I always feel better afterward.Sisters hug me to and kids of course...I love all sorts of hugs.But especially I love hugs from my husband and my son...my son quit hugging me for about a year :crying:....but it was a growing up phase and he's coming out of it.:hugs:

This is not about just hugging anyone within less than 2 seconds.

The point I wanted to brought up is that, when you try to comfort an individual whether he/she is a brother or not, try to hug him/her that long (20 secs).

I loved that Aelon and Simon...made me smile today,I needed a smile and :givehug:

I know several sisters who cannot do a lot but they are known for the hugs they give at the Kingdom Hall. When they are not there doling out hugs they are so missed. :grouphug: My greatest desire in the whole universe is to be there when Julie is resurrected and just hold her in my arms again.

It's also unBEARable.

I can't figure out how to reply to this thread - so I'll post here if it's ok. There are many sisters/brothers who do NOT like to be hugged for various reasons. That needs to be taken into consideration so that people are not offended if they get pushed away, or are discouraged in some other way, as they're trying to *hug* one of these people. Nothing personal (well, sometimes it is) but please take this into consideration when handing out free hugs at the KH. Thanks.

I can't figure out how to reply to this thread - so I'll post here if it's ok. There are many sisters/brothers who do NOT like to be hugged for various reasons. That needs to be taken into consideration so that people are not offended if they get pushed away, or are discouraged in some other way, as they're trying to *hug* one of these people. Nothing personal (well, sometimes it is) but please take this into consideration when handing out free hugs at the KH. Thanks.

Done.

And a free hug to you :grouphug:

Glad you are with us.

Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

I love hugs. When I changed congregations and moved away from where I grew up, life was totally differernt for me. I went from a cong that when you walk into the door and left to say goodbye. You had to hug and kiss. Mostly because of the beautiful Italian influences, Now My congregation is mostly Dutch and German. etc. Don't take me the wrong way. I love all backgrounds. I have been in the cong for 12yrs. At first many were taken back and didn't want to hug. Now they have come round and they are more huggy. :bouncing:

There is a jingle I love. A hugs a day, helps you to work, rest & play...lol.:squeeze:

"It's a known fact that eighty decibels of rushing water is one of the most pleasing sounds known to mankind. On other hand, ten and a half days at sea is enough water for anybody." 

Our cong elders and bro don't really kiss and hug us sisters. We had an item a couple of months back about it and ever since noone kisses a sis now, because they are afraid of getting to close to a sis or the wrong intention being portrayed I think everyone is on egg shells its a shame really. I can manage to hug a bro without wondering if I am coming across the wrong way. It was abit ott at the time I think.

I think as answers went on it went from not being over friendly with a sis to, actually its best not to even peck on a cheek anyone whos not your wife, just to make sure.

I do find it abit cold sometimes especially when I go to other congs and there are bros that come straight up and give you a kiss. I didnt realise this bothered me until I started writing I may have to address it

I appreciate you posting this about hugging. I learned that teenagers need this oxytocin even more, due to their hormones and also from growing into young adults therefore they need even more hugs from their parents and when parents hug their children, especially dads hugging their teenage daughters that the daughter is less likely to find attention elsewhere, such as the world.

I don't ever remember getting hugs from either of my parents. Grumpys family were not huggers either, but Grumpy is a great hugger and I have learned that I really like hugs but I only hug people that I really like. My dear brother, mentally challanged, is starved for affection and he hugs me about 10 times every time he sees me. It is not always comfortable for me, but I know he needs it so much, so I try very hard not to pull away. My brother is very tall and very big and he sometimes overwhelms me.

For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.