JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

When My Project Is Finished

pinkpopcorn

If I had the money. Yarn today is very expensive. Crafting, like knitting and crocheting has spiked worldwide. I see things I would love to make but I am now on a fixed income. :cry: I absolutely LOVE to crochet. It has been a saving grace that kept me from going to the rubber room! That and my daughter Julie's loving care of me when I was out of commission. She really did take care of me for a number of years. Miss her.:(

Hey Chris, I'm making an afghan too! I've always wanted a particluar one for my bed. I wanted to make one into a comforter. I'm knitting this time. I will have to make 5 panels of 50 regular stitches wide. Each panel is 2 skeins long, I have a king. And each panel goes from one side of the bed to the other. After connecting all 5 panels, a sis will attach my afghan to a king size top sheet. Then I will get another top sheet and put natural batting in between. We will then put it together like a quilt- with bits of string pulled thru to connect batting and sheets and afghan. Then sew all 4 sides together. I figure it'll take about a year. I'm on my 2nd. panel. (whew! I'm tired just explaining all this!)

Do you have a picture of your afghan? How big is it? I bet you do some pretty stitches.

Safeguard Your Heart for " Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks" Matthew 12:34

Oh that would be wonderful. Look forward to seeing them.

I don't know how to do anything but large stitch and small stitch crochet, knit and pearl, rows only and nothing in a pattern. Sheesh. No talent. But we do enjoy and fight over the afghans I've done.

My daughter - and even my 5year old granddaughter have snuck some out of the house!

Safeguard Your Heart for " Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks" Matthew 12:34

purses+-+Benices+G+daughter.jpg

I had left over yarn in bright pastels and began making little girls purses. This little girl chose an Autumn theme purse.

http://xa.yimg.com/kq/groups/2038447/sn/597412829/name/Amanda%26%2339%3Bs+Jillian+11+days+old.jpg

This yarn is so soft and creamy it feels like butter.

andrew+on+my+baby+blanket.jpg

This is a cool yarn. It is variegated and makes it's own color pattern. I love making large baby blankets the child can cover up with for many years.

crochet+cute+shoes.jpg

These little shoes are SO much fun to make!

I can really relate to Dorcas who made things for the sisters. They loved her so much and showed her creations to Peter after she died. Nice way to be remembered. :dance:

They invite me to showers hoping I made something special for the new baby or soon to be married couple. I love giving my wares to others. There is, after all, more happiness being the giver. :backflip:

Thanks! My mother swears I got the family 'crochet gene' from my great grandmother, who could look at something, go home and make it. I can do that often. When you have been doing something for so long you have the basic concept of how things go together. If you examine something you can replicate it.

One of the coolest things I made was a specific purse. I was watching Home Shopping Network and saw a cool nightlight they were selling. It was zebra striped with aqua colors in the design. I had the yarn and designed a way cool purse from seeing a nightlight??? :perplexed: Odd paring but it worked. I also sewed a rose in reddish pink wool, then felted it and put it on the front that sets it off to a T. Wish I could show you the purse.

Felting looks like this:

felted-heart-flower.jpg

Now just imagine - THIS is yarn and looks like cotton candy! Love the technique.

Chris, Yea, I understand the 'see it and be able to do it' gene. I believe we all have it in different areas. But yours is particularly beautiful. I wish I lived closer to you so you could teach me so I could teach my grand daughter. She messes with my yarn as I make my scarves. I have a tan one working now. I just did the pink one and the blue one last week. The yarn is so shimmery and they are made long and thin. I get hot really easy so I like to loop them loosly so I don't get over heated.

151609=8313-scarves 001.JPG

Cheryl I love the scarves! I have worked with that type of yarn before but it makes me kinda nutty. I cannot SEE the stitches where I need to next work and must go by feel only. It is daunting to me because I am very visual. Crocheting with this fluffy yarn or 'eyelash' yarn is like making an item out of pubic hair. Not a medium I would ever choose. ::o:lol1:

Chris I got a nice belly laugh out of your last post! Pubic hair! Giggle. But I do know what you mean about not being able to see the loops and ease of putting the needle where it needs to be. I've had this yarn from projects I started years ago and since TV is making me crazy lately (they keep cancelling the good shows and put on sexually explicit, rude, demonic or "reality" programs) I've switched my habits to listening to jazz and knitting, or jazz and studying, or jazz and cooking. And like I said earlier I'm still doing my huge king size afghan. I'm on the 3rd of 5 panels. When I get this one done I'll take a pic, post for you and see what you think. You're more expert than me. I do know what I want but a suggestion from you as to how to put it together better would be welcome.

151731=8324-cute-girl-hands-smiley-emoti

• 2 weeks later...

Actually the pattern for these shoes is, in my opinion, too deep. So I tailor mine from the original pattern I bought. I think cotton would be fine for this because it uses 4 ply yarn. If you want to make smaller shoes use thinner yarn and a smaller hook.

Actually the pattern for these shoes is, in my opinion, too deep. So I tailor mine from the original pattern I bought. I think cotton would be fine for this because it uses 4 ply yarn. If you want to make smaller shoes use thinner yarn and a smaller hook.

That was my thought also on the yarn, and I was going to use an F hook. I don't want them 'fluffy'...but they need some give. I found some cute buttons .

Sometimes I buy old clothes at Goodwill/yardsales just for the buttons.I love buttons.:crush:

I'll post a picture of what I make.

I have to tell you what has happened here. For over a year my sister and I had been trying to sell our crocheting using our website, which I have not renewed. One reason is because it needs constant watching like a garden. My sister told me she would watch the mail but it became too much for both of us. I know this is part of doing business but for me it is the part I hate!!!!!!!!! I want to crochet not do business. My df'd daughter said she'd sell my wares locally at a shop that she found. BUT, that requires that she be here periodically and that means she will think nothing of freely associating. She is my girl and I love her. She came back into our lives when Julie was sick and dying and now we are having difficulty making her see the need for us to not be in each others lives UNLESS it is an emergency.

I have prayed about this and left it in Jehovah's hands. Last weekend Vernalee was here in Lakeland with her sister. I brought over to Mom's house, where they stayed at Mom's B&BYOB, some of my crocheting. Some items had been priced for sale. A guy named Tony takes care of my mother by checking in on her and feeding her cat when Mom goes somewhere. He is epileptic and cannot work, rides around in a golf cart thru the neighborhood. He also mows Mom's large yard and rakes. So he is her trusted handyman. Well, he sells stuff at a local garage sale once or twice a month. He saw all the things I had at Mom's and told her that they would sell for the prices I have labeled on them!!!!!! So, we shall see how this works. I am hoping for a blessing here since I am refusing to be in business with my daughter in her current state. Pray for me.