JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Beards Keep You Young, Healthy & Handsome, Says Science

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 4047 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

When I lived in California a few black Brothers had "sole patches" (I wanted one so bad). Here in Montana about 1/3 of the brothers have mustaches. A few weeks ago we had a visiting speaker from a very small Montana town and his mustache was well below his bottom lip on the sides:cowboy:. A total cowboy mustache. Even his suit was "cowboy cut". But if you think about it, when he goes out in service in his area he would be more accepted as looking local and not like a "city slicker". I'd say a quarter of the brothers in our hall wear cowboy boots on the stage. I like to wear my 1990's Bo Jackson Nike's....... kidding (tu)

Baseball is in the Bible... Gen 1:1 "In the big inning".

I am a black brother and I have a soul patch. Because of my skin color it is not prominent and it not a low one, basically a tiny "v" shape. I have been serving as an Elder for 18 years. The only time I was ever approached was by the District Overseer's wife. She asked me about it and I told her it is my "flavor saver".

She laughed...

Don't call me a Texan, I am a Chicagoan!!!!!! I am in Texas due to a forced move. I am only in Texas til I can get my husband to take me out of here!!!! :pray:

hahaha, .....sorry....dont want to offend someone from Texas, or Chicago, or anywhere....lol...

altho, dont really find the charm in the windy city....I lived in Davenport IA for a couple years, went to Chicago 3-4 times, didnt really like it. Was there on Lakeshore dr in January, last year, ice everywhere, brrrrr....Denise is a big Bears fan tho....

I was born in SoCal, grew up on beaches...anything below 50 is cold to me...and lived down near Palm Springs for seven years before coming here to Colfax in '97,,,didnt mind the 100 to 120F days...worked as a weldor so I was often in the sun, in leathers and gloves...did alright for the most part..

@Dave--I'm ok, dyin a little every day, just like everybody else....

Good to hear your workin....man, to smell some lo-hy or get some P5 spatter in my gloves or down my shirt all the way to my boots, sweat dripping into my lens.....the good old days!!.....sure miss that---the 211 sizzle, barkin pipeliners, ...oh yeah.....nuthin like makin a SA250 grunt hard.....lol..

where you at?....whatcha doin?.....thought you had a seat somewhere..off the booms for a while?...

what wire you runnin?...always did like Fabshield 21-B.....and always hated Core-Shield 8..smoke makes me sneeze

Yeah, never really liked Nelsons, the guns funny and it is soooo boring--

I'm out in Asheville either sitting in a rig or out welding decking. Doing some welding. Last there days i been welding studs. Got like 2000 to weld down. I'm 800 into it now. We are building a floor inside a building. I'm welding the studs down with 7014 5/32 @275amps.

gotcha.....backaches and burnt underarms and necks.....and galvy pops in your clothes......been there...

used to use a stud gun on WF...not much fun, just work, would rather stick em or mig em....

thru decking is the pits.....tho 14 is ok to use.....275 seems kinda hot, even for 5/32....

Have fun buddy, wish I could help.....really...:hammer:

Ha using .068 232 @ 39 volts and 275 ipm. Will remove the decking and weld those studs down no questions asked. Don't have big enough gun for that kind of duty cycle. Need a 500 amp gun. My suitcase should handle the heat. Anyway i killed the gun so I'm using rod now. We don't have stud gun, i probably go faster using the stick.

Also i use 212 wire for light welding. Come put these studs in for me

@Dave..

Yeah, when the 211 first came out, everyone was all 'wow' and we welded tons of stuff with it...it was awesome...

I was working in the Palm Springs/Indio CA area, and I built hundreds of columns and beams and connectors and such with it....easy to run, any position, loved it...

That is a Zone 10 earth quake area......Then, years after we had put up all these K-marts and custom multi million dollar homes and all, from San Diego to Fresno, From Laguna Beach to Palmdale....yes, even the NASA hangers for the SpaceShuttle at Edwards, they start telling us its not good for those apps, dont multi-pass, dont use over 3/8 and then 5/16 material, blahblahblah......oops....:oops:

Bottom line?....if your in Palm Springs, and in a large building, and an earthquake hits...........RUN!.....:eek:

(especially the Desert Island Hotel ball room....I know for a fact that the 700 pound chandelier is held up by ONE piece of 3/8 all thread, welded inside of an 2x2x1/4 angle, with NR211MP....I put it there..(I also put a piece of 3/8 chain on it, my own idea, cuz I just didnt feel right about that all-thread))

I would call moses, abraham and many others in our magazines with beards serious brothers

Stuagu,

cmon,..lol. i meant morden brothers. Are those even "brothers"?

It is not important where we serve nor in what capacity but, rather, whom we serve. MARKUS HARTLIEF

Beards?...on the men, obviously.

I guess it all depends where you live and the local custom. Around here, in the 21st century there should not be a problem - unless your Body of Elders have got a hang up about them. Some of the older elders have very long memories !

I do recall the Watchtowers about not imposing our personal tastes upon others or expecting everyone to dress the way that we do. In the U K a neat beard is very common in business and the serious media - so what is the problem?????

I would call moses, abraham and many others in our magazines with beards serious brothers

Stuagu,

:ojust walk away stuagu:dance:... dont take the bait! :bringiton:

grummit ... your reasonableness is there for all to see :notworthy:

christian love

Stuagu,

C'mon Stu, just kinda 'tug' on it a bit, without swallowing...just tease him a bit, lets see what hes got---goStu goStu goStu:boating::taz:

(and ya know Stu, I love your beard...it makes you look like...um..my Brother)

Everytime one of our brothers starts to grow a beard, one of our elders who is "anti-beard" counsels them, saying they will never have privileges or be appointed as elders etc. When I was sound servant, I was told not to use a certain brother for roving mikes now he had grown a beard.

Gen 1:27. God created them male and female. Jehovah designed my face to grow hair. And it was not so I could spend a few minutes everyday shaving it off. I think I look better with a short beard.:beard2:

The only reason not to grow a beard is if it would stumble some in the ministry, or stop them from listening to the good news. In some congregations territory that would be the case, but for many it is not.

Out here where I'm at beards are accepted in the community. In the congregation however no one has a beard. I'd love to have one but I'm not going to push the issue. As soon as word comes down saying beards are acceptable by the branch I'm growing mine

Chris... how did I not know that you are part Italian? Which part of Italy.. do you know. My grandfather came from Calabria and my grandmother from Naples. I wish I had known them. They died the year after I was born. I am looking forward to meeting them in they New System.

What is interesting is that I pluck mine out! I am from an Italian family. Trouble is the Irish side (the hairless ones) didn't win out over the Mediterranean one.

Sad, huh brothers?? And nobody will allow me to work any mics! What gives? :beard:

Peace...... Love...... &....... Paradise...... :heart:  :heart:  :heart: 

What is interesting is that I pluck mine out! I am from an Italian family. Trouble is the Irish side (the hairless ones) didn't win out over the Mediterranean one.

Sad, huh brothers?? And nobody will allow me to work any mics! What gives? :beard:

Hahaha :lol2:

beards.jpg