JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Indian blanket

We love The Antiques Roadshow, it's what got us into our business. It's a great education of craftsmanship of the past and how such items are valued today.

Wow - so pleased for this man with his item. This was more than a help for him in his dire situation.

We had a much smaller but similar experience in our congregation. An elderly couple, both in poor health, and who came into the Truth late in life. Their daughter died leaving them to care for her young daughter. They were struggling with only a small pension and a wayward young teen to care for. We went to visit them. As we were listening to their tales of hospital visits and home woes, I noticed that their late daughter's collie dog got out of it's bed and it's blanket looked as if it was hand-stitched woolwork.

I asked the elderly sister about the blanket. She said that it was some old thing of her Grandad's. We asked if we could take it out and look at it. When I unfolded it, it depicted all the old flags of most of the world in woolwork and was dated 1871. Her Grandad was a sailor. He stitched a flag for every country he visited during quiet times on his voyages. Some flags were of countries that are now parts of different countries today or their flags no longer exist (eg: double-headed crowned eagle of the Imperial Russian Empire). We asked if we could get advice for it. We took it to the Maritime Museum at Maryport - where the White Star Line started (Titanic). They offered a few hundred pounds for it and the elderly couple were stunned and agreed to sell it. They spent the money on a nice holiday for themselves and their grand-daughter. We were so pleased for them.

I am happy for the guy as he could really benifit from the sale in a positive way.

My mom bought an Indian blanket for about $1200.00 off the reservation in NM back in the 80's and before she died she gave it to one of her nieces and her niece uses it for a horse blanket for under the saddle. That's real horse sense, not.

We cannot incite if we are not in sight.___Heb.10:24,25

• 2 months later...

This made me feel so good. It is the ones that are struggling that I appreciate such as this. I just hope he is not like so many who get windfalls and it pretty well ruins them. One guy even got murdered. I, if it is true, like the way Warren Buffet lives. Well below his means. In this day and age, that is a good idea. Show off that money, and you may be setting yourself up. We had a home invasion up the hill from us. Drugs, but we keep our gate closed at night. Do not want people to think we grow the stuff. And we are alone in that fact on this hill. More of a story there....

I want to age without sharp corners, and have an obedient heart!