JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Right or Left Brain Thinker?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree I think they are having us on. I can't see how it could be anti clockwise I have re-played it about 20 times slowed it down frame by frame. her leg and even the position of her foot are turning clock-wise. as is her whole body and face.:perplexed:

Hubby sees it clock-wise and I can tell you the left side of the brain diagnoses fits him perfectly.

Hmm we did spank our kids.

and our son never had kids and he sees it anti-clockwise.

I agree I think they are having us on. I can't see how it could be anti clockwise I have re-played it about 20 times slowed it down frame by frame. her leg and even the position of her foot are turning clock-wise. as is her whole body and face.:perplexed:

Hubby sees it clock-wise and I can tell you the left side of the brain diagnoses fits him perfectly.

Hmm we did spank our kids.

and our son never had kids and he sees it anti-clockwise.

Down in OZ, doesn't the water go down the toilet (loo) counter clockwise? Here it goes down clockwise :)

If someone does find a cure to make 5year olds sit still please let me know.lol

I'm with you, Gabe. These are all rediculous & a major waste of money but I like # 6 the most, #6 The Department of Health and Human Services plans to spend $500 million on a program that will, among other things, seek to solve the problem of 5-year-old children that “can’t sit still” in a kindergarten classroom. :taz: It just made me laugh that they can be so stupid!:lol1:

!

Down in OZ, doesn't the water go down the toilet (loo) counter clockwise? Here it goes down clockwise

Hey I think I need a visit to the optician and maybe a psychologist because I was sure the water here went down the toilet (n Australia) but in the states it went up the toilet.

Maybe it is the bathtub you are thinking about the water going clockwise and anticlockwise I hope you don't get the two mixed up.:upsidedown::no:

Down in OZ, doesn't the water go down the toilet (loo) counter clockwise? Here it goes down clockwise

Hey I think I need a visit to the optician and maybe a psychologist because I was sure the water here went down the toilet (n Australia) but in the states it went up the toilet.

Maybe it is the bathtub you are thinking about the water going clockwise and anticlockwise I hope you don't get the two mixed up.:upsidedown::no:

So the water (among other things) doesn't go down when you pull the little handle on the side of the toilet tank? I really thought Australians were almost as advanced as us here on the top of the world! :)

When I was a kid we had this TV show. Curiosty a science experiement show, from the egg going through the top of a milk bottle jar. to the water going down the loo. They said to add some food dye then flush and see which way the water went. LOL.

I used to repair washing machines back in the 90's and One that I worked on was a Malley's and another a Simspon. they are both giant machines and they had the same parts from the bowls to the pumps etc. and even the gearboxes were similar. which made it handy for repairing and replacing the parts especially the pumps. The thing that got me stuck was they both needed a special wrench, which dad had made and you would have to smack it to bits with this big fat lead hammer that dad had made. to undo the giant hex like nuts. Or use a welder to get the nut loose. except one would. which was the Malleys it needed to be undone to the right and the Simspon needed to go to the left. I would sometimes get confused as to which way I needed to undo these nuts. LOL. They no longer make the Malleys so its now easier to think LOL.

"It's a known fact that eighty decibels of rushing water is one of the most pleasing sounds known to mankind. On other hand, ten and a half days at sea is enough water for anybody." 

So the water (among other things) doesn't go down when you pull the little handle on the side of the toilet tank? I really thought Australians were almost as advanced as us here on the top of the world! smile

We are buttons pushes. I can remember at school there was a long chain you pulled.

When you flush it goes down and stays down but in the States doesn't the water come up again.

When you first go into the toilet in the States you think I my goodness there is a blockage because the toilet water is right up near the seat.

but in Australia in goes to the bottom of the pan after you flush.

I think the States is such a better idea much much cleaner.

I know in some countries they have to just squat over a hole or straddle. In Australia some upbeat toilets automatically flush after you finish.

Some doors just frost over when you go in I don't like it especially as they are uni-sex and you can vaguely see an outline.

oh boy is this ever off the topic:offtopic:

So the water (among other things) doesn't go down when you pull the little handle on the side of the toilet tank? I really thought Australians were almost as advanced as us here on the top of the world! smile

We are buttons pushes. I can remember at school there was a long chain you pulled.

When you flush it goes down and stays down but in the States doesn't the water come up again.

When you first go into the toilet in the States you think I my goodness there is a blockage because the toilet water is right up near the seat.

but in Australia in goes to the bottom of the pan after you flush.

I think the States is such a better idea much much cleaner.

I know in some countries they have to just squat over a hole or straddle. In Australia some upbeat toilets automatically flush after you finish.

Some doors just frost over when you go in I don't like it especially as they are uni-sex and you can vaguely see an outline.

oh boy is this ever off the topic:offtopic:

Are't those automatic loos annoying. Sounds like Nimroy out of Star trek. LOL."" The door is now locked.""

"It's a known fact that eighty decibels of rushing water is one of the most pleasing sounds known to mankind. On other hand, ten and a half days at sea is enough water for anybody." 

Yes, you have deviated from my original question, which in itself has noting to do with the "left brain/right brain" topic!

When you flush the toilet, or drain the bathtub for that matter, does the water go down clockwise, or counterclockwise?

Inquiring minds want to know :laugh:

Yes, you have deviated from my original question, which in itself has noting to do with the "left brain/right brain" topic!

When you flush the toilet, or drain the bathtub for that matter, does the water go down clockwise, or counterclockwise?

Inquiring minds want to know :laugh:

I may be wrong but I think Musky's question comes from watching to much of "The Simpsons" in particular the Simpson's episode "Bart Vs. Australia."

We cannot incite if we are not in sight.___Heb.10:24,25

My Uncle he is aussie. But has lived in Canada since the 60"S . I Would ask him about the Water. He.d say if the Yankees stand on there heads that they would see the correct way the water flows. Lol. Aussie is the right way up.. Its the Yankees that are :upsidedown: lol.

Here's the answer.....to swirling toilet water.

Myth 3: Does water swirl counter-clockwise in the Southern Hemisphere?

The answer: yes and no. When applied to toilets and sinks, this is one of those “too good to be true” science factoids, I’m afraid. But it does apply in some situations.

The myth goes that if you flush a toilet in Australia the water swirls down the drain the opposite way than in the northern hemisphere, due the Coriolis effect (an apparent force which describes how objects veer to the left or right when traveling on something that’s rotating — see the link above for a good visualization of this).

If there were no other forces on that water in the sink or toilet, that would be true. The Coriolis effect does actually make hurricanes rotate the opposite direction in the two hemispheres. But for toilets and sinks it’s another story. The toilet myth is easy to dispell — just peek around the rim of the toilet and you’ll see that the water is jetted into the bowl at an angle, which determines the direction the water swirls. Sinks, however, are a little more tricky.

I’ve heard of charlatans who hang around the equator in Kenya, carrying basins of water. They’ll stand on the southern side of the equator with the basin, pull a plug at the bottom, and show that it swirls out counter-clockwise. Then they’ll walk to the northern side of the equator, fill the basin and pull the plug, and it swirls out clockwise. Irrefutable proof? Be careful! You have to know all the initial conditions in any experiment, and in this one, there is one that is hidden from you. The huckster just has to add a slight rotation to the water before letting it out (for example, pour the water in at a very slight angle to give it an initial rotation, and it will “remember” that rotation as it swirls out of the basin. In fact, you can swirl the water in the basin, then walk away from it for several hours, and it will still “remember” that rotation when you pull the plug! Plus, the charlatans got it backwards — water should actually swirl counter-clockwise in the northern hemisphere if the Coriolis effect were at play! (See Alistair Fraser’s website for a great explanation of how you can re-create this fakery for a fun party trick!)

Even if you don’t give the water an initial swirl, tiny pits and imperfections in the basin can give the water a rotation — which may be clockwise or counterclockwise, but doesn’t depend on which hemisphere you’re in!

Thanks Nancy. Great explanation. I did a test in the sink,with some food dye. You can see which way the water swells. Lol

ok just for you I have filled up my bathtub and the water went counter clockwise down the drain.

I flushed my toilet 3 times the water goes down straight as a die

as I explained when you flush your water is about I'd say 10 litres in the bowl and it goes down the drain so it would swirl either clock-wise or counterclockwise

but we only have about 600 ml (I think thats a couple of gill) of water sitting in the bowl when we flush water comes out from the cistern pushing it down so it doesn't swirl.

we have all our water in the cistern not the bowl.

I think I need a plumber to explain this.

This reminds me of Professor Julius Sumner he did a tv program and proved all sorts of things like this.

135795=7561-toilet.gif By Hannah Holmes You know the legend: In the northern hemisphere, water goes down the toilet clockwise. And it twirls counterclockwise in the southern hemisphere. It's a cool factoid, in itself. And it has a cool name -- the Coriolis Force. There's no painless way to explain how Coriolis works, though, so gird your intellectual loins for a small war. . The first battle will be to visualize the spinning planet to which the toilet is fastened: Slice the Earth at the equator like a grapefruit, and flatten the northern hemisphere into a plate. Now spin it counterclockwise. The North Pole, you'll notice, turns quite slowly. Move out to 45 degrees latitude (Minneapolis) on the plate and here the ground is buzzing along at about 730 miles per hour. Move way out to the edge of the plate and the equator is turning at 1,040 miles per hour. (Visual aid: Picture a line of people walking arm-in-arm, with one end of the line always at the North Pole. To hold their formation, the people on the outside have to run and the people near the Pole have to creep.) Got it? At the equator the ground moves fastest; at the poles, it moves slowest. . The second battle involves visualizing a sloshy substance hovering over the spinning Earth. Round out the Earth again, and picture a stationary air mass hovering over the equator at, say, the Amazon basin. This air is stationary only in relation to the Earth. Viewed from space, that air is actually moving at about 1,040 miles per hour, keeping pace with the ground beneath it. Now excise a neat cube of that air, and shove it north to the 45th parallel. The ground here is moving under the cube of air at 740 miles per hour, but the cube of air continues tooling along at 1,040 miles per hour. Whereas it was stationary relative to the Amazon, now it's moving east at 290 miles per hour, relative to its new home on the 45th parallel. (This is Newton's First Law: Objects in motion, including cubes of air, are obligated to stay in motion until they get permission from a brick wall, or a more subtle force, to slow down.) To recap: Push a floating object north, and it will appear, relative to the earth, to pick up speed and move east. . The third battle is a cakewalk. When you pushed air north from the equator, it appeared to gain speed and move east. Now take a cube of air from over the slow-spinning North Pole, and nudge it south toward the 45th, where the earth sweeps beneath it faster: As a cube of air that was stationary near the pole moves south, it appears to slow down, and veer westward. (Visual aid: Betty, at the center of a merry-go-round, throws a ball to Billy at the merry-go-round's edge. By the time the ball reaches the edge, however, the merry-go-round has moved out from under it. Billy sees the ball fall "west" of him.) OK, hold those thoughts: Either way you shove a block of air, from north to south, or south to north, it appears to be deflected to its right -- or clockwise. Now consider a toilet in Minneapolis. The toilet is connected to the earth, but the water is merely sloshing around over it, like a mass of air. The whole contraption, however, is whipping around the earth's axis at 730 miles per hour. The catch is that water floating at the north end of the bowl has a scidge less ground to cover per second; and the water hovering over the south end has a skidge more ground to cover. So the water at the north gets a little bit ahead, the water at the south gets a little bit behind, and when you flush, the clockwise twirl comes to fruition. (To get the southern-hemisphere view, revisit your spinning plate, walk to its underside, and you'll note that instead of turning from your right to your left, the planet is now turning from your left to your right. Take my word for it: Everything else is reversed, too.) Ah, but this has all been a cruel and painful joke. . It turns out that even a toilet a mile wide might still be too tiny to exhibit Coriolan tendencies -- the water simply isn't hovering over enough latitudes to feel The Force. It takes a mass of air many miles in diameter to demonstrate the infamous toilet twirl, and even then, Coriolis is often foiled by friction with the ground and barometric high jinks. So while all of this spinning and shoving can help explain prevailing winds and other large-scale phenomena, the twirl in your toilet is determined by jets of water filling the bowl, the shape of the drain, or, for those who cannot let this myth go -- and I've encountered many of them -- the Coriolis Fairy. Vocabulary: n. Coriolis isn't even a real force, since it doesn't make anything speed up or slow down -- it only explains why things appear to speed or slow as the world spins out from under them. This sort of impostor is known as a fictitious force. Hope this clears up the delema.

For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.