JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

International Convention in Hamilton NZ, Catches Media Attention

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 4089 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

Annual District Conventions are being held simultaneously in several different locations around New Zealand starting tomorrow.

The "STUFF" website in NZ published the following story...

"Ten thousand Jehovah's Witnesses are about to descend on the city for a major conference and the door knockers are already out in force to invite residents along."

Read more here...

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/8157507/Everyones-invited-to-Jehovahs-conference

Hi Dave. We had our convention in Porirua. Wasnt the convention brilliant. Very stirring talks and drama. Lovely to know over 20,000 at all the conventions. Still potential for more honest hearted ones to come into Jehovahs organisation.

Hi Carolyn,

Yes I totally agree, The whole weekend was absolutely marvellous.

I was involved in some additional activities for showing hospitality to the visiting delegats. It was really nice getting to talk to some of our brothers and sisters from all over the world.

I accompanied them on an Auckland harbour cruise and then later that same day met them again for further association at the SOUTH AUCKLAND ASSEMBLY HALL where a number of cultural performances had been arranged by the local brothers and sisters (Samoan, Tongan, Nuiean, Fijian & Rarotongan). None of those quite matched the Maori choir which sang so beautifully after the concluding prayer on the last day, but it was all good fun with lots of laughter and applause.

There was also a news item covering the convention generally which appeared on Maori TV which somebody uploaded to U-tube. You might like to take a look here:

One or two of the B&S's interviewed on TV I met over the course of the weekend.

These experiences are so encouraging brother thank you so much for sharing this with us May Jehovah God continue to bless you all and his holy spirit continue to guide the faith and discreet slaves to continue giving us this assembly and all this encouraging information. Thank you Dave

I was particularly impressed with the news coverage shown on Maori TV. They even created a graphic showing where all the venues were throughout the country. I almost got the impression that someone working at Maori TV might have been a witness. If not, whoever prepared the story seemed well familiar with our terminology.

Thank you so much, Dave~Your posts are so encouraging and the news from your local media shows how Jehovah is working with you faithful friends to get more increase in N.Z. I pray your dear wife will regain her health. She is no doubt thankful to have a husband who cares for her so much. I loved seeing her home in Japan and the beautiful gardens. I hope her family will see that Jehovah's Witnesses are different than the world in general and be drawn to His Mountain.

:bible:

Jehovah is "walking upon the wings of the wind" PS. 104:3b

cat2_e0.gif

Thank you Elizabeth for your kind words.

One particular highlight for everyone I've spoken to was the special performance of song number 134 after the concluding song and prayer. It was performed by a maori choir in traditional maori style.

It was such an emotionally charged end to such a wonderful convention. There was hardly a dry eye to be seen anywhere.

The performance was simulcast to all 7 venues throughout NZ. Here is a link to a U-tube recording of it.

It's the only one I've seen of the actual live performance. Shame it wasn't filmed front-on as the warmth in the brothers facial expressions and gestures was priceless.

This is a translation of what the brother said in Maori:

"Thank you to the delegates for coming to our convention and making it so special. All praise to Jehovah for making it possible. Even though oceans divide us our love for Jehovah unites us."

Thank you Dave for the video clip of our brothers. Maori TV certainly gave a favourable coverage of the convention and my family and I enjoyed the interview with Melvin Nepia as he and his dear wife Jacquie served in our congregation here is Palmerston North East some years ago before recieving their asasignment to Tonga where they are still based. Their were many tearful eyes at the end of our convention too! The new brochures are going to be invaluable in our service to Jehovah and I have certain individuals in mind that I will be using them on. If there are any more clips from the convention we would love to see them. Jehovah bless.

Hi Carolyn,

There are at least 2 other versions of this on U-tube but they are both recordings off the large screen not live.

The good thing is they show it front-on which I feel is a better viewpoint. Obviously picture and sound clarity aren't as good.

In these ones you can see a cute little child dressed in maori cultural attire holding the hand of their parent while performing – so cute!

The first one shows what was seen in Auckland including some translation for the deaf, who used very expressive signing...

The second one shows the Wellington venue which has better picture quality.

Unfortunately for them their video feed froze after the brothers little speech. After that they were left with audio only. But the videographer did a good job capturing the venue...

• 4 weeks later...